    end? A box the size of a car? Somehow or another the signal has to get from
    the computer to the tower to make it work. So far I have not seen any
    information on this part.

    richard, Sep 24, 2010

  2. richard

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    On 24/09/2010 06:23, richard wrote:
    > http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/fcc-approves-super-wifi/7425
    >
    > Forget 3g, forget wifi.
    > The next giant step for communicating between computers will now be in the
    > space known as "Super wifi".
    > This unlicensed area of radio waves will allow companies to install radio
    > towers that will cover greater areas than standard wifi does.
    >
    > Ok for the tower end of the deal. What's going to be needed on the consumer
    > end? A box the size of a car? Somehow or another the signal has to get from
    > the computer to the tower to make it work. So far I have not seen any
    > information on this part.

    <Sigh> Of course all the receivers will be the size of cars Richard,
    just like all the current technology is..

    Desk Rabbit, Sep 24, 2010

  3. richard

    Mike Yetto Guest

    Re: is richard ready for the previous leap into computercommunications?

    richard <> writes and having writ moves on.
    >http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/fcc-approves-super-wifi/7425

    >Forget 3g, forget wifi.
    >The next giant step for communicating between computers will now be in the
    >space known as "Super wifi".
    >This unlicensed area of radio waves will allow companies to install radio
    >towers that will cover greater areas than standard wifi does.

    >Ok for the tower end of the deal. What's going to be needed on the consumer
    >end? A box the size of a car? Somehow or another the signal has to get from
    >the computer to the tower to make it work. So far I have not seen any
    >information on this part.

    The go-ahead was just received to use this part of the spectrum
    so nothing to use it exists yet. The hardware will be developed
    later and will be a useable size and price or a failure.

    Mike "I'll wait and see, you'll forget" Yetto
    In practice they are not.

    Mike Yetto, Sep 24, 2010
  4. richard

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 22:23:04 -0700, richard wrote:

    > http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/fcc-approves-super-wifi/7425
    >
    > Forget 3g, forget wifi.
    > The next giant step for communicating between computers will now be in
    > the space known as "Super wifi".
    > This unlicensed area of radio waves will allow companies to install
    > radio towers that will cover greater areas than standard wifi does.
    >
    > Ok for the tower end of the deal. What's going to be needed on the
    > consumer end? A box the size of a car? Somehow or another the signal has
    > to get from the computer to the tower to make it work. So far I have not
    > seen any information on this part.

    <boggle>

    Meat Plow, Sep 24, 2010
  5. richard

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 08:05:24 -0400, Mike Yetto wrote:

    > richard <> writes and having writ moves on.
    >>http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/fcc-approves-super-wifi/7425

    >>Forget 3g, forget wifi.
    >>The next giant step for communicating between computers will now be in
    >>the space known as "Super wifi".
    >>This unlicensed area of radio waves will allow companies to install
    >>radio towers that will cover greater areas than standard wifi does.

    >>Ok for the tower end of the deal. What's going to be needed on the
    >>consumer end? A box the size of a car? Somehow or another the signal has
    >>to get from the computer to the tower to make it work. So far I have not
    >>seen any information on this part.

    > The go-ahead was just received to use this part of the spectrum so
    > nothing to use it exists yet. The hardware will be developed later and
    > will be a useable size and price or a failure.
    >
    > Mike "I'll wait and see, you'll forget" Yetto

    Funny how all of a sudden a wifi receiver has gone from the size of a USB
    dongle or min-pci card to the size of a car. I guess when you are RtS and
    have previously explained how tires "implode" and that you have used wifi
    from a source 20 miles away via "skip" anything goes huh?

    Meat Plow, Sep 24, 2010
  6. richard

    Jordon Guest

    richard wrote:
    > http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/fcc-approves-super-wifi/7425
    >
    > Forget 3g, forget wifi.
    > The next giant step for communicating between computers will now be in the
    > space known as "Super wifi".
    > This unlicensed area of radio waves will allow companies to install radio
    > towers that will cover greater areas than standard wifi does.
    >
    > Ok for the tower end of the deal. What's going to be needed on the consumer
    > end? A box the size of a car? Somehow or another the signal has to get from
    > the computer to the tower to make it work. So far I have not seen any
    > information on this part.

