Argh @ Trade Me

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Krazy Bob, Jan 28, 2006.

  1. Krazy Bob

    Krazy Bob Guest

    Recieved a email today advising me im 1 cent in debt with my acount on trade
    me and telling me i have to pay $10 to credit it back.
    i laughed because im not paying simply because they tell me to, i'll do it
    when i feel like it.

    So now, i log into trade me, nice warning banner tellin me im 1 cent OD, and
    go to ask a question and im not allowed because im 1 cent OD, and if i ask
    anyway i risk getting my account suspended.
    all this because of 1 cent....*lol*

    KB
    Krazy Bob, Jan 28, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Krazy Bob wrote:
    > Recieved a email today advising me im 1 cent in debt with my acount on trade
    > me and telling me i have to pay $10 to credit it back.
    > i laughed because im not paying simply because they tell me to, i'll do it
    > when i feel like it.
    >
    > So now, i log into trade me, nice warning banner tellin me im 1 cent OD, and
    > go to ask a question and im not allowed because im 1 cent OD, and if i ask
    > anyway i risk getting my account suspended.
    > all this because of 1 cent....*lol*


    I agree. TradeMe is asking us for money that they have no right to IMO
    by insisting on a top up that is at least $10. I am not going to give
    them $10 to cover a debt of around $3. If I call them to try and sort
    out a smaller payment to cover my current debt, I'd end up paying them
    more by way of 0900 call charges than I owe them!

    The Other Guy
    The Other Guy, Jan 28, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Krazy Bob

    Krazy Bob Guest

    "The Other Guy" <> wrote in message
    news:43dbf693$...
    > Krazy Bob wrote:
    >> Recieved a email today advising me im 1 cent in debt with my acount on
    >> trade me and telling me i have to pay $10 to credit it back.
    >> i laughed because im not paying simply because they tell me to, i'll do
    >> it when i feel like it.
    >>
    >> So now, i log into trade me, nice warning banner tellin me im 1 cent OD,
    >> and go to ask a question and im not allowed because im 1 cent OD, and if
    >> i ask anyway i risk getting my account suspended.
    >> all this because of 1 cent....*lol*

    >
    > I agree. TradeMe is asking us for money that they have no right to IMO by
    > insisting on a top up that is at least $10. I am not going to give them
    > $10 to cover a debt of around $3. If I call them to try and sort out a
    > smaller payment to cover my current debt, I'd end up paying them more by
    > way of 0900 call charges than I owe them!
    >
    > The Other Guy


    i believe if you have a larger debt, sure restrict his privillages, but
    surely for one cent, they can just keep a friendly warning banning when i
    log in or something.
    Krazy Bob, Jan 28, 2006
    #3
  4. Krazy Bob

    Krazy Bob Guest

    "S Roby" <> wrote in message
    news:pVTCf.52793$...
    >
    >>
    >>I agree. TradeMe is asking us for money that they have no right to IMO
    >>by insisting on a top up that is at least $10. I am not going to give

    >
    > you are using their service & logging onto their website
    > They have every right to ask you to pay whatever they seem fit
    > Minimum payments arent that uncommon now.
    >
    > Of course you have the right to refuse to pay & not use them.
    >
    > Its a bit like when companies used to post invoices/bills for (say) 25c
    > owed.


    true. my point was i think its a bit extreme to say pay us $10 to cover the
    one cent debt *now* or else.
    Krazy Bob, Jan 29, 2006
    #4
  5. Krazy Bob

    S Roby Guest


    >
    >I agree. TradeMe is asking us for money that they have no right to IMO
    >by insisting on a top up that is at least $10. I am not going to give


    you are using their service & logging onto their website
    They have every right to ask you to pay whatever they seem fit
    Minimum payments arent that uncommon now.

    Of course you have the right to refuse to pay & not use them.

