Arris Touchstone Modem and Linksys WRT54G - No Internet Over Network

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by kb1jec@gmail.com, Dec 15, 2007.

  1. Guest

    I posted about a month ago about a problem with a router and modem,
    and now I'm back with the same problem. In my last post I got no
    answer to my problem but somehow after playing with the modem and
    router, they linked up again.

    So here we go again.. out of the blue the internet stopped working on
    all networked PCs. I reset the router, the modem, and no luck. I
    boot up the modem first, then the router.. nothing. Try router first,
    then modem - same. Try both at once - same. Shut both down for 15
    min and then try rebooting - same.

    When I unplug the cable from the router and plug into the PC, I get a
    'Limited or No Connectivity' error. I check the connection settings
    and find an 'Automatic Private IP' starting with 169. I then reset
    the modem, and it connects to the PC and the internet works. I can
    reset the modem over and over while plugged into the router, but it
    never works.

    I read about the MAC address cloning and used ipconfig /all to get the
    physical address of my ethernet port on the PC, and turned cloning on
    in the router settings. That still didn't do anything.

    Any ideas? I have a Linksys WRT54G router and an Aris Touchstone
    Telephony modem (does internet, digital telephone). I remove the
    backup battery form the modem when I reset it. My ISP is Comcast.

    Thanks,
    Doug
    , Dec 15, 2007

  2. Lem Guest

    Re: Arris Touchstone Modem and Linksys WRT54G - No Internet OverNetwork

    wrote:
    > I posted about a month ago about a problem with a router and modem,
    > and now I'm back with the same problem. In my last post I got no
    > answer to my problem but somehow after playing with the modem and
    > router, they linked up again.
    >
    > So here we go again.. out of the blue the internet stopped working on
    > all networked PCs. I reset the router, the modem, and no luck. I
    > boot up the modem first, then the router.. nothing. Try router first,
    > then modem - same. Try both at once - same. Shut both down for 15
    > min and then try rebooting - same.
    >
    > When I unplug the cable from the router and plug into the PC, I get a
    > 'Limited or No Connectivity' error. I check the connection settings
    > and find an 'Automatic Private IP' starting with 169. I then reset
    > the modem, and it connects to the PC and the internet works. I can
    > reset the modem over and over while plugged into the router, but it
    > never works.
    >
    > I read about the MAC address cloning and used ipconfig /all to get the
    > physical address of my ethernet port on the PC, and turned cloning on
    > in the router settings. That still didn't do anything.
    >
    > Any ideas? I have a Linksys WRT54G router and an Aris Touchstone
    > Telephony modem (does internet, digital telephone). I remove the
    > backup battery form the modem when I reset it. My ISP is Comcast.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Doug

    It sounds as if your router is/may be failing. Have you had any
    peculiarities in your home power? Any electrical storms?

    Try asking about possible router failure at one of the forums at
    http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

    Lem, Dec 16, 2007

  3. Hi
    Internet Not working is the Kitchen sink type of trouble. it does not lead
    to a solid answer of ant kind.
    You have to find out what exactly is Not working.
    1, When this occurs can you log to the Router's menus?
    2. If you can look at the Router's WAN menu and see what is the status of
    the connection to the Modem.
    3. Connect one computer to the Modem (make sure that the computer is
    configured to obtain Auto IP).
    Switch Off the Computer, switch Off the Modem. Wait 3 min. switch On the
    modem and wait to the light to come On indicating that the Modem is
    Connected. When the light comes On switch on the computer.
    If it is Not working call your ISP.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Dec 16, 2007
  4. Guest

    Re: Arris Touchstone Modem and Linksys WRT54G - No Internet OverNetwork

    I went into the router configuration and reset everything to default.
    The router seemed to disconnect all computers, then when they linked
    up again, everything worked (networking and internet access). No idea
    what got messed up in the first place. It just stopped working the
    other night.

    Thanks for the help,
    Doug
    , Dec 16, 2007