Article from a few years ago

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by none, Dec 27, 2007.

  1. none

    none Guest

    I've been searching everywhere and I can't find it!

    It was and article a few years ago, I think within the last 10 years,
    from someone describing how he had been given a contract to test the
    security of an organisation. The people who gave him the contract
    thought he was going to try to hack in but instead he used social
    engineering to get inside the building and visited a number of
    computers, gaining id cards and passwords as he went. The usual thing,
    except he was describing his whole process, who he talked to, what he
    got out of them etc. I believe he actually got access to the computers
    of the head of security and the IT section. One person actually
    questioned him and he got past that person by owning up, saying he was
    testing security and this staff had passed, whereupon the staff gave him
    an extra useful step (I can't remember what, maybe access to the server
    room or the managers office or something). I belive he left notes
    behind? and took photos. The organisation wasn't named, I think mainly
    out of shame, and the tester was not popular with management because he
    used tactics they weren't expecting and he showed up all their flaws.

    Anyone else know this article?

    Thanks

    jules
    none, Dec 27, 2007

  2. none

    chris Guest

    "none" <""jules\"@(none)"> wrote

    << snipped >>

    I didn't read that article I think, because it was not in my native
    language.
    But your story does remind me of a book : The art of deception from Kevin
    Mitnick ( 2002 ).
    chris, Dec 28, 2007

  3. none

    none Guest

    I did wonder if it was Kevin but it was an article, not a book, and I
    couldn't find it on his company website. It could just as easily have
    been someone else so I thought I'd throw out a line here.

    ta anyway

    none, Dec 28, 2007
  4. none

    Some Guy Guest

    none wrote:

    > I've been searching everywhere and I can't find it!

    See alt.urban.legends
    Some Guy, Dec 29, 2007
  5. none

    none Guest

    That's interesting. Why would it be an urban legend? Social engineering
    is used by those wanting to get into buildings all the time. I've seen
    how slack security is in several of my workplaces, I could see people
    getting away with it very easy.

    none, Dec 29, 2007
  6. none

    none Guest

    And the article isn't urban legend. I read it.

    none, Dec 29, 2007
  7. none

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 07:38:31 +1100, none <""jules\"@(none)"> wrote:

    >And the article isn't urban legend. I read it.

    Probably not here.

    Social engineering works though.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Dec 30, 2007
  8. none

    none Guest

    Ah. No, I didn't read it here. This is the first time I've been on this
    newsgroup. I was just hoping someone into security would know about the
    article but it doesn't look like it. Oh well.

    none, Dec 30, 2007
  9. none

    Robert Guest

    On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 06:46:27 +1100, none wrote:

    > Ah. No, I didn't read it here. This is the first time I've been on this
    > newsgroup. I was just hoping someone into security would know about the
    > article but it doesn't look like it. Oh well.
    >
    > Jim Watt wrote:
    >> On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 07:38:31 +1100, none <""jules\"@(none)"> wrote:
    >>
    >>> And the article isn't urban legend. I read it.

    >> Probably not here.
    >>
    >> Social engineering works though.
    >> --
    >> Jim Watt
    >> http://www.gibnet.com

    Well if you ever find the article then please post here.
    I would be very interested in reading it myself.

    --

    Regards
    Robert

    Smile... it increases your face value!
    Linux User #296285
    http://counter.li.org
    Robert, Dec 30, 2007
  10. none

    none Guest

    Yeah ok, but I'm having such trouble that I'm doubting I will find it.

    none, Dec 30, 2007
  11. none

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 08:59:50 +1100, none <""jules\"@(none)"> wrote:

    >Yeah ok, but I'm having such trouble that I'm doubting I will find it.

    I did a search of the last seven years a.c.s. messages
    in my database for 'Social Engineering'

    The only entry of any interest was a book review by Bob
    Slade of the Kevin Mitnic book:

    The Art of Deception: Controlling the Human Element of Security
    (Hardcover)

    Amazon have one copy left.
    --
    Jim Watt