    I must have missed that part of the technical evolution of
    cell phones when they were car sized.

    Jordon, Sep 24, 2010
  7. richard

    OldGringo38 Guest

    On 9/24/2010 12:23 AM Just to please that super-ego, richard wrote the
    following tidbit of information:
    > http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/fcc-approves-super-wifi/7425
    >
    > Forget 3g, forget wifi.
    > The next giant step for communicating between computers will now be in the
    > space known as "Super wifi".
    > This unlicensed area of radio waves will allow companies to install radio
    > towers that will cover greater areas than standard wifi does.
    >
    > Ok for the tower end of the deal. What's going to be needed on the consumer
    > end? A box the size of a car? Somehow or another the signal has to get from
    > the computer to the tower to make it work. So far I have not seen any
    > information on this part.

    That spectrum of radio waves falls between channel 5 & 6 in the TV band
    and are considered to be deadly radio waves. If you should see a car
    sized black box in your neighbors driveway with the words :Super WiFi"
    stenciled on it, get a supply of Reynolds Wrap and cover your entire
    house with it. You also may want to make a hat out of it.
    http://xrl.in/6ew8 Good Luck and be careful.

    --
    OldGringo38
    Just West Of Nowhere

    OldGringo38, Sep 24, 2010
  8. richard

    OldGringo38 Guest

    On 9/24/2010 12:23 AM Just to please that super-ego, richard wrote the
    following tidbit of information:
    > http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/fcc-approves-super-wifi/7425
    >
    > Forget 3g, forget wifi.
    > The next giant step for communicating between computers will now be in the
    > space known as "Super wifi".
    > This unlicensed area of radio waves will allow companies to install radio
    > towers that will cover greater areas than standard wifi does.
    >
    > Ok for the tower end of the deal. What's going to be needed on the consumer
    > end? A box the size of a car? Somehow or another the signal has to get from
    > the computer to the tower to make it work. So far I have not seen any
    > information on this part.

    That spectrum of radio waves falls between channel 5 & 6 in the TV band
    and are considered to be deadly radio waves. If you should see a car
    sized black box in your neighbors driveway with the words :Super WiFi"
    stenciled on it, get a supply of Reynolds Wrap and cover your entire
    house with it. You also may want to make a hat out of it.
    http://xrl.in/6ew8 Good Luck and be careful.
    PS: This aint no shit man.

    OldGringo38, Sep 24, 2010
  9. richard wrote:
    > http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/fcc-approves-super-wifi/7425
    >
    > Forget 3g, forget wifi.
    > The next giant step for communicating between computers will now be in the
    > space known as "Super wifi".
    > This unlicensed area of radio waves will allow companies to install radio
    > towers that will cover greater areas than standard wifi does.

    Maybe community WiFi will finally become a reality?
    Oh wait...no chance in corporate controlled Uhmurikuh.

    > Ok for the tower end of the deal. What's going to be needed on the consumer
    > end? A box the size of a car? Somehow or another the signal has to get from
    > the computer to the tower to make it work. So far I have not seen any
    > information on this part.

    Its the unused "white space" in the tee vee channel frequency. I'd
    presume receivers based on the USB dongle concept.

    Xpoasted for smarder peeps to see.

    <nods>

    §ñühw¤£f, Sep 24, 2010
  10. richard

    OldGringo38 Guest

    On 9/24/2010 10:03 AM Just to please that super-ego, §ñühw¤£f wrote the
    following tidbit of information:
    > richard wrote:
    >> http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/fcc-approves-super-wifi/7425
    >>
    >> Forget 3g, forget wifi. The next giant step for communicating between
    >> computers will now be in the
    >> space known as "Super wifi".
    >> This unlicensed area of radio waves will allow companies to install radio
    >> towers that will cover greater areas than standard wifi does.
    >>

    > Maybe community WiFi will finally become a reality?
    > Oh wait...no chance in corporate controlled Uhmurikuh.
    >
    >> Ok for the tower end of the deal. What's going to be needed on the
    >> consumer
    >> end? A box the size of a car? Somehow or another the signal has to get
    >> from
    >> the computer to the tower to make it work. So far I have not seen any
    >> information on this part.

