Are you pissed at paying $39.95 for special features?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Guest, Apr 25, 2004.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Studios are starting to strip off special featurs for DVDs at $29.95 and
    repacking them in "special editions" priced at $39.95. Master and Commander,
    Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003), and Mystic River are all taking this path.

    I don't know about you, but I don't like seeing all the special features
    removed for the $30 versions. I'm not willing to pay 10 more bucks to see an
    HBO First Look or director's commentary on a DVD. The Master and Commander
    situation is especially frustrating because the single disc doesn't have any
    special features at all. They could have thrown us a bone and given
    something extra.

    Tom
    Guest, Apr 25, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Guest

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    wrote:
    > Studios are starting to strip off special featurs for DVDs at $29.95 and
    > repacking them in "special editions" priced at $39.95. Master and Commander,
    > Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003), and Mystic River are all taking this path.
    >
    > I don't know about you, but I don't like seeing all the special features
    > removed for the $30 versions. I'm not willing to pay 10 more bucks to see an
    > HBO First Look or director's commentary on a DVD. The Master and Commander
    > situation is especially frustrating because the single disc doesn't have any
    > special features at all. They could have thrown us a bone and given
    > something extra.
    >
    > Tom
    >
    >
    >

    Yes, I've noticed that. I'm hoping that it may turn out like
    Schindler's list, where no one buys the expensive version and it gets
    dropped in price by a lot.

    dick
    Dick Sidbury, Apr 25, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Guest

    Guest

    On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 11:37:00 GMT, <> wrote:

    >Studios are starting to strip off special featurs for DVDs at $29.95 and
    >repacking them in "special editions" priced at $39.95. Master and Commander,
    >Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003), and Mystic River are all taking this path.
    >
    >I don't know about you, but I don't like seeing all the special features
    >removed for the $30 versions. I'm not willing to pay 10 more bucks to see an
    >HBO First Look or director's commentary on a DVD. The Master and Commander
    >situation is especially frustrating because the single disc doesn't have any
    >special features at all. They could have thrown us a bone and given
    >something extra.
    >
    >Tom
    >
    >

    I dont buy them anymore just rent and copy.
    , Apr 25, 2004
    #3
  4. Guest

    Guest

    On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 10:43:51 -0400, wrote:

    >I dont buy them anymore just rent and copy.


    Where do you rent that carries the special features discs. It has been
    my experience that say Hollywood Video only gets one version and never
    upgrades. For instance my store still only carries the original
    version of Traffic and Memento without the added features and
    commentaries and when I ask them to get the other versions they say it
    is a corporate thing.
    , Apr 25, 2004
    #4
  5. <> wrote in message
    news:wpNic.16579$...
    > Studios are starting to strip off special featurs for DVDs at $29.95 and
    > repacking them in "special editions" priced at $39.95. Master and

    Commander,
    > Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003), and Mystic River are all taking this path.
    >
    > I don't know about you, but I don't like seeing all the special features
    > removed for the $30 versions. I'm not willing to pay 10 more bucks to see

    an
    > HBO First Look or director's commentary on a DVD. The Master and Commander
    > situation is especially frustrating because the single disc
    >doesn't have any
    > special features at all. They could have thrown us a bone and given
    > something extra.
    >

    If it's an unsuccessful market they'll stop doing it.
    ominousspiritous, Apr 25, 2004
    #5
  6. Guest

    Guest

    On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 17:36:39 GMT, wrote:

    >On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 10:43:51 -0400, wrote:
    >
    >>I dont buy them anymore just rent and copy.

    >
    >Where do you rent that carries the special features discs. It has been
    >my experience that say Hollywood Video only gets one version and never
    >upgrades. For instance my store still only carries the original
    >version of Traffic and Memento without the added features and
    >commentaries and when I ask them to get the other versions they say it
    >is a corporate thing.


