    Chuck
    -ô¿ô-
    ~

    URAQT2, Feb 22, 2004

  2. URAQT2 wrote:
    > How do I get Mozilla Thunderbird to arrange emails and posts in
    > newsgroups by the threads they are in?
    >
    > When I click on View/Sort by the word Thread is grayed out. Since I
    > follow only certain threads in the health related support newsgroups I
    > need to be able to sort them accordingly. As it is now I am forced to
    > scroll down through all new postings in each ng.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Try View>>Messages, and choose Threaded. That should enable the option
    in the other menus.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Feb 22, 2004

  3. URAQT2

    URAQT2 Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > URAQT2 wrote:
    >
    >> How do I get Mozilla Thunderbird to arrange emails and posts in
    >> newsgroups by the threads they are in?
    >>
    >> When I click on View/Sort by the word Thread is grayed out. Since I
    >> follow only certain threads in the health related support newsgroups I
    >> need to be able to sort them accordingly. As it is now I am forced to
    >> scroll down through all new postings in each ng.
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>

    > Try View>>Messages, and choose Threaded. That should enable the option
    > in the other menus.
    >
    > Lee

    It appears to work. However, when I am in alt.support.diabetes it only
    works so long as I have all messages on. As soon as I change to
    were posted.

    I will keep playing with it. I have only had Thunderbird up since
    yesterday. I am trying to get away from Netscape 4.79 since some
    websites won't even come up in it. Plus there are new features in
    Thunderbird that I really like.

    --
    Chuck
    -ô¿ô-

    URAQT2, Feb 22, 2004
  4. URAQT2 wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >
    >> URAQT2 wrote:
    >>
    >>> How do I get Mozilla Thunderbird to arrange emails and posts in
    >>> newsgroups by the threads they are in?
    >>>
    >>> When I click on View/Sort by the word Thread is grayed out. Since I
    >>> follow only certain threads in the health related support newsgroups
    >>> I need to be able to sort them accordingly. As it is now I am forced
    >>> to scroll down through all new postings in each ng.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.
    >>>

    >> Try View>>Messages, and choose Threaded. That should enable the
    >> option in the other menus.
    >>
    >> Lee

    > It appears to work. However, when I am in alt.support.diabetes it only
    > works so long as I have all messages on. As soon as I change to
    > were posted.
    >
    > I will keep playing with it. I have only had Thunderbird up since
    > yesterday. I am trying to get away from Netscape 4.79 since some
    > websites won't even come up in it. Plus there are new features in
    > Thunderbird that I really like.

    Don't use the view box next to the search box, above the message list
    pane. Instead, click View>>Threads, to change from unread to read, or
    other options.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Feb 22, 2004
  5. URAQT2

    URAQT2 Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:

    > URAQT2 wrote:

    >>> Try View>>Messages, and choose Threaded. That should enable the
    >>> option in the other menus.
    >>>
    >>> Lee

    >> It appears to work. However, when I am in alt.support.diabetes it only
    >> works so long as I have all messages on. As soon as I change to
    >> were posted.
    >>
    >> I will keep playing with it. I have only had Thunderbird up since
    >> yesterday. I am trying to get away from Netscape 4.79 since some
    >> websites won't even come up in it. Plus there are new features in
    >> Thunderbird that I really like.
    >>

    > Don't use the view box next to the search box, above the message list
    > pane. Instead, click View>>Threads, to change from unread to read, or
    > other options.
    >
    > Lee

    Okay.
    Thanks again.
    --
    Chuck
    -ô¿ô-

    URAQT2, Feb 23, 2004
  6. URAQT2

    Max O. Guest

    URAQT2 wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >
    >> URAQT2 wrote:

    >>> It appears to work. However, when I am in alt.support.diabetes it
    >>> only works so long as I have all messages on. As soon as I change to
    >>> they were posted.
    >>>
    >>> I will keep playing with it. I have only had Thunderbird up since
    >>> yesterday. I am trying to get away from Netscape 4.79 since some
    >>> websites won't even come up in it. Plus there are new features in
    >>> Thunderbird that I really like.
    >>>

    >> Don't use the view box next to the search box, above the message list
    >> pane. Instead, click View>>Threads, to change from unread to read, or
    >> other options.
    >>
    >> Lee

    > Okay.
    > Thanks again.

    Keyboard shortcuts are useful when working with threads, "n" takes you
    to the first and next unread message, "t" takes you to the first unread
    message in the next thread. "w" watches the thread, "k" ignores the thread.

    This way you never have to "unthread" and can quickly find new messages
    buried in threads.

    Took me a couple of days to get used to as well.

    Max O., Feb 23, 2004
  7. URAQT2

    URAQT2 Guest

    Max O. wrote:
    > URAQT2 wrote:

    >>> Don't use the view box next to the search box, above the message list
    >>> pane. Instead, click View>>Threads, to change from unread to read,
    >>> or other options.
    >>>
    >>> Lee

    >> Okay.
    >> Thanks again.

    > Keyboard shortcuts are useful when working with threads, "n" takes you
    > to the first and next unread message, "t" takes you to the first unread
    > message in the next thread. "w" watches the thread, "k" ignores the thread.
    >
    > This way you never have to "unthread" and can quickly find new messages
    > buried in threads.
    >
    > Took me a couple of days to get used to as well.

