Argh!...32bit or 64bit?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Noozer, Jun 6, 2006.

  1. Noozer

    Noozer Guest

    My system is using an AMD Opteron 165 CPU, which is a dual core 64bit CPU.
    The mainboard is based on the nForce 4 Ultra chipset.

    All the software I used is still 32 bit. Companies are REALLY dragging their
    asses to make 64 bit versions of their software available. The support
    website form of my software doesn't even hint at anything 64 bit.

    From everything I can see, all my hardware has 64bit compatible drivers.

    So, the question is, should I install Windows XP Pro x86 or x64?

    From working with both OS's on the same hardware, I can say that x86 "seems"
    a bit more responsive than x64. More stuff will work on x86, should I end up
    with new hardware or software.

    On the other hand, if I install x64, I can slowly switch over to 64 bit
    applications... eventually doing most of my work in 64 bits...

    So, do I want the eggs, spam, spam, and spam OR should I choose the spam,
    spam, eggs and spam?
    Noozer, Jun 6, 2006

  2. Noozer

    Bo Persson Guest

    "Noozer" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > My system is using an AMD Opteron 165 CPU, which is a dual core
    > 64bit CPU. The mainboard is based on the nForce 4 Ultra chipset.
    >
    > All the software I used is still 32 bit. Companies are REALLY
    > dragging their asses to make 64 bit versions of their software
    > available. The support website form of my software doesn't even hint
    > at anything 64 bit.

    Why would they produce 64 bit software, when everybody hesitates to
    install a 64 bit OS? :)

    Bo Persson
    Bo Persson, Jun 6, 2006

  3. I think, if you are currently dual-booting, there is little impetus to make
    you change that.

    If you are not - and feel under constraint from missing cross-compatibility,
    you might consider dual-booting?

    Personally, I have two machines dual-booting, mostly out of reluctance to
    part with an old and very good machine that I have targeted to running those
    essential simulator games that wouldn't install on the AMD x64 + a
    continuing need for keeping myself informed of the Linux development.

    My 64bit system, I admit is not as responsive as it used to be - I need to
    do some major clean up, because subjectively, it was more responsive than
    the 32bit - however, also slightly more powerfull.

    This all, tells me that from where I stand there is no fork in the road, I
    am well equiped to follow the general direction and take any ominous
    decisions later.

    But then I am somewhat a procrastinator.

    I can see no specific route you 'should' follow, except to see your options
    as 'the landscape' and your needs as the focusing lens.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jun 6, 2006
  4. If you have doubts about x64 then don't use it. Use x86.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 6, 2006
  5. Here is an excellent one to check out, is 64-bit Windows right for me, by
    Charlie Russel - MVP:
    http://download.microsoft.com/downl..._XP_Professional_x64_Edition_Right_for_Me.doc
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 6, 2006
  6. Noozer

    Graham Guest

    Noozer wrote:
    > So, the question is, should I install Windows XP Pro x86 or x64?

    I have two answers to this question. First, if you have to ask, stick
    with x86. Second, most 32-bit software will work on x64, so you might as
    well go with x64.

    Charlie's whitepaper goes into all the pros and cons. Apart from
    hardware drivers, for software the two most significant are 32-bit
    software with 16-bit installers (won't install) and 32-bit software with
    32-bit drivers (won't run and sometimes won't install).

    Actually, 32-bit software with 32-bit drivers may run with some features
    missing (iTunes for example) and some you can find appropriate 64-bit
    drivers for elsewhere (iTunes again).

    Graham.
    Graham, Jun 7, 2006