    Its a bit like when companies used to post invoices/bills for (say) 25c owed.
    S Roby, Jan 29, 2006
    #5
  6. Krazy Bob

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Krazy Bob" <> wrote in message
    news:M7SCf.49688$...
    > Recieved a email today advising me im 1 cent in debt with my acount on
    > trade me and telling me i have to pay $10 to credit it back.
    > i laughed because im not paying simply because they tell me to, i'll do it
    > when i feel like it.
    >
    > So now, i log into trade me, nice warning banner tellin me im 1 cent OD,
    > and go to ask a question and im not allowed because im 1 cent OD, and if i
    > ask anyway i risk getting my account suspended.
    > all this because of 1 cent....*lol*
    >
    > KB


    Sounds like a con.

    Save it for when Fair Go starts up again. They'll be more than pleased to
    do yet another show about Trademe.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Jan 29, 2006
    #6
  7. Krazy Bob

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "S Roby" <> wrote in message
    news:k6VCf.52816$...
    > In article <1138498117.951269@ftpsrv1>, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
    > (*sling)> wrote:
    >>
    >>"Krazy Bob" <> wrote in message
    >>news:M7SCf.49688$...
    >>> Recieved a email today advising me im 1 cent in debt with my acount on
    >>> trade me and telling me i have to pay $10 to credit it back.
    >>> i laughed because im not paying simply because they tell me to, i'll do
    >>> it
    >>> when i feel like it.
    >>>
    >>> So now, i log into trade me, nice warning banner tellin me im 1 cent OD,
    >>> and go to ask a question and im not allowed because im 1 cent OD, and if
    >>> i
    >>> ask anyway i risk getting my account suspended.
    >>> all this because of 1 cent....*lol*
    >>>
    >>> KB

    >>
    >>Sounds like a con.
    >>
    >>Save it for when Fair Go starts up again. They'll be more than pleased to
    >>do yet another show about Trademe.
    >>

    >
    > Do you remeber the interview (dont think it was FairGo) when the trade me
    > dude just reached over & turned off the microphone when he didnt like the
    > way
    > things were going.


    Not really as they've been on Fair Go a few times. One of the more recent
    one's involved the age of the people selling the goods. A guy at Fair Go
    signed up on Trademe as 5 year old.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Jan 29, 2006
    #7
  8. Krazy Bob

    S Roby Guest

    In article <jXTCf.52795$>, "Krazy Bob" <> wrote:
    >
    >"S Roby" <> wrote in message
    >news:pVTCf.52793$...
    >>
    >>>
    >>>I agree. TradeMe is asking us for money that they have no right to IMO
    >>>by insisting on a top up that is at least $10. I am not going to give

    >>
    >> you are using their service & logging onto their website
    >> They have every right to ask you to pay whatever they seem fit
    >> Minimum payments arent that uncommon now.
    >>
    >> Of course you have the right to refuse to pay & not use them.
    >>
    >> Its a bit like when companies used to post invoices/bills for (say) 25c
    >> owed.

    >
    >true. my point was i think its a bit extreme to say pay us $10 to cover the
    >one cent debt *now* or else.
    >


    Agrred. & they will continue to do this as long as everyone just goes along
    with it.
    S Roby, Jan 29, 2006
    #8
  9. Krazy Bob

    S Roby Guest

    In article <1138498117.951269@ftpsrv1>, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote:
    >
    >"Krazy Bob" <> wrote in message
    >news:M7SCf.49688$...
    >> Recieved a email today advising me im 1 cent in debt with my acount on
    >> trade me and telling me i have to pay $10 to credit it back.
    >> i laughed because im not paying simply because they tell me to, i'll do it
    >> when i feel like it.
    >>
    >> So now, i log into trade me, nice warning banner tellin me im 1 cent OD,
    >> and go to ask a question and im not allowed because im 1 cent OD, and if i
    >> ask anyway i risk getting my account suspended.
    >> all this because of 1 cent....*lol*
    >>
    >> KB

    >
    >Sounds like a con.
    >
    >Save it for when Fair Go starts up again. They'll be more than pleased to
    >do yet another show about Trademe.
    >


