Arrr! Doctor, I can't feel me leg!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Nervous Nick, Apr 12, 2009.

  1. Nervous Nick

    Nervous Nick Guest

    At 2:30PM or so Friday, after Dawnf had spent three hours having
    surgery on her spine, and three hours in the recovery room, I was
    finally allowed to see her in her room. So I went up to the room and
    encountered nurse at Dawnf's bedside, setting up IVs and stuff.

    And Dawnf, lying there all doped up, now sporting a nice new eye patch
    on the left side of her face.

    I smiled down at Her Grogginess, gave her hand a squeeze, and looked
    over to the nurse.

    Can you guess the first words that came out of my mouth?

    Yep, "WHAT THE **** DID THEY DO TO HER EYE?!"

    I think I scared the hell outta the nurse, because her incomplete,
    second-hand explanation was pretty much stammered out.

    Apparently, though, it wasn't as bad as it seemed. The surgery itself
    went off unremarkably. Some nerve was pretty much "scarred-in" and
    thus pinched by tissue from the previous surgery, and this tissue was
    removed. Her prognosis is good; this pinched nerve was giving her big
    time grief.

    But the eye thing had something to do with her eyes getting unduly dry
    while she was anesthetized.

    Thank gawd she was able to take the patch off after a couple of hours,
    and after a couple more was able to open the eye. Though the eyeball
    still hurts her like hell, Dawnf's vision is unaffected. The
    ophthalmologist whom I never saw thinks she might have a scratched
    cornea.

    I am definitely going to have a Talk with some of these people in the
    very near future, because nobody let me in on this apparently "minor"
    complication, even though I spoke with the surgeon immediately after
    the procedure.

    When someone comes out of back surgery, the last thing anyone--least
    of all the patient--expects to see is that person wearing an eye
    patch. Arrrrrr!

    But anyway, mazel tov!

    --
    YOP...