Article: Is Internet Explorer More Secure than Firefox?

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by shegeek72, Sep 28, 2006.

  1. shegeek72

    shegeek72 Guest

    Don't blow your top, there are mitigating factors. :)

    http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/posts.aspx?id=17414

    "New research suggests that there are more flaws yet to be found in the
    current version of the Firefox web browser (version 1.5) than in the
    current version of Internet Explorer (version 6, and its updates).
    Furthermore, the researchers say, a larger proportion of Firefox's
    vulnerabilities are severe."

    "However, the researchers also determined that more vulnerabilities in
    Firefox are corrected with software patches than flaws in Internet
    Explorer, which could mitigate the effects, says computer scientist
    Yashwant K. Malaiya of Colorado State University and his team. The
    findings will be presented in November at the International Symposium
    on Software Reliability Engineering in Raleigh, NC."

    [...]
    --
    sound science /n. phr./ Whatever sounds like science and is favorable
    to Republicans.

    shegeek72, Sep 28, 2006

  2. shegeek72 wrote:
    > Don't blow your top, there are mitigating factors. :)
    >
    > http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/posts.aspx?id=17414
    >
    > "New research suggests that there are more flaws yet to be found in the
    > current version of the Firefox web browser (version 1.5) than in the
    > current version of Internet Explorer (version 6, and its updates).
    > Furthermore, the researchers say, a larger proportion of Firefox's
    > vulnerabilities are severe."
    >
    > "However, the researchers also determined that more vulnerabilities in
    > Firefox are corrected with software patches than flaws in Internet
    > Explorer, which could mitigate the effects, says computer scientist
    > Yashwant K. Malaiya of Colorado State University and his team. The
    > findings will be presented in November at the International Symposium
    > on Software Reliability Engineering in Raleigh, NC."
    >
    > [...]
    > --
    > sound science /n. phr./ Whatever sounds like science and is favorable
    > to Republicans.

    was it really neccessary to crosspost this message? crosspost snipped

    Mozilla Champion (Dan), Sep 28, 2006

  3. shegeek72

    HiEv Guest

    shegeek72 wrote:
    > Don't blow your top, there are mitigating factors. :)
    >
    > http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/posts.aspx?id=17414

    [snip]

    Do those "mitigating factors" explain why IE currently has not one but
    TWO security holes rated "Extremely critical", the worst possible
    rating, out of 20 open security problems, with 32 items since the
    beginning of '05:

    http://secunia.com/product/11/?task=advisories_2006

    while Firefox currently has only 3 open security problems, and the worst
    is rated "Less critical", also out of 32 items since the beginning of
    '05?:

    http://secunia.com/product/4227/?task=advisories_2006

    Also, for IE 47% of the advisories are high (32%) or extremely critical
    (15%), while only 36% of Firefox's were high (33%) or extremely critical
    (3%). So, not only are Firefox's security problems less severe, but
    they get dealt with more quickly, even though they come out just about
    as often.

    Personally though, I prefer Opera:

    http://secunia.com/product/10615/?task=advisories_2006

    Anyways, the study is just /predicting/ more security holes. As to
    whether their predictions are accurate we can only wait and see, but so
    far the evidence still says Firefox is safer than IE.

    --
    The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence
    has its limits.

    HiEv, Sep 29, 2006
  4. shegeek72

    Big Bad Bob Guest

    HiEv wrote:
    > Do those "mitigating factors" explain why IE currently has not one but
    > TWO security holes rated "Extremely critical", the worst possible
    > rating, out of 20 open security problems, with 32 items since the
    > beginning of '05:

    doubtful. but yeah, preaching to the choir and all of that, anyone who
    wants a REAL test can spend time on-line with firefox on one box, and IE
    on another box, and just visit whatever web sites you want to, click on
    links that look fun, etc. and see who gets spyware/trojan'd first.

    Big Bad Bob, Sep 29, 2006
  5. shegeek72

    Morgan Guest

    Big Bad Bob wrote:
    > HiEv wrote:
    > > Do those "mitigating factors" explain why IE currently has not one but
    > > TWO security holes rated "Extremely critical", the worst possible
    > > rating, out of 20 open security problems, with 32 items since the
    > > beginning of '05:

    > doubtful. but yeah, preaching to the choir and all of that, anyone who
    > wants a REAL test can spend time on-line with firefox on one box, and IE
    > on another box, and just visit whatever web sites you want to, click on
    > links that look fun, etc. and see who gets spyware/trojan'd first.

    hear hear

    Morgan, Sep 29, 2006
  6. shegeek72

    Rainman Guest

    Rainman, Sep 29, 2006
  7. shegeek72

    Guest

    On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 04:13:40 GMT, HiEv <>
    wrote:

    >Personally though, I prefer Opera:

    How dare you even mention that thing on here !!!!!!

    , Oct 8, 2006
  8. shegeek72

    Victor Guest

    If your computer has:
    1) A good firewall,
    2) Good anti-virus, and
    3) Good anti-spyware protection
    4) Disable downloading any Active X controls
    5) If AOL is installed, uninstall Viewpoint

    ....then as long as you keep your computer updated regularly you'll have zero security
    problems!

    For example, I set up my Uncle's Win98SE laptop, who is a complete novice, with both IE
    and Firefox. I downloaded only the ActiveX controls he needed (Macromedia, Windows
    update, Quicktime, etc), set up his firewall/antivirus/spyware, set all his preferences,
    and after over a year of him browsing the dark side of the web he's got no security
    problems.

    But if you've got no firewall, or anti-virus or anti-spyware, I don't care if you use
    FireFox with while wearing a chastity belt, you're gonna have security related problems.

    Victor, Oct 8, 2006
  9. shegeek72

    HiEv Guest

    wrote:
    > HiEv wrote:
    > > Personally though, I prefer Opera:

    > How dare you even mention that thing on here !!!!!!

    Nice imitation of a Microsoft fan hearing about Firefox. Can you do an
    imitation of a Mac user hearing about Windows next? ;-)

    But seriously, "here" includes alt.hacker, so I don't see the problem.

    Also, based on Secunia's data, Opera has no known security problems,
    which is something that IE, Firefox, Safari, and Konqueror cannot
    currently say. See:

    IE v6.x:
    http://secunia.com/product/11/
    19 open security advisories
    worst rating - Extremely critical (5 of 5)

    Firefox v1.x:
    http://secunia.com/product/4227/
    3 open security advisories
    worst rating - Less critical (2 of 5)

    Konqueror v3.x:
    http://secunia.com/product/3166/
    1 open security advisory
    worst rating - Less critical (2 of 5)

    Safari v2.x:
    http://secunia.com/product/5289/
    2 open security advisories
    worst rating - Not critical (1 of 5)

    Opera v9.x:
    http://secunia.com/product/10615/
    0 open security advisories
    no security advisories to rate (0 of 5)

    I'm not going to say Opera's perfect, because it ain't, but it certainly
    isn't bad.

    HiEv, Oct 9, 2006