    Usually from netflix I dont really care about disc extras.
    , Apr 25, 2004
    #6
  7. Guest

    TCS Guest

    On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 10:43:51 -0400, <> wrote:
    >On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 11:37:00 GMT, <> wrote:


    >>Studios are starting to strip off special featurs for DVDs at $29.95 and
    >>repacking them in "special editions" priced at $39.95. Master and Commander,
    >>Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003), and Mystic River are all taking this path.
    >>
    >>I don't know about you, but I don't like seeing all the special features
    >>removed for the $30 versions. I'm not willing to pay 10 more bucks to see an
    >>HBO First Look or director's commentary on a DVD. The Master and Commander
    >>situation is especially frustrating because the single disc doesn't have any
    >>special features at all. They could have thrown us a bone and given
    >>something extra.
    >>
    >>Tom
    >>
    >>

    >I dont buy them anymore just rent and copy.


    Wouldn't it be easier to shoplift them or perhaps just rob a few liquor stores?
    Ya too much a coward?
    TCS, Apr 25, 2004
    #7
  8. Guest

    Guest

    On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 13:32:43 -0500, TCS
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 10:43:51 -0400, <> wrote:
    >>On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 11:37:00 GMT, <> wrote:

    >
    >>>Studios are starting to strip off special featurs for DVDs at $29.95 and
    >>>repacking them in "special editions" priced at $39.95. Master and Commander,
    >>>Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003), and Mystic River are all taking this path.
    >>>
    >>>I don't know about you, but I don't like seeing all the special features
    >>>removed for the $30 versions. I'm not willing to pay 10 more bucks to see an
    >>>HBO First Look or director's commentary on a DVD. The Master and Commander
    >>>situation is especially frustrating because the single disc doesn't have any
    >>>special features at all. They could have thrown us a bone and given
    >>>something extra.
    >>>
    >>>Tom
    >>>
    >>>

    >>I dont buy them anymore just rent and copy.

    >
    >Wouldn't it be easier to shoplift them or perhaps just rob a few liquor stores?
    >Ya too much a coward?


    Look up my record and say that to my face. Ya troll cocksucker.
    , Apr 25, 2004
    #8
  9. Guest

    Justin Guest

    wrote on [Sun, 25 Apr 2004 14:54:21 -0400]:
    > On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 13:32:43 -0500, TCS
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 10:43:51 -0400, <> wrote:
    >>>On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 11:37:00 GMT, <> wrote:

    >>
    >>>>Studios are starting to strip off special featurs for DVDs at $29.95 and
    >>>>repacking them in "special editions" priced at $39.95. Master and Commander,
    >>>>Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003), and Mystic River are all taking this path.
    >>>>
    >>>>I don't know about you, but I don't like seeing all the special features
    >>>>removed for the $30 versions. I'm not willing to pay 10 more bucks to see an
    >>>>HBO First Look or director's commentary on a DVD. The Master and Commander
    >>>>situation is especially frustrating because the single disc doesn't have any
    >>>>special features at all. They could have thrown us a bone and given
    >>>>something extra.
    >>>>
    >>>>Tom
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>I dont buy them anymore just rent and copy.

    >>
    >>Wouldn't it be easier to shoplift them or perhaps just rob a few liquor stores?
    >>Ya too much a coward?

    >
    > Look up my record and say that to my face. Ya troll cocksucker.


    So, instead of buying, you steal. And the person that calls you on it is
    a troll?
    Huh.
    Justin, Apr 25, 2004
    #9
  10. Guest

    Cernovog Guest

    On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 15:15:25 -0400, Justin wrote
    (in message <2go.com>):

    > So, instead of buying, you steal. And the person that calls you on
    > it is a troll?


    He called me a troll in a newsgroup I'm a regular poster in. To top it off,
    I'd never seen him in that newsgroup before. I don't think he knows what that
    word means.
    Cernovog, Apr 25, 2004
    #10
  11. Guest

    Mark Spatny Guest

    , says...
    > Studios are starting to strip off special featurs for DVDs at $29.95 and
    > repacking them in "special editions" priced at $39.95.


    Fine for me. I don't watch most of those so-called special features
    anyway. Most of them are anything BUT special. Who gives a crap about
    all those pre-release marketing packages. I just want to see the movie.