    > Its the unused "white space" in the tee vee channel frequency. I'd
    > presume receivers based on the USB dongle concept.
    >
    > Xpoasted for smarder peeps to see.
    >
    > <nods>

    Now that's a No No, but if you can do it so can I. <g>

    OldGringo38, Sep 24, 2010
  11. richard

    Jordon Guest

    Evan Platt wrote:
    > On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 09:22:23 +0100, Desk Rabbit<>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> <Sigh> Of course all the receivers will be the size of cars Richard,
    >> just like all the current technology is..

    > stOOpid may have a point. I mean if the signal is coming from the sky,
    > somehow we have to get that signal onto our computers. I mean, it's
    > not like they have anything now you receive signals from in the sky,
    > like television signals or anything, so who knows how big these
    > receivers will be.
    > </SARCASM>

    You're going to confuse him.

    Jordon, Sep 24, 2010
  12. richard

    Robert James Guest

    On Sep 24, 10:03 am, §ñühw¤£f <> wrote:

    > Xpoasted for smarder peeps to see.

    Missed ya, Wolf!

    --
    At work I'll use this Gigalo Groupies thingy.

    Robert James, Sep 24, 2010
  13. richard

    richard Guest

    On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 13:08:40 +0000 (UTC), Meat Plow wrote:

    > On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 08:05:24 -0400, Mike Yetto wrote:
    >
    >> richard <> writes and having writ moves on.
    >>>http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/fcc-approves-super-wifi/7425

    >>>Forget 3g, forget wifi.
    >>>The next giant step for communicating between computers will now be in
    >>>the space known as "Super wifi".
    >>>This unlicensed area of radio waves will allow companies to install
    >>>radio towers that will cover greater areas than standard wifi does.

    >>>Ok for the tower end of the deal. What's going to be needed on the
    >>>consumer end? A box the size of a car? Somehow or another the signal has
    >>>to get from the computer to the tower to make it work. So far I have not
    >>>seen any information on this part.

    >> The go-ahead was just received to use this part of the spectrum so
    >> nothing to use it exists yet. The hardware will be developed later and
    >> will be a useable size and price or a failure.
    >>
    >> Mike "I'll wait and see, you'll forget" Yetto

    > Funny how all of a sudden a wifi receiver has gone from the size of a USB
    > dongle or min-pci card to the size of a car. I guess when you are RtS and
    > have previously explained how tires "implode" and that you have used wifi
    > from a source 20 miles away via "skip" anything goes huh?

    Smart boy ain't ya?
    My first cell phone I had to carry in my hands and was the size of a small
    briefcase.
    My reference to the equipment for super wifi being the size of a car was
    only to dramatize the fact that when these things first come out, they are
    usually on the large size. Within a year or two those same items begin to
    shrink to more manageable sizes as cellphones did.
    As what has happened to computers.

    As for your smirk remark about my wifi linkup
    http://www.unwiredadventures.com/unwire/2005/12/defcon_wifi_sho.html

    My tire implosion experience would not be so laughable had I taken a
    picture of the tire. What is the difference between explosion and
    implosion? Implosion simply means that the force is directed towards the
    inside rather than to the outside. An explosion sends debris out from the
    source. In my tire implosion, there was no such outward debris. It was the
    inner core that had ruptured and the force was directed towards the rim.
    Therefore, an implosion.

    Why is it you're never laughing when people shoot you down for your
    stupidity?

    richard, Sep 24, 2010
  14. richard

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 09:41:46 -0700, richard wrote:

    > On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 13:08:40 +0000 (UTC), Meat Plow wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 08:05:24 -0400, Mike Yetto wrote:
    >>
    >>> richard <> writes and having writ moves on.

    >>> The go-ahead was just received to use this part of the spectrum so
    >>> nothing to use it exists yet. The hardware will be developed later
    >>> and will be a useable size and price or a failure.
    >>>
    >>> Mike "I'll wait and see, you'll forget" Yetto

    >> Funny how all of a sudden a wifi receiver has gone from the size of a
    >> USB dongle or min-pci card to the size of a car. I guess when you are
    >> RtS and have previously explained how tires "implode" and that you have
    >> used wifi from a source 20 miles away via "skip" anything goes huh?