    Do you remeber the interview (dont think it was FairGo) when the trade me
    dude just reached over & turned off the microphone when he didnt like the way
    things were going.
    S Roby, Jan 29, 2006
    #9
  10. Krazy Bob

    XPD Guest

    "Krazy Bob" <> wrote in message
    news:M7SCf.49688$...
    > Recieved a email today advising me im 1 cent in debt with my acount on
    > trade me and telling me i have to pay $10 to credit it back.
    > i laughed because im not paying simply because they tell me to, i'll do it
    > when i feel like it.
    >
    > So now, i log into trade me, nice warning banner tellin me im 1 cent OD,
    > and go to ask a question and im not allowed because im 1 cent OD, and if i
    > ask anyway i risk getting my account suspended.
    > all this because of 1 cent....*lol*


    Yeah, its stupid... altho a friend of mine kept getting letters from IHUG
    asking him to pay $0.3c on his bill or it'd be sent to Baycorp - he had
    closed his account 3 months earlier and he had kept emailing IHUG asking how
    to pay the 3c and never got an answer. So I went out to reception (I use to
    work for IHUG at the time) and threw them a 5c coin and gave them his
    username.
    The letters stopped after that.... but no mention of his 2c credit/change ;)
    XPD, Jan 29, 2006
    #10
  11. Krazy Bob

    Jerry Guest

    XPD wrote:
    > "Krazy Bob" <> wrote in message
    > news:M7SCf.49688$...
    >
    >>Recieved a email today advising me im 1 cent in debt with my acount on
    >>trade me and telling me i have to pay $10 to credit it back.
    >>i laughed because im not paying simply because they tell me to, i'll do it
    >>when i feel like it.
    >>
    >>So now, i log into trade me, nice warning banner tellin me im 1 cent OD,
    >>and go to ask a question and im not allowed because im 1 cent OD, and if i
    >>ask anyway i risk getting my account suspended.
    >>all this because of 1 cent....*lol*

    >
    >
    > Yeah, its stupid... altho a friend of mine kept getting letters from IHUG
    > asking him to pay $0.3c on his bill or it'd be sent to Baycorp - he had
    > closed his account 3 months earlier and he had kept emailing IHUG asking how
    > to pay the 3c and never got an answer. So I went out to reception (I use to
    > work for IHUG at the time) and threw them a 5c coin and gave them his
    > username.
    > The letters stopped after that.... but no mention of his 2c credit/change ;)
    >


    When I was with IHUG, years ago, they used to send me an e-mail on the
    20th of
    every month saying my account was overdue. I paid a month in advance once,
    and still got the nastygram saying my account was overdue. I sent back
    an e-mail
    and the replied with a statement for $0.00 and a demand for immediate
    payment.
    about that time Saturn put the cable down my street and I dumped IHUG.
    They may have improved since, but their accounts, and customer service
    was hopeless.
    Jerry, Jan 29, 2006
    #11
  12. Krazy Bob

    Krazy Bob Guest

    "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in message
    news:1138498117.951269@ftpsrv1...
    >
    > "Krazy Bob" <> wrote in message
    > news:M7SCf.49688$...
    >> Recieved a email today advising me im 1 cent in debt with my acount on
    >> trade me and telling me i have to pay $10 to credit it back.
    >> i laughed because im not paying simply because they tell me to, i'll do
    >> it when i feel like it.
    >>
    >> So now, i log into trade me, nice warning banner tellin me im 1 cent OD,
    >> and go to ask a question and im not allowed because im 1 cent OD, and if
    >> i ask anyway i risk getting my account suspended.
    >> all this because of 1 cent....*lol*
    >>
    >> KB

    >
    > Sounds like a con.
    >
    > Save it for when Fair Go starts up again. They'll be more than pleased to
    > do yet another show about Trademe.
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    Might just do that :p
    Krazy Bob, Jan 29, 2006
    #12
  13. Krazy Bob

