ARGH!!!!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by mike4ty4@yahoo.com, Nov 8, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hi.

    (Cotinuation of the ordeal discussed in "Computer toasted?" thread I
    had here)

    This is just insane. I replaced the motherboard AND the CPU!!! It still
    won't boot for crying out loud! No fans, no lights, no nothing. So I
    thought that maybe the power supply was bad, since I couldn't get any
    juice on any of the lines that were supposed to "rise" when it was
    plugged into the board and the fan, drives, etc. didn't start. I tried
    a known-to-be-good power supply in there, and still, NO BOOT, no fans,
    NOTHING. I tried the "suspect" power supply in a known-to-be-good
    system, and it worked OK. So I really don't think the power supply is
    the problem at all. I also doubt that this motherboard is bad, we just
    got it, nor the CPU, just got that (*today* no less!!! ARGH!!!) and I'm
    even trying it without the hard drives connected! Nothing! What the
    FRIGG is wrong with this thing?!?!?!?!?! Sorry if the language/tone I'm
    using sounds a little harsh, but you have no idea just how FRUSTRATING
    this is!!!! I'm tempted to just throw it out and get a whole new system
    totally from scratch!!! But I spent money on a motherboard and chip!!!
    Can you please help?

    Other tests:
    I tried jumpering the "turnon" wires on the power supply while it had
    the drives and case fan connected, and it was able to power them OK.
    But when plugged into the motherboard, I can't get it to start --
    NOTHING starts at all...

    Switch tested w/multimeter. It's OK.

    Hypothesis/es:
    Based on all the above I think the problem might be something in the
    case shorting the board. Is this possible? But _what_ would it be?

    , Nov 8, 2006

  2. Shel-hed Guest

    On 8 Nov 2006 15:27:19 -0800, wrote:

    >Hi.
    >
    >(Cotinuation of the ordeal discussed in "Computer toasted?" thread I
    >had here)

    Have you ruled out all other devices screwing things up, like pharked HDs and
    USB devices?

    Shel-hed, Nov 9, 2006

  3. Old Gringo Guest

    Without Any Hesitation, Wrote The Following:
    > Hi.
    >
    > (Cotinuation of the ordeal discussed in "Computer toasted?" thread I
    > had here)
    >
    > This is just insane. I replaced the motherboard AND the CPU!!! It still
    > won't boot for crying out loud! No fans, no lights, no nothing. So I
    > thought that maybe the power supply was bad, since I couldn't get any
    > juice on any of the lines that were supposed to "rise" when it was
    > plugged into the board and the fan, drives, etc. didn't start. I tried
    > a known-to-be-good power supply in there, and still, NO BOOT, no fans,
    > NOTHING. I tried the "suspect" power supply in a known-to-be-good
    > system, and it worked OK. So I really don't think the power supply is
    > the problem at all. I also doubt that this motherboard is bad, we just
    > got it, nor the CPU, just got that (*today* no less!!! ARGH!!!) and I'm
    > even trying it without the hard drives connected! Nothing! What the
    > FRIGG is wrong with this thing?!?!?!?!?! Sorry if the language/tone I'm
    > using sounds a little harsh, but you have no idea just how FRUSTRATING
    > this is!!!! I'm tempted to just throw it out and get a whole new system
    > totally from scratch!!! But I spent money on a motherboard and chip!!!
    > Can you please help?
    >
    > Other tests:
    > I tried jumpering the "turnon" wires on the power supply while it had
    > the drives and case fan connected, and it was able to power them OK.
    > But when plugged into the motherboard, I can't get it to start --
    > NOTHING starts at all...
    >
    > Switch tested w/multimeter. It's OK.
    >
    > Hypothesis/es:
    > Based on all the above I think the problem might be something in the
    > case shorting the board. Is this possible? But _what_ would it be?

    You tested (the) switch, none on the back? Power at switch?
    If you have meters you must basically know what you are doing??
    Tested leads at motherboard for power??

    --
    Old Gringo
    Just West Of Nowhere

    Old Gringo, Nov 9, 2006
  4. Guest

    wrote:
    <snip>

    Never mind, I got it to boot. Turns out I had the wrong power cable
    connected :(

    , Nov 9, 2006
  5. Old Gringo Guest

    Without Any Hesitation, FOG Wrote The Following:
    > I would try another power supply. Although you have tried your old one on
    > another machine, you may be a victim of the "Computer weird shit" syndrome!
    > The only thing about the power supply is that we hope it is not a "Killer",
    > we hope it has not killed your old motherboard and now has done the same to
    > the new one.
    > Another thing I can suggest is that maybe the socket on the mother board is
    > defective, or the plug on the power supply has a pin that is pushed back in
    > the plug shell. Also turn the motherboard over and check the solder joints,
    > see if any look dry, try looking at them with an eye glass or manifying
    > glass.
    > Yet another thing you could try is to take the m/b out of the case and put
    > it on the bench, on a piece of board so as not to short it to a metal bench,
    > fit the video card nad nothing else and see if it will start as it may have
    > been shorting to the case.
    > Power supplies are relatively cheap and it will give you a chance for an
    > upgrade there too!
    > If all this doesn't work, go and buy yourself a new computer as you
    > suggested and then take all the old stuff out into the back yard, get
    > yourself a brick, lay the m/b on the brick and use a lump hammer to pulp it,
    > hit it twenty to thirty times untill it is just a fine paste and throw
    > remains in the bin, you will feel SO much better for it!!!
    > Good luck.
    >

    > "Old Gringo" <> wrote in message
    >> Without Any Hesitation, Wrote The Following:
    >> You tested (the) switch, none on the back? Power at switch?
    >> If you have meters you must basically know what you are doing??
    >> Tested leads at motherboard for power??
    >>
    >> --
    >> Old Gringo
    >> Just West Of Nowhere