    I just tried your suggestion of typing "t" to go to the next posting in
    a thread in alt.support.diabetes.
    Rather than going to the next posting in the thread, it marked every
    posting in it as being read already and moved down to the next posting
    not in the thread based on when it was posted.

    I have done what Lee suggested, including doing it all from the View
    menu at the top. I can't get it to work in alt.support.diabetes, which
    is the one that I read the most often.

    Rant of frustration follows:

    Why the heck don't they start standardizing the way they configure
    programs so when we upgrade we don't have learn how to jump through the
    hoops all over again?

    --
    Chuck
    -ô¿ô-

    URAQT2, Feb 23, 2004
  8. On 2/23/2004 5:34 AM Pacific, URAQT2 wrote:
    > Max O. wrote:
    >
    >>URAQT2 wrote:

    >>>Okay.
    >>>Thanks again.

    >>Keyboard shortcuts are useful when working with threads, "n" takes you
    >>to the first and next unread message, "t" takes you to the first unread
    >>message in the next thread. "w" watches the thread, "k" ignores the thread.
    >>
    >>This way you never have to "unthread" and can quickly find new messages
    >>buried in threads.
    >>
    >>Took me a couple of days to get used to as well.

    > I just tried your suggestion of typing "t" to go to the next posting in
    > a thread in alt.support.diabetes.
    > Rather than going to the next posting in the thread, it marked every
    > posting in it as being read already and moved down to the next posting
    > not in the thread based on when it was posted.
    >
    > I have done what Lee suggested, including doing it all from the View
    > menu at the top. I can't get it to work in alt.support.diabetes, which
    > is the one that I read the most often.
    >
    > Rant of frustration follows:
    >
    > Why the heck don't they start standardizing the way they configure
    > programs so when we upgrade we don't have learn how to jump through the
    > hoops all over again?

    The settings from the View menu on the menu bar must be made
    individually for each newsgroup you read (i.e., they are NOT global).
    This allows one to have different settings for each newsgroup.

    --
    Irwin

    Irwin Greenwald, Feb 23, 2004
  9. URAQT2

    URAQT2 Guest

    Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    > On 2/23/2004 5:34 AM Pacific, URAQT2 wrote:
    >
    >>Max O. wrote:

    >>>Keyboard shortcuts are useful when working with threads, "n" takes you
    >>>to the first and next unread message, "t" takes you to the first unread
    >>>message in the next thread. "w" watches the thread, "k" ignores the thread.
    >>>
    >>>This way you never have to "unthread" and can quickly find new messages
    >>>buried in threads.
    >>>
    >>>Took me a couple of days to get used to as well.

    >>I just tried your suggestion of typing "t" to go to the next posting in
    >>a thread in alt.support.diabetes.
    >>Rather than going to the next posting in the thread, it marked every
    >>posting in it as being read already and moved down to the next posting
    >>not in the thread based on when it was posted.
    >>
    >>I have done what Lee suggested, including doing it all from the View
    >>menu at the top. I can't get it to work in alt.support.diabetes, which
    >>is the one that I read the most often.
    >>
    >>Rant of frustration follows:
    >>
    >>Why the heck don't they start standardizing the way they configure
    >>programs so when we upgrade we don't have learn how to jump through the
    >>hoops all over again?
    >>

    > The settings from the View menu on the menu bar must be made
    > individually for each newsgroup you read (i.e., they are NOT global).
    > This allows one to have different settings for each newsgroup.

    I am very much aware of that. I did it too. Had to do the same thing
    when viewing newsgroups in Netscape 4.79.

    Point being, it doesn't work in a.s.d.

    --
    Chuck
    -ô¿ô-

    URAQT2, Feb 23, 2004
  10. URAQT2

    Max O. Guest

    URAQT2 wrote:
    > Max O. wrote:
    >
    >> URAQT2 wrote:

    >>> Okay.
    >>> Thanks again.

    >> Keyboard shortcuts are useful when working with threads, "n" takes you
    >> to the first and next unread message, "t" takes you to the first
    >> unread message in the next thread. "w" watches the thread, "k" ignores
    >> the thread.
    >>
    >> This way you never have to "unthread" and can quickly find new
    >> messages buried in threads.
    >>
    >> Took me a couple of days to get used to as well.

    > I just tried your suggestion of typing "t" to go to the next posting in
    > a thread in alt.support.diabetes.
    > Rather than going to the next posting in the thread, it marked every
    > posting in it as being read already and moved down to the next posting
    > not in the thread based on when it was posted.

    Yes, that's exactly what it's supposed to do ;)

    > I have done what Lee suggested, including doing it all from the View
    > menu at the top. I can't get it to work in alt.support.diabetes, which
    > is the one that I read the most often.
    >
    > Rant of frustration follows:
    >
    > Why the heck don't they start standardizing the way they configure
    > programs so when we upgrade we don't have learn how to jump through the
    > hoops all over again?

    First we have to find out who "they" is, then we can tell them ;)

    Max O., Feb 24, 2004