    Krazy Bob Guest

    "XPD" <....nz> wrote in message
    news:...
    >
    > "Krazy Bob" <> wrote in message
    > news:M7SCf.49688$...
    >> Recieved a email today advising me im 1 cent in debt with my acount on
    >> trade me and telling me i have to pay $10 to credit it back.
    >> i laughed because im not paying simply because they tell me to, i'll do
    >> it when i feel like it.
    >>
    >> So now, i log into trade me, nice warning banner tellin me im 1 cent OD,
    >> and go to ask a question and im not allowed because im 1 cent OD, and if
    >> i ask anyway i risk getting my account suspended.
    >> all this because of 1 cent....*lol*

    >
    > Yeah, its stupid... altho a friend of mine kept getting letters from IHUG
    > asking him to pay $0.3c on his bill or it'd be sent to Baycorp - he had
    > closed his account 3 months earlier and he had kept emailing IHUG asking
    > how to pay the 3c and never got an answer. So I went out to reception (I
    > use to work for IHUG at the time) and threw them a 5c coin and gave them
    > his username.
    > The letters stopped after that.... but no mention of his 2c credit/change
    > ;)
    >

    *lol* at going to baycorp baycorp.
    i work for bp and all of our drive off's go through baycorp but its comming
    to a point where im just forgetting about the whole thing because they
    charge up to 65 cents in the dollar for retrieval, and for a $10 or $20
    drive off it costs more time and money than its actually worth, and going
    back to 3 cents, i doubt there would seriously care (baycorp) that is.

    KB
    Krazy Bob, Jan 29, 2006
    #13
  14. Krazy Bob

    Barry Lennox Guest

    On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 02:42:37 GMT, le (S Roby) wrote:

    >In article <jXTCf.52795$>, "Krazy Bob" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>"S Roby" <> wrote in message
    >>news:pVTCf.52793$...
    >>>
    >>>>
    >>>>I agree. TradeMe is asking us for money that they have no right to IMO
    >>>>by insisting on a top up that is at least $10. I am not going to give
    >>>
    >>> you are using their service & logging onto their website
    >>> They have every right to ask you to pay whatever they seem fit
    >>> Minimum payments arent that uncommon now.
    >>>
    >>> Of course you have the right to refuse to pay & not use them.
    >>>
    >>> Its a bit like when companies used to post invoices/bills for (say) 25c
    >>> owed.

    >>
    >>true. my point was i think its a bit extreme to say pay us $10 to cover the
    >>one cent debt *now* or else.
    >>

    >
    >Agrred. & they will continue to do this as long as everyone just goes along
    >with it.


    That's why I don't and won't use them. That and their arrogant 0900
    number if you want to resolve a problem that their system created.
    ****'em. I find anything I need in the Trade and Exchange papers.
    Barry Lennox, Jan 29, 2006
    #14
  15. Krazy Bob

    geopelia Guest

    Are you sure it is really Trade Me sending this demand for money?

    I keep getting emails about my account from Ebay and PayPal. I have never
    had an account with either of them!
    Some sort of email scam going on, nothing to do with the genuine Ebay and
    PayPal.
    Maybe this is something the same.

    Geopelia
    geopelia, Jan 29, 2006
    #15
  16. Krazy Bob

    Krazy Bob Guest

    "geopelia" <> wrote in message
    news:42aDf.71020$...
    > Are you sure it is really Trade Me sending this demand for money?
    >
    > I keep getting emails about my account from Ebay and PayPal. I have never
    > had an account with either of them!
    > Some sort of email scam going on, nothing to do with the genuine Ebay and
    > PayPal.
    > Maybe this is something the same.
    >
    > Geopelia
    >

    Yea you could be right, but no i logged on to trademe, but using my
    bookmark, and they stoped me from asking a question because i was 1 cent in
    debt,

    KB
    Krazy Bob, Jan 29, 2006
    #16
  17. Krazy Bob

    S Roby Guest


    >That's why I don't and won't use them. That and their arrogant 0900
    >number if you want to resolve a problem that their system created.


