ARRGGHHHHHH Hard Drives

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Rider, Nov 28, 2003.

  1. Rider

    Rider Guest

    I'm trying to install a new 40GB Barracuda drive in a Win98 computer.

    I've set the hdd to limit it to 32GB because of FAT32 ... fine.

    BIOS see's it as a 32Gb drive .... fine.

    Boot from Win98 SE CD anf run FDISK, tell it to be able to use large drives
    ...... fine.

    It then goes and makes an 8GB partition ..... NOT FINE

    Obvioulsy its been awhile since I've done this otherwise I would remember,
    but I'm pretty sure I've what 'should' be required to get this HDD fdisked
    and formatted at 32GB under FAT32

    This is on a MSI K7NDelta mobo and Athlon XP2500 processor, all parts are
    new.

    Any help is really appreciated.

    Rider
    Rider, Nov 28, 2003

  2. Rider

    T.N.O. Guest

    Rider wrote:
    > I'm trying to install a new 40GB Barracuda drive in a Win98 computer.
    > I've set the hdd to limit it to 32GB because of FAT32 ... fine.

    There is a 32GB limit for Fat32? really?

    > BIOS see's it as a 32Gb drive .... fine.
    > Boot from Win98 SE CD anf run FDISK, tell it to be able to use large drives
    > ..... fine.
    > It then goes and makes an 8GB partition ..... NOT FINE
    > Obvioulsy its been awhile since I've done this otherwise I would remember,
    > but I'm pretty sure I've what 'should' be required to get this HDD fdisked
    > and formatted at 32GB under FAT32
    > This is on a MSI K7NDelta mobo and Athlon XP2500 processor, all parts are
    > new.
    > Any help is really appreciated.

    With no limit imposed, what does fdisk say?
    T.N.O., Nov 28, 2003

  3. Rider

    Rider Guest

    "T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    > Rider wrote:
    > > I'm trying to install a new 40GB Barracuda drive in a Win98 computer.
    > > I've set the hdd to limit it to 32GB because of FAT32 ... fine.

    > There is a 32GB limit for Fat32? really?
    >
    > > BIOS see's it as a 32Gb drive .... fine.
    > > Boot from Win98 SE CD anf run FDISK, tell it to be able to use large

    drives
    > > ..... fine.
    > > It then goes and makes an 8GB partition ..... NOT FINE
    > > Obvioulsy its been awhile since I've done this otherwise I would

    remember,
    > > but I'm pretty sure I've what 'should' be required to get this HDD

    fdisked
    > > and formatted at 32GB under FAT32
    > > This is on a MSI K7NDelta mobo and Athlon XP2500 processor, all parts

    are
    > > new.
    > > Any help is really appreciated.

    > With no limit imposed, what does fdisk say?

    8GB partition as well.
    Rider, Nov 28, 2003
  4. On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 13:34:32 +1300, "Rider"
    <> wrote:

    >I'm trying to install a new 40GB Barracuda drive in a Win98 computer.
    >
    >I've set the hdd to limit it to 32GB because of FAT32 ... fine.

    No you DON't..

    I have 80gig drives on my PC with Fat32.

    >BIOS see's it as a 32Gb drive .... fine.
    >
    >Boot from Win98 SE CD anf run FDISK, tell it to be able to use large drives
    >..... fine.

    Dnload the Seagate Formating tool, far far better than Fdisk/Format.

    http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/drivers/discwiz.html

    Gregory Parker, Nov 28, 2003
  5. Rider

    T.N.O. Guest

    Rider wrote:
    > 8GB partition as well.

    Which copy of fdisk are you using?
    Ie, where'd you get it from?
    T.N.O., Nov 28, 2003
  6. Rider

    T.N.O. Guest

    T.N.O., Nov 28, 2003
  7. Rider

    Rider Guest

    "T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    > Rider wrote:
    > > 8GB partition as well.

    > Which copy of fdisk are you using?
    > Ie, where'd you get it from?

    The one from the Win98SE install CD
    Rider, Nov 28, 2003
  8. Rider

    Rider Guest

    "Gregory Parker" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 13:34:32 +1300, "Rider"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >I'm trying to install a new 40GB Barracuda drive in a Win98 computer.
    > >
    > >I've set the hdd to limit it to 32GB because of FAT32 ... fine.

    > No you DON't..
    >

    > I have 80gig drives on my PC with Fat32.

    It isnt one partition though is it. I want one partition.
    Rider, Nov 28, 2003
  9. Rider

    T.N.O. Guest

    Rider wrote:
    >>I have 80gig drives on my PC with Fat32.

    > It isnt one partition though is it. I want one partition.

