    Given that scenario, what would be the next step? BTW, photoshop runs
    under safe mode.
    , Jul 11, 2007

  2. John Barnes Guest

    Have you tried a System Restore?

    John Barnes, Jul 11, 2007

  3. wrote:

    >Working on this Photoshop problem, I decided to run "filemon" to see
    >what files were being accessed. My systems is set up with most user
    >file on E and the system on C. I noticed from filemon that the system
    >was picking up some system files on E. Now it turns out this PC was
    >dual booted with XP in addition to X64. When I did a system restore, I
    >got confused between systems since the hard drive partitions got
    >renamed. So I zipped up the "wrong" program_files directory, i.e. on
    >the E drive, zipped them, then deleted the files. After this, the PC
    >won't boot except in safe mode. I restored (unzipped) the files in
    >safe mode, but that didn't fix the boot issue. That is, I can only
    >boot in safe mode.
    >
    >Given that scenario, what would be the next step? BTW, photoshop runs
    >under safe mode.

    A repair install of Windows, then reinstall any applications that were in
    the "wrong" PF folder.

    --
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
    ---------------------------------------
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP], Jul 11, 2007
  4. Guest

    On Jul 11, 5:09 am, "Steve Foster [SBS MVP]"
    <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > >Working on this Photoshop problem, I decided to run "filemon" to see
    > >what files were being accessed. My systems is set up with most user
    > >file on E and the system on C. I noticed from filemon that the system
    > >was picking up some system files on E. Now it turns out this PC was
    > >dual booted with XP in addition to X64. When I did a system restore, I
    > >got confused between systems since the hard drive partitions got
    > >renamed. So I zipped up the "wrong" program_files directory, i.e. on
    > >the E drive, zipped them, then deleted the files. After this, the PC
    > >won't boot except in safe mode. I restored (unzipped) the files in
    > >safe mode, but that didn't fix the boot issue. That is, I can only
    > >boot in safe mode.

    > >Given that scenario, what would be the next step? BTW, photoshop runs
    > >under safe mode.

    > A repair install of Windows, then reinstall any applications that were in
    > the "wrong" PF folder.
    >
    > --
    > Steve Foster [SBS MVP]

    That was my guess. I was just wondering if someone had a better idea.
    If it was totally hosed, I would have done the repair right away. But
    the fact it worked in safe mode made me wonder if there was a simpler
    solution.

    Here is another thought. I got a registry inspection program, and it
    found quite a few errors. Since I'm doing a repair, would it make
    sense to wipe out all the errors first?
    , Jul 12, 2007
  5. I did that once but I had a brainstorm that going back to "last best
    configuration" would do the trick. Unfortunately, my computer decided that
    the "last best configuration" was in Safe Mode and that was the end of the
    line. I had a few other problems so I did a complete reformat. Good luck in
    repairing Windows.
    --
    Denise

    ~ If you don't know where you came from, you won't know where you're going.

    =?Utf-8?B?RGVuaXNl?=, Jul 14, 2007