    I remeber trying to report a trader selling a blatantly copied/pirated game.
    I had to go through there stupid online system where you had to choose between
    preselected subject you wanted to contact them on.
    Absolutly nothing, no option to report piracy.
    I had to ring the 0900 to report piracy.
    S Roby, Jan 29, 2006
    #17
  18. Krazy Bob

    Fran Guest

    Krazy Bob wrote:
    > Yea you could be right, but no i logged on to trademe, but using my
    > bookmark, and they stoped me from asking a question because i was 1 cent
    > in debt,
    >
    > KB


    Their software sees you are in debt.
    You are not allowed to ask questions on auctions if you are in debt.

    What was the problem again?

    Fran
    :):):)
    Fran, Jan 29, 2006
    #18
  19. Krazy Bob

    Andrew Guest

    Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    > In article <jXTCf.52795$>, "Krazy Bob" <> wrote:
    >> "S Roby" <> wrote in message
    >> news:pVTCf.52793$...

    >
    >>>> I agree. TradeMe is asking us for money that they have no right to IMO
    >>>> by insisting on a top up that is at least $10. I am not going to give
    >>> you are using their service & logging onto their website
    >>> They have every right to ask you to pay whatever they seem fit
    >>> Minimum payments arent that uncommon now.
    >>>
    >>> Of course you have the right to refuse to pay & not use them.
    >>>
    >>> Its a bit like when companies used to post invoices/bills for (say) 25c
    >>> owed.

    >> true. my point was i think its a bit extreme to say pay us $10 to cover the
    >> one cent debt *now* or else.

    >
    > What about when you are not in debit at all then ? ... why do they insist
    > that you start with $10 ... when you owe them nothing at all ? :)
    > Yes I Know ... because they can :)
    >
    >
    > Bruce
    >
    > ----------------------------------------
    > I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good
    > people and the bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always and
    > only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.
    >
    > Lord Vetinari in Guards ! Guards ! - Terry Pratchett
    >
    > Caution ===== followups may have been changed to relevant groups
    > (if there were any)
    >

    THe good thing about this method is it helps to stop people from
    creating multiple aliases if they have had negative feed back
    Andrew, Jan 29, 2006
    #19
  20. In article <jXTCf.52795$>, "Krazy Bob" <> wrote:
    >
    >"S Roby" <> wrote in message
    >news:pVTCf.52793$...


    >>>I agree. TradeMe is asking us for money that they have no right to IMO
    >>>by insisting on a top up that is at least $10. I am not going to give

    >>
    >> you are using their service & logging onto their website
    >> They have every right to ask you to pay whatever they seem fit
    >> Minimum payments arent that uncommon now.
    >>
    >> Of course you have the right to refuse to pay & not use them.
    >>
    >> Its a bit like when companies used to post invoices/bills for (say) 25c
    >> owed.

    >
    >true. my point was i think its a bit extreme to say pay us $10 to cover the
    >one cent debt *now* or else.


    What about when you are not in debit at all then ? ... why do they insist
    that you start with $10 ... when you owe them nothing at all ? :)
    Yes I Know ... because they can :)


    Bruce

    ----------------------------------------
    I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good
    people and the bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always and
    only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

    Lord Vetinari in Guards ! Guards ! - Terry Pratchett

    Caution ===== followups may have been changed to relevant groups
    (if there were any)
    Bruce Sinclair, Jan 30, 2006
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. David Hodgson

    argh!!! more acl issues

    David Hodgson, Aug 16, 2004, in forum: Cisco
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    399
    slipstream_242
    Aug 16, 2004
  2. Replies:
    10
    Views:
    39,053
  3. Ja D
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    1,178
    Adrienne
    Jul 2, 2004
  4. Replies:
    0
    Views:
    870
  5. JKML
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    461
    Mark W
    Aug 23, 2003
Loading...

Share This Page