    > Smart boy ain't ya?

    Boy, hardly. Smart, exceptionally. Compared to you I'm Leonardo Da Vinci.

    Meat Plow, Sep 24, 2010
  15. richard

    Mike Yetto Guest

    Re: is richard ready for the previous leap into computercommunications?

    richard <> writes and having writ moves on.
    >On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 13:08:40 +0000 (UTC), Meat Plow wrote:

    >> On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 08:05:24 -0400, Mike Yetto wrote:
    >>
    >>> richard <> writes and having writ moves on.

    >>> The go-ahead was just received to use this part of the spectrum so
    >>> nothing to use it exists yet. The hardware will be developed later and
    >>> will be a useable size and price or a failure.
    >>>
    >>> Mike "I'll wait and see, you'll forget" Yetto

    >> Funny how all of a sudden a wifi receiver has gone from the size of a USB
    >> dongle or min-pci card to the size of a car. I guess when you are RtS and
    >> have previously explained how tires "implode" and that you have used wifi
    >> from a source 20 miles away via "skip" anything goes huh?

    >Smart boy ain't ya?
    >My first cell phone I had to carry in my hands and was the size of a small
    >briefcase.
    >My reference to the equipment for super wifi being the size of a car was
    >only to dramatize the fact that when these things first come out, they are
    >usually on the large size. Within a year or two those same items begin to
    >shrink to more manageable sizes as cellphones did.
    >As what has happened to computers.

    Those briefcases were not *cell* phones. Electronic devices
    do not start with an large form factor determined by the size of
    the componets. The size is determined by the usability of the
    input and output methods. Unless you plan on sleeping in your
    super-wifi dongle it has no need to be such an overly damatized
    size.

    >As for your smirk remark about my wifi linkup
    >http://www.unwiredadventures.com/unwire/2005/12/defcon_wifi_sho.html

    You did that?

    >My tire implosion experience would not be so laughable had I taken a
    >picture of the tire. What is the difference between explosion and
    >implosion? Implosion simply means that the force is directed towards the
    >inside rather than to the outside. An explosion sends debris out from the
    >source. In my tire implosion, there was no such outward debris. It was the
    >inner core that had ruptured and the force was directed towards the rim.
    >Therefore, an implosion.

    Debris has nothing to do with the difference between inplosion or
    explosion. Was the force generated by a rapid expansion or
    compression of the tire? An implosion in a tire would only
    happen if the inner pressure were less than the atmospheric
    pressure. With a vacuum in the tire and STP the pressure would
    be insufficient. Perhaps you were at the bottom of an ocean at
    the time.

    >Why is it you're never laughing when people shoot you down for your
    >stupidity?

    Mike "learn this phrase, 'pales in comparison'" Yetto
    In practice they are not.

    Mike Yetto, Sep 24, 2010
  16. Re: is richard ready for the previous leap into computer communications?

    richard wrote:

    > As for your smirk remark about my wifi linkup
    > http://www.unwiredadventures.com/unwire/2005/12/defcon_wifi_sho.html

    Oh c'mon, not again! 12-foot dishes on mountaintops. A hell of a lot of
    difference to the walkabout "super wifi" you're pretending to know
    something about. Yup. I see where you got the "big as a car"
    description.

    Oh, and you yourself never did it.

    Remember, folks. RtS also saw a firework 20 miles away and heard the
    bang within two seconds...

    --
    -bts
    -In a broadband world, you are just a dialup

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 24, 2010
  17. richard

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 13:46:45 -0400, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > richard wrote:
    >
    >> As for your smirk remark about my wifi linkup
    >> http://www.unwiredadventures.com/unwire/2005/12/defcon_wifi_sho.html

    > Oh c'mon, not again! 12-foot dishes on mountaintops. A hell of a lot of
    > difference to the walkabout "super wifi" you're pretending to know
    > something about. Yup. I see where you got the "big as a car"
    > description.
    >
    > Oh, and you yourself never did it.
    >
    > Remember, folks. RtS also saw a firework 20 miles away and heard the
    > bang within two seconds...

    Yeah not many if any except a few nerds are going to be erecting those
    things in real life situations. Sure you can beam wifi with sensitive
    enough hardware hundreds of miles. His original Super wifi post eluded to
    something practical and as you put, walkabout.

    Meat Plow, Sep 24, 2010
  18. richard

    richard Guest

    On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 18:06:31 +0000 (UTC), Meat Plow wrote:

    > On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 13:46:45 -0400, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >
    >> richard wrote:
    >>
    >>> As for your smirk remark about my wifi linkup
    >>> http://www.unwiredadventures.com/unwire/2005/12/defcon_wifi_sho.html

    >> Oh c'mon, not again! 12-foot dishes on mountaintops. A hell of a lot of
    >> difference to the walkabout "super wifi" you're pretending to know
    >> something about. Yup. I see where you got the "big as a car"
    >> description.
    >>
    >> Oh, and you yourself never did it.
    >>
    >> Remember, folks. RtS also saw a firework 20 miles away and heard the
    >> bang within two seconds...

    > Yeah not many if any except a few nerds are going to be erecting those
    > things in real life situations. Sure you can beam wifi with sensitive
    > enough hardware hundreds of miles. His original Super wifi post eluded to
    > something practical and as you put, walkabout.

    strange things happen with radio signals.
    On one particular summer day when I had a 47mhz radio in my house, which
    was in cincinnati ohio, I talked to a station in Los Angeles Ca. We only
    had a 100 watt radio and a 110ft tower.
    I could hear their mobile units with ease.
    I was talking to a guy with a hand held 5 watt radio 40 miles away.

    Granted, my 25 mile wifi connection was a fluke. But not unheard of as
    pointed out with the defcon people.

    With super wifi now becoming reality, do you have any idea of what
    equipment for home use is going to look like? We will know in a few months.

    richard, Sep 24, 2010
  19. richard

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 11:35:53 -0700, richard wrote:

    > On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 18:06:31 +0000 (UTC), Meat Plow wrote:

    >>> Oh c'mon, not again! 12-foot dishes on mountaintops. A hell of a lot
    >>> of difference to the walkabout "super wifi" you're pretending to know
    >>> something about. Yup. I see where you got the "big as a car"
    >>> description.
    >>>
    >>> Oh, and you yourself never did it.
    >>>
    >>> Remember, folks. RtS also saw a firework 20 miles away and heard the
    >>> bang within two seconds...

    >> Yeah not many if any except a few nerds are going to be erecting those
    >> things in real life situations. Sure you can beam wifi with sensitive
    >> enough hardware hundreds of miles. His original Super wifi post eluded
    >> to something practical and as you put, walkabout.

    > strange things happen with radio signals. On one particular summer day
    > when I had a 47mhz radio in my house, which was in cincinnati ohio, I
    > talked to a station in Los Angeles Ca. We only had a 100 watt radio and
    > a 110ft tower. I could hear their mobile units with ease. I was talking
    > to a guy with a hand held 5 watt radio 40 miles away.
    >
    > Granted, my 25 mile wifi connection was a fluke. But not unheard of as
    > pointed out with the defcon people.
    >
    > With super wifi now becoming reality, do you have any idea of what
    > equipment for home use is going to look like? We will know in a few
    > months.

    I just renewed my Extra class amateur ticket for the second time. They
    make you renew them every 10 years.

    Meat Plow, Sep 24, 2010
  20. richard

    joevan Guest

    <> wrote:

    >richard wrote:
    >
    >> As for your smirk remark about my wifi linkup
    >> http://www.unwiredadventures.com/unwire/2005/12/defcon_wifi_sho.html

    >Oh c'mon, not again! 12-foot dishes on mountaintops. A hell of a lot of
    >difference to the walkabout "super wifi" you're pretending to know
    >something about. Yup. I see where you got the "big as a car"
    >description.
    >
    >Oh, and you yourself never did it.
    >
    >Remember, folks. RtS also saw a firework 20 miles away and heard the
    >bang within two seconds...

    Yeah, I guess it is all in his haid.

    joevan, Sep 24, 2010