  1. It's disgustinig the way people lie or just forget to tell the whole
    truth about what they're selling - taking advantage of people who
    don't really know a lot about the things they are buying.
    Canon Paora Tikitiki, Jun 24, 2005

  2. Canon Paora Tikitiki

    Richard Guest

    Canon Paora Tikitiki wrote:
    > It's disgustinig the way people lie or just forget to tell the whole
    > truth about what they're selling - taking advantage of people who
    > don't really know a lot about the things they are buying.

    Nope, put details of the product up warts and all, and then let people bid what
    they want. If 2 people want it and are prepaired to pay too much, that only
    benifits the seller.
    Richard, Jun 24, 2005

  3. Canon Paora Tikitiki

    Phstpok Guest

    Canon Paora Tikitiki wrote:
    > It's disgustinig the way people lie or just forget to tell the whole
    > truth about what they're selling - taking advantage of people who
    > don't really know a lot about the things they are buying.

    That is why they have feedback. Check the seller's feedback first b4
    buying.

    Even then it is still a matter of buyer beware.

    Rob
    Phstpok, Jun 24, 2005
  4. Canon Paora Tikitiki

    thing Guest

    Phstpok wrote:
    > Canon Paora Tikitiki wrote:
    >
    >> It's disgustinig the way people lie or just forget to tell the whole
    >> truth about what they're selling - taking advantage of people who
    >> don't really know a lot about the things they are buying.

    > That is why they have feedback. Check the seller's feedback first b4
    > buying.
    >
    > Even then it is still a matter of buyer beware.
    >
    > Rob

    And a retail shop is any different? they often will sell you anything
    anyway.......

    Trademe is an auction after all so its buyer beware and to an extent it
    is up to you to ask Qs.

    Going into an auction should mean you are aware it is an auction, be
    careful and bid to an according level. eg I dont normally go above
    50~60% of the new retail cost, and only that high if its near new. ie a
    10 year old kayak is 50%+ used up so not worth 60% of a new one....its
    worth 30~40% of a new one. Especially as this time of year vendors are
    offering 20+% off the so called retail price anyway.

    If the item is not as advertised though or obviously damaged with no
    mention, I email to complain and seek a refund/explanation. Give the
    seller a chance, many missed things or want to protect their feedback.

    If its not forthcoming you can give poor/bad feedback, I do.

    regards

    Thing
    thing, Jun 24, 2005
  5. thing wrote:

    > Going into an auction should mean you are aware it is an auction, be
    > careful and bid to an according level. eg I dont normally go above
    > 50~60% of the new retail cost, and only that high if its near new.

    I go right up to two thirds of the new price, and this isn't good enough
    for the majority of sellers I've dealt with this year. I tell them in
    the Q&A what I'll pay if I'm the last one (around two thirds) and they
    always come back with a higher offer (which I refuse).

    I love getting to see the things turn up again, especially then they
    resign themselves to the fact that they're not even get as much as your
    original offer. The best "up yours" I ever got over a seller was when I
    knowingly bid against an obvious shill bidder (I'm embarrased about
    this, but I really wanted the item). I got right up to two thirds, and
    they just couldn't help themselves, they bid higher and won.
    I'm a Trampoline, Jun 24, 2005
  6. Canon Paora Tikitiki

    thing Guest

    I'm a Trampoline wrote:
    > thing wrote:
    >

    >> Going into an auction should mean you are aware it is an auction, be
    >> careful and bid to an according level. eg I dont normally go above
    >> 50~60% of the new retail cost, and only that high if its near new.

    > I go right up to two thirds of the new price, and this isn't good enough
    > for the majority of sellers I've dealt with this year. I tell them in
    > the Q&A what I'll pay if I'm the last one (around two thirds) and they
    > always come back with a higher offer (which I refuse).

    yeah...me too.....

    > I love getting to see the things turn up again, especially then they
    > resign themselves to the fact that they're not even get as much as your
    > original offer. The best "up yours" I ever got over a seller was when I
    > knowingly bid against an obvious shill bidder (I'm embarrased about
    > this, but I really wanted the item). I got right up to two thirds, and
    > they just couldn't help themselves, they bid higher and won.

    I dont think Ive been shilled on trademe, I have on ebay though, silly
    buggers made it so obvious....I bid on 4 (or 6) scsi drives at $50 US
    autobid, so one bid crept up to $50.05 so I lost it. The others shortly
    afterwards all crept up to $49.95 and stopped so I "won". Yet I was the
    only bidder, with all the 49.95s and the one 50.05 as the other one
    brand new bidder....So I reported it to ebay, they said nothing
    wrong...yeah right....I walked away....

    I do suspect that there is some shill'ing going on though, its just
    subtle enough to not be that sure, trick is to set yourself what its
    worth and walk away.

    I often see things re-posted after I have declined the fixed offer, I
    bid again to what I want to pay and stop...Ive ended up the top or only
    bidder on the same item quite a few times......and rejected the offer
    every time...

    regards

    Thing
    thing, Jun 24, 2005
  7. Richard <> wrote:

    >Do that a few times on mine and get blacklisted ;)

    Your loss, then.
    Steve Marshall, Jun 24, 2005
  8. Canon Paora Tikitiki

    ~misfit~ Guest

    thing wrote:

    > I often see things re-posted after I have declined the fixed offer, I
    > bid again to what I want to pay and stop...Ive ended up the top or
    > only bidder on the same item quite a few times......and rejected the
    > offer every time...

    Same here. Some people don't seem to get the message that you aren't willing
    to pay what they're offering it for and you're giving them a more realistic
    option. They must have far more time than I have, to keep re-listing for the
    sake of a few bucks.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Jun 24, 2005
  9. Canon Paora Tikitiki

    Allistar Guest

    Canon Paora Tikitiki wrote:

    > It's disgustinig the way people lie or just forget to tell the whole
    > truth about what they're selling - taking advantage of people who
    > don't really know a lot about the things they are buying.

    Equally annoying is when you run a "buyer pickup" auction, only to find the
    person with the winner bid lives on the other side of the country. "I'll
    pay for the postage" doesn't cut it. I made it buyer pick up because I
    can't be shagged posting it, whether I get paid for the postage or not.

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Jun 24, 2005
  10. On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 03:38:02 GMT, (Canon Paora
    Tikitiki) wrote:

    >It's disgustinig the way people lie or just forget to tell the whole
    >truth about what they're selling - taking advantage of people who
    >don't really know a lot about the things they are buying.

    Q. How old is your DVD player?
    A. About 2 years old.
    Truth. Not less than 5 years

    Q. Is your DSE recorder a rebranded Mustek?
    A. No it's a DSE
    Truth. It's a DSE rebranded Mustek - a worse than bad one.
    Canon Paora Tikitiki, Jun 24, 2005
  11. Canon Paora Tikitiki wrote:
