article discusing PSUs....

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by thingy, Aug 22, 2007.

  1. thingy

    thingy Guest

    thingy, Aug 22, 2007

  2. thingy

    ~misfit~ Guest

    ~misfit~, Aug 22, 2007

  3. thingy

    thingy Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > thingy wrote:
    >> http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/08/09/pc_power_supplies/index.html
    >>
    >> Lots of useful info IMHO....
    >>
    >> regards
    >>
    >> Thing

    > Thanks, looks good, I'll read it now.

    Interesting in light of discussions I had / have had with vendors of
    hardware and in particular graphics cards over the last few years....ie
    if it is not the biggest PSU listed for sale and in particular sold by
    them it is not big enough.

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Aug 22, 2007
  4. thingy

    ~misfit~ Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    > > thingy wrote:
    > > > http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/08/09/pc_power_supplies/index.html
    > > >
    > > > Lots of useful info IMHO....

    > > Thanks, looks good, I'll read it now.

    > Interesting in light of discussions I had / have had with vendors of
    > hardware and in particular graphics cards over the last few
    > years....ie if it is not the biggest PSU listed for sale and in
    > particular sold by them it is not big enough.
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    Yeah, it's easy to get sucked into the on-selling conveyor. Having hard
    facts makes it easier to save money and still have peace of mind.

    Cheers,
    --
    TTFN.

    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Aug 22, 2007
  5. In article <>, y says...
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    > > thingy wrote:
    > >> http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/08/09/pc_power_supplies/index.html
    > >>
    > >> Lots of useful info IMHO....
    > >>
    > >> regards
    > >>
    > >> Thing

    > > Thanks, looks good, I'll read it now.

    > Interesting in light of discussions I had / have had with vendors of
    > hardware and in particular graphics cards over the last few years....ie
    > if it is not the biggest PSU listed for sale and in particular sold by
    > them it is not big enough.
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    It's ridiculous what I sometimes see touted about. I recently used an online
    calculator for a core2duo cpu, 2 harddrives, 2 optical drives, ge8800gts video
    card and 2 pci cards and came in at just over 300Watt. So my 425 Enermax is
    good for a few years yet ;-) All this nonsense about 600W power supplies ....

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Aug 22, 2007
  6. thingy

    thingy Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:
    > In article <>, y says...
    >> ~misfit~ wrote:

    >>> Thanks, looks good, I'll read it now.

    >> Interesting in light of discussions I had / have had with vendors of
    >> hardware and in particular graphics cards over the last few years....ie
    >> if it is not the biggest PSU listed for sale and in particular sold by
    >> them it is not big enough.
    >>
    >> regards
    >>
    >> Thing
    >>

    > It's ridiculous what I sometimes see touted about. I recently used an online
    > calculator for a core2duo cpu, 2 harddrives, 2 optical drives, ge8800gts video
    > card and 2 pci cards and came in at just over 300Watt. So my 425 Enermax is
    > good for a few years yet ;-) All this nonsense about 600W power supplies ....
    >
    > -P.

    yep....I have an enermax whisper 650watt dual SLI and the vendor had the
    audacity to say I needed a 750watt unit....I specifically went for over
    kill at the time knowing I'd almost certainly only have one graphics
    card but be running a scsi raid setup....

    For my second machine I dont know what to do, 600~650 seems heaps but
    for a bit more $ a 750 or 800 would shut any vendor up........well
    maybe....The gigabyte PSUs look very neat....talking to them via USB is
    a way cool idea.....not available here yet, but i think that is going to
    be my next unit around Xmas time or something....

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Aug 22, 2007