    The REAL special editions, like the LOTR sets, are worth the extra money
    because their extras really are special.
    Mark Spatny, Apr 25, 2004
    #11
  12. Yeah, I don't like the trend either.

    Master and Commander single disc I could get for 14.88 at Walmart but
    the 2 disc set I could only get for $29.99 so with the discounts it's
    more than $10.00, actually $15.00.

    I read a review saying the MAC extras were worthwhile so I did get the
    $30.00 set but that's not going to be the case all the time.

    Mike

    wrote:
    >
    > Studios are starting to strip off special featurs for DVDs at $29.95 and
    > repacking them in "special editions" priced at $39.95. Master and Commander,
    > Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003), and Mystic River are all taking this path.
    >
    > I don't know about you, but I don't like seeing all the special features
    > removed for the $30 versions. I'm not willing to pay 10 more bucks to see an
    > HBO First Look or director's commentary on a DVD. The Master and Commander
    > situation is especially frustrating because the single disc doesn't have any
    > special features at all. They could have thrown us a bone and given
    > something extra.
    >
    > Tom
    Michael Rogers, Apr 25, 2004
    #12
  13. Guest

    TCS Guest

    On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 17:16:08 -0400, Cernovog <> wrote:
    >On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 15:15:25 -0400, Justin wrote
    >(in message <2go.com>):


    >> So, instead of buying, you steal. And the person that calls you on
    >> it is a troll?


    >He called me a troll in a newsgroup I'm a regular poster in. To top it off,
    >I'd never seen him in that newsgroup before. I don't think he knows what that
    >word means.


    You're a regular idiot.
    TCS, Apr 26, 2004
    #13
  14. Guest

    Guest

    On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 17:16:08 -0400, Cernovog <>
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 15:15:25 -0400, Justin wrote
    >(in message <2go.com>):
    >
    >> So, instead of buying, you steal. And the person that calls you on
    >> it is a troll?

    >
    >He called me a troll in a newsgroup I'm a regular poster in. To top it off,
    >I'd never seen him in that newsgroup before. I don't think he knows what that
    >word means.


    Then at least learn to post properly by quoting the previous post.
    Who are you talking about? I am involved in this thread and I dont
    know. I have been posting here for years.
    A troll includes people like cernodog and the anal screwtinizer. Both
    post bullshit just to get a response. No one gives a **** about your
    opinions.
    , Apr 26, 2004
    #14
  15. Guest

    Shadowspawn Guest

    On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 11:37:00 GMT, <> wrote:

    >Studios are starting to strip off special featurs for DVDs at $29.95 and
    >repacking them in "special editions" priced at $39.95. Master and Commander,
    >Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003), and Mystic River are all taking this path.
    >
    >I don't know about you, but I don't like seeing all the special features
    >removed for the $30 versions. I'm not willing to pay 10 more bucks to see an
    >HBO First Look or director's commentary on a DVD. The Master and Commander
    >situation is especially frustrating because the single disc doesn't have any
    >special features at all. They could have thrown us a bone and given
    >something extra.
    >
    >Tom
    >
    >

    At least they are being UPFRONT about it and releasing them at the
    same time rather than waiting 6 months after you already bought one
    version. Spider-man SE is coming out in a few months and I have to
    wonder how 'special" its going to have to be to pry another $20 out of
    my wallet.
    Shadowspawn, Apr 26, 2004
    #15
  16. Guest

    TCS Guest

    On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 23:44:28 -0400, <> wrote:
    >On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 17:16:08 -0400, Cernovog <>
    >wrote:


    >>On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 15:15:25 -0400, Justin wrote
    >>(in message <2go.com>):
    >>
    >>> So, instead of buying, you steal. And the person that calls you on
    >>> it is a troll?

    >>
    >>He called me a troll in a newsgroup I'm a regular poster in. To top it off,
    >>I'd never seen him in that newsgroup before. I don't think he knows what that
    >>word means.


    >Then at least learn to post properly by quoting the previous post.
    > Who are you talking about? I am involved in this thread and I dont
    >know. I have been posting here for years.
    >A troll includes people like cernodog and the anal screwtinizer. Both


    oo! You've mastered the taunting style of a five year old.
    pathetic. just pathetic.

