    I don't recall this behavior in earlier versions of Windows, not even XP
    32-bit. Am I wrong?

    Is there a switch somewhere that I need to turn on or off to correct this?
    DP, Apr 8, 2006

  2. Just set them to not be arranged at all. Check the "aligned to grid", but no
    other option. Now, they go where you put them.

    It's actually NOT a good idea to put folders on your desktop. I suggest
    links to folders in "My Documents" or wherever. If you have to do a system
    recovery, having stuff on your desktop makes it subject to loss. (See my
    Expert Zone column on System Restore recently.)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 8, 2006

  3. DP

    DP Guest

    Thanks for the tip about folders on the desktop. If I have a question about
    that after I read your column, I'll give you a yell.

    As for not arranging them, what I hear you saying is that Windows' option to
    arrange icons on your desktop is pretty much useless bloat. And/or, its
    functionality in x64 is broken.

    There are times, when I have a lot of icons on my desktop, that arranging
    them in a certain order works. Obviously, arranging them by date modified
    lets me find the most recently used item easily.
    And sometimes, if I can find a particular icon, I'll arrange them
    alphetically, which makes it easier to find it by name.

    DP, Apr 9, 2006
  4. Cut down the clutter on your desktop. You'll be happier, and you'll have an
    easier time finding things. ;)

    It _does_ rearrange them. Just not always as you might wish. Keep in mind
    that folders are treated a bit different than files when it comes to
    arranging.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 9, 2006
  5. DP

    DP Guest

    I couldn't find that column you mentioned. Is it on msmvps.com ?

    DP, Apr 9, 2006
  6. No, it's on the Expert Zone. Hang on...

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/expert/russel_sysrestore.mspx

    There.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 9, 2006
  7. DP

    DP Guest

    Thanks.

    DP, Apr 9, 2006
  8. DP

    John Barnes Guest

    I too have many items on my desktop and find it hard to locate a new item,
    especially if the picture makes some harder to see. I find it easiest to
    open the desktop folder to find them or search if necessary. Easy to sort
    there if needed. Just put a shortcut on your start menu to explore it and
    it is easy to work with.
    I personally like to group the icons myself and know where to find the usual
    ones, even when I change backgrounds and would not want to give up that
    utility.

    John Barnes, Apr 9, 2006