    I have a 40GB(single) partition, and in my bro in laws pc he has an
    80GB(single) partition
    T.N.O., Nov 28, 2003
  10. Rider

    SNOman Guest

    Rider wrote:
    > I'm trying to install a new 40GB Barracuda drive in a Win98 computer.
    >
    > I've set the hdd to limit it to 32GB because of FAT32 ... fine.
    >
    > BIOS see's it as a 32Gb drive .... fine.
    >
    > Boot from Win98 SE CD anf run FDISK, tell it to be able to use large drives
    > ..... fine.
    >
    > It then goes and makes an 8GB partition ..... NOT FINE
    >
    > Obvioulsy its been awhile since I've done this otherwise I would remember,
    > but I'm pretty sure I've what 'should' be required to get this HDD fdisked
    > and formatted at 32GB under FAT32
    >
    > This is on a MSI K7NDelta mobo and Athlon XP2500 processor, all parts are
    > new.
    >
    > Any help is really appreciated.
    >

    > Rider

    FAT32 has a 4Gig file size limit and a 2TB partition size limit
    SNOman, Nov 28, 2003
  11. Rider

    SNOman Guest

    SNOman wrote:

    > Rider wrote:
    >
    >> I'm trying to install a new 40GB Barracuda drive in a Win98 computer.
    >>
    >> I've set the hdd to limit it to 32GB because of FAT32 ... fine.
    >>
    >> BIOS see's it as a 32Gb drive .... fine.
    >>
    >> Boot from Win98 SE CD anf run FDISK, tell it to be able to use large
    >> drives
    >> ..... fine.
    >>
    >> It then goes and makes an 8GB partition ..... NOT FINE
    >>
    >> Obvioulsy its been awhile since I've done this otherwise I would
    >> remember,
    >> but I'm pretty sure I've what 'should' be required to get this HDD
    >> fdisked
    >> and formatted at 32GB under FAT32
    >>
    >> This is on a MSI K7NDelta mobo and Athlon XP2500 processor, all parts are
    >> new.
    >>
    >> Any help is really appreciated.
    >>

    >> Rider
    >>

    > FAT32 has a 4Gig file size limit and a 2TB partition size limit

    I should have added that your problem is that windows 2000 and windows
    XP limit the partion creation size to 32Gb under FAT32 so it's a
    Microsoft thing.
    SNOman, Nov 28, 2003
  12. On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 13:48:01 +1300, "Rider"
    <> wrote:

    >"T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    >> Rider wrote:
    >> > I'm trying to install a new 40GB Barracuda drive in a Win98 computer.
    >> > I've set the hdd to limit it to 32GB because of FAT32 ... fine.

    >> There is a 32GB limit for Fat32? really?
    >>
    >> > BIOS see's it as a 32Gb drive .... fine.
    >> > Boot from Win98 SE CD anf run FDISK, tell it to be able to use large

    >drives
    >> > ..... fine.
    >> > It then goes and makes an 8GB partition ..... NOT FINE
    >> > Obvioulsy its been awhile since I've done this otherwise I would

    >remember,
    >> > but I'm pretty sure I've what 'should' be required to get this HDD

    >fdisked
    >> > and formatted at 32GB under FAT32
    >> > This is on a MSI K7NDelta mobo and Athlon XP2500 processor, all parts

    >are
    >> > new.
    >> > Any help is really appreciated.

    >> With no limit imposed, what does fdisk say?
    >>

    >8GB partition as well.

    That is a Load of Bollocks, I have 4 x 13.9g partions on a 60g , and 2 x
    12.4 on a 40g Seagate HD using the Seagate DiskWizard tool to format and
    partitions..

    With Both XP & 98SE..

    Seagate Diskwizard

    http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/drivers/discwiz.html
    Gregory Parker, Nov 28, 2003
  13. Rider

    Rider Guest

    "T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    > Rider wrote:
    > >>I have 80gig drives on my PC with Fat32.

    > > It isnt one partition though is it. I want one partition.

    > I have a 40GB(single) partition, and in my bro in laws pc he has an
    > 80GB(single) partition

    Fine, I'm going home then :p lol
    Rider, Nov 28, 2003
  14. Rider

    > On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 13:48:01 +1300, "Rider"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > >"T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> There is a 32GB limit for Fat32? really?

    > >drives

    > >remember,

    > >fdisked

    > >are
    > >>
    > >> With no limit imposed, what does fdisk say?
    > >>

    > >8GB partition as well.
    > >

    > That is a Load of Bollocks,

    So you can see what FDISK is telling me on the computer I have here??
    Rider, Nov 28, 2003
  15. Rider

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <bq656s$bov$>,
    says...
    > I'm trying to install a new 40GB Barracuda drive in a Win98 computer.
    >
    > I've set the hdd to limit it to 32GB because of FAT32 ... fine.
    >
    > BIOS see's it as a 32Gb drive .... fine.
    >
    > Boot from Win98 SE CD anf run FDISK, tell it to be able to use large drives
    > ..... fine.
    >
    > It then goes and makes an 8GB partition ..... NOT FINE
    >
    > Obvioulsy its been awhile since I've done this otherwise I would remember,
    > but I'm pretty sure I've what 'should' be required to get this HDD fdisked
    > and formatted at 32GB under FAT32
    >
    > This is on a MSI K7NDelta mobo and Athlon XP2500 processor, all parts are
    > new.

    Why are you installing a cruddy old obsolete operating system like
    Windows 98 on a new computer?
    Mainlander, Nov 28, 2003
  16. Rider

    Rider Guest

    "Mainlander" <*@*.*> wrote in message
    > In article <bq656s$bov$>,
    > says...
    > > I'm trying to install a new 40GB Barracuda drive in a Win98 computer.
    > >
    > > I've set the hdd to limit it to 32GB because of FAT32 ... fine.
    > >
    > > BIOS see's it as a 32Gb drive .... fine.
    > >
    > > Boot from Win98 SE CD anf run FDISK, tell it to be able to use large

    drives
    > > ..... fine.
    > >
    > > It then goes and makes an 8GB partition ..... NOT FINE
    > >
    > > Obvioulsy its been awhile since I've done this otherwise I would

    remember,
    > > but I'm pretty sure I've what 'should' be required to get this HDD

    fdisked
    > > and formatted at 32GB under FAT32
    > >
    > > This is on a MSI K7NDelta mobo and Athlon XP2500 processor, all parts

    are
    > > new.

    > Why are you installing a cruddy old obsolete operating system like
    > Windows 98 on a new computer?

    Because some customers dont know what good advice is :(

    Customer pays the bill, so regardless of advice to the contrary, they want
    98, they get 98.
    Rider, Nov 28, 2003
  17. Rider

    Warwick Guest

    <> wrote:

    >I'm trying to install a new 40GB Barracuda drive in a Win98 computer.
    >
    >I've set the hdd to limit it to 32GB because of FAT32 ... fine.
    >
    >BIOS see's it as a 32Gb drive .... fine.
    >
    >Boot from Win98 SE CD anf run FDISK, tell it to be able to use large drives
    >..... fine.
    >
    >It then goes and makes an 8GB partition ..... NOT FINE
    >
    >Obvioulsy its been awhile since I've done this otherwise I would remember,
    >but I'm pretty sure I've what 'should' be required to get this HDD fdisked
    >and formatted at 32GB under FAT32
    >
    >This is on a MSI K7NDelta mobo and Athlon XP2500 processor, all parts are
    >new.
    >
    >Any help is really appreciated.
    >

    >Rider

    Don't you just have to enable LBA?
    I thought that was all that was reqd to overcome the 8gb bios
    limitation.
    pls dont hassle me if im wrong lol, my memory on this is as hazy as
    yours.
    Warwick, Nov 28, 2003
  18. Rider

    Rider Guest

    "Warwick" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 13:34:32 +1300, "Rider"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >I'm trying to install a new 40GB Barracuda drive in a Win98 computer.
    > >
    > >I've set the hdd to limit it to 32GB because of FAT32 ... fine.
    > >
    > >BIOS see's it as a 32Gb drive .... fine.
    > >
    > >Boot from Win98 SE CD anf run FDISK, tell it to be able to use large

    drives
    > >..... fine.
    > >
    > >It then goes and makes an 8GB partition ..... NOT FINE
    > >
    > >Obvioulsy its been awhile since I've done this otherwise I would

    remember,
    > >but I'm pretty sure I've what 'should' be required to get this HDD

    fdisked
    > >and formatted at 32GB under FAT32
    > >
    > >This is on a MSI K7NDelta mobo and Athlon XP2500 processor, all parts are
    > >new.
    > >
    > >Any help is really appreciated.
    > >

    > >Rider
    > >

    > Don't you just have to enable LBA?
    > I thought that was all that was reqd to overcome the 8gb bios
    > limitation.
    > pls dont hassle me if im wrong lol, my memory on this is as hazy as
    > yours.

    LOL I'll give anything a try at this stage mate. Beer is looking rather
    enticing right now :)
    Rider, Nov 28, 2003
  19. Rider

    T.N.O. Guest

    Mainlander wrote:
    > Why are you installing a cruddy old obsolete operating system like
    > Windows 98 on a new computer?

    Maybe because it flies on new hardware?
    T.N.O., Nov 28, 2003
  20. Rider

    T.N.O. Guest

    Rider wrote:
    > LOL I'll give anything a try at this stage mate. Beer is looking rather
    > enticing right now :)

    OOH, BEER... IT IS FRIDAY AFTER ALL... and my caps button had been
    pressed... :)
    T.N.O., Nov 28, 2003