    20 year user of PC's but for the life of me I cannot
    figure out how to arrange the icons in the start menu
    according to type. Can someone help me?

    claw, Dec 6, 2004

  2. claw

    Guest

    On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 16:57:18 -0700, "claw" <>
    wrote:

    |> Win XP Pro
    |> This should be extremely simple for an experienced,
    |> 20 year user of PC's but for the life of me I cannot
    |> figure out how to arrange the icons in the start menu
    |> according to type. Can someone help me?

    Not what your looking for, but a variation can be done during the
    installation of a program.

    When the program ask what directory to use on the start menu, assign it
    to one of your choice.

    Say the program ask is "Photoshop" a proper start-menu directory?
    Edit it to "Graphics\Photoshop".

    In your start-menu Photoshop will now be found under Graphics.

    --
    http://www.local6.com/news/3974410/detail.html

    , Dec 7, 2004

  3. claw

    Guest

    On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 16:57:18 -0700, "claw" <>
    wrote:

    Resent this one.

    |> Win XP Pro
    |> This should be extremely simple for an experienced,
    |> 20 year user of PC's but for the life of me I cannot
    |> figure out how to arrange the icons in the start menu
    |> according to type. Can someone help me?

    Not what your looking for, but a variation can be done during the
    installation of a program.

    When the program ask what directory to use on the start menu, assign it
    to one of your choice.

    Say the program ask is "Photoshop" a proper start-menu directory?
    Edit it to "Graphics\Photoshop".

    In your start-menu Photoshop will now be found under Graphics.

    Also you can go to
    start> settings> task and start properties> start-Menu
    then customize> advanced

    From here you can also create folders (ie: graphics) and then drag and
    drop programs into this new directory.

    --
    http://www.local6.com/news/3974410/detail.html

    , Dec 7, 2004
  4. claw

    G. Morgan Guest

    On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 00:33:18 GMT ""
    used 32 lines of text to write in newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk

    >On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 16:57:18 -0700, "claw" <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >Resent this one.
    >
    >|> Win XP Pro
    >|> This should be extremely simple for an experienced,
    >|> 20 year user of PC's but for the life of me I cannot
    >|> figure out how to arrange the icons in the start menu
    >|> according to type. Can someone help me?
    >
    >Not what your looking for, but a variation can be done during the
    >installation of a program.

    <snip>

    Why do you resent him Penny? ;-)

    --
    -Graham

    Remove the 'snails' from my email

    G. Morgan, Dec 7, 2004
  5. claw

    Guest

    On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 18:45:48 -0600, G. Morgan
    <> wrote:

    |> On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 00:33:18 GMT ""
    |> used 32 lines of text to write in newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    |>
    |> >On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 16:57:18 -0700, "claw" <>
    |> >wrote:
    |> >
    |> >Resent this one.

    |> >Not what your looking for, but a variation can be done during the
    |> >installation of a program.
    |> <snip>
    |>
    |> Why do you resent him Penny? ;-)

    Found it could also be done from the menu customize area, which I added
    to the original post. As posted my suggestion could only be done on
    installation, the customize area allows changes at any time.

    --
    http://www.local6.com/news/3974410/detail.html

    , Dec 7, 2004
  6. claw

    G. Morgan Guest

    On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 00:51:18 GMT ""
    used 30 lines of text to write in newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk

    >On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 18:45:48 -0600, G. Morgan
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >|> On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 00:33:18 GMT ""
    >|> used 32 lines of text to write in newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk

    >|> <snip>
    >|>
    >|> Why do you resent him Penny? ;-)
    >
    >Found it could also be done from the menu customize area, which I added
    >to the original post. As posted my suggestion could only be done on
    >installation, the customize area allows changes at any time.

    Gotcha.

    Alternatively, it can be done by right clicking "start" selecting "open" then
    double clicking "programs"

    G. Morgan, Dec 7, 2004
  7. claw

    Chris Turner Guest

    Hold the left mouse button down and drag to where you want them.I done this
    and in alphabetical order

    Chris Turner, Dec 7, 2004
  8. claw

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    "claw" <> wrote in message
    > Win XP Pro
    > This should be extremely simple for an experienced,
    > 20 year user of PC's but for the life of me I cannot
    > figure out how to arrange the icons in the start menu
    > according to type. Can someone help me?

    if you have a large amount of icons that need to be alphabetized, you can do
    it through the registry
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrd
    er\Start Menu

    just delete the value name "order" and reboot the machine. it will be
    rebuilt alphabetically.

    this can also be done for your internet favourites and start\programs

    always export the registry (or registry values) before editing so you can
    undo your edits.

    -a|ex

    127.0.0.1, Dec 7, 2004
  9. claw

    stepanstas

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2007
    Messages:
    1

    Thanks alex
    I was just Googling for this.
    I did this once with program that cleans up your computer, but this is way easier.
    Thanks:driver:

    stepanstas, Mar 14, 2007