    Why don't you go back to shoplifting DVDs? If you get caught, at least you'll
    quit boring the world with your moronic whining.




    >post bullshit just to get a response. No one gives a **** about your
    >opinions.
    TCS, Apr 26, 2004
    #16
  17. Well, lets put it this way:

    One of the special features would have to be Kirstin Dunst jumping off
    the screen and sitting on my face before I'd consider buying it again
    (even though I like the movie).

    Mike
    > >

    > At least they are being UPFRONT about it and releasing them at the
    > same time rather than waiting 6 months after you already bought one
    > version. Spider-man SE is coming out in a few months and I have to
    > wonder how 'special" its going to have to be to pry another $20 out of
    > my wallet.
    Michael Rogers, Apr 26, 2004
    #17
  18. Guest

    Guest

    On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 23:47:25 -0500, TCS
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 23:44:28 -0400, <> wrote:
    >>On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 17:16:08 -0400, Cernovog <>
    >>wrote:

    >
    >>>On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 15:15:25 -0400, Justin wrote
    >>>(in message <2go.com>):
    >>>
    >>>> So, instead of buying, you steal. And the person that calls you on
    >>>> it is a troll?
    >>>
    >>>He called me a troll in a newsgroup I'm a regular poster in. To top it off,
    >>>I'd never seen him in that newsgroup before. I don't think he knows what that
    >>>word means.

    >
    >>Then at least learn to post properly by quoting the previous post.
    >> Who are you talking about? I am involved in this thread and I dont
    >>know. I have been posting here for years.
    >>A troll includes people like cernodog and the anal screwtinizer. Both

    >
    >oo! You've mastered the taunting style of a five year old.
    >pathetic. just pathetic.
    >
    >Why don't you go back to shoplifting DVDs? If you get caught, at least you'll
    >quit boring the world with your moronic whining.
    >
    >
    >
    >

    Look up the word taunting ya dumb shit.

    And it mostly fags with the !!! In their post.
    Stop replying to me ya homo.
    , Apr 26, 2004
    #18
  19. Guest

    Shadowspawn Guest

    I might go as high as $49 for that feature :)

    On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 04:48:37 GMT, Michael Rogers
    <> wrote:

    >Well, lets put it this way:
    >
    >One of the special features would have to be Kirstin Dunst jumping off
    >the screen and sitting on my face before I'd consider buying it again
    >(even though I like the movie).
    >
    >Mike
    >> >

    >> At least they are being UPFRONT about it and releasing them at the
    >> same time rather than waiting 6 months after you already bought one
    >> version. Spider-man SE is coming out in a few months and I have to
    >> wonder how 'special" its going to have to be to pry another $20 out of
    >> my wallet.
    Shadowspawn, Apr 26, 2004
    #19
  20. Guest

    Guest

    On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 14:22:44 -0400, wrote:

    >Usually from netflix I dont really care about disc extras.


    IMO you are missing the best part of the DVD experience. In fact I
    have been known to not even bother with a marginal film if the disc
    does not contain any extras in particular cast and or director/
    producer commentary. For example the Jodie Foster movie, Panic, while
    directed by one of my favorites, David Fincher, only received a luke
    warm reception when the bare bones DVD edition came out ( a three disc
    version is out now ) I never even bothered with it.
    , Apr 26, 2004
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Carsten Schaudel

    Special features in IPPlus feature package

    Carsten Schaudel, Jul 31, 2004, in forum: Cisco
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    479
    Phillip Remaker
    Aug 1, 2004
  2. Just Wondering

    DVD -access special features

    Just Wondering, Apr 30, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    13
    Views:
    3,325
    Just Wondering
    May 3, 2004
  3. Death from Above

    Special Report: How special are you?

    Death from Above, Mar 19, 2007, in forum: MCSE
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    459
    Kline Sphere
    Mar 19, 2007
  4. Bret

    MS wants you pissed :)

    Bret, Dec 6, 2003, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    372
  5. Giuen
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    549
    Giuen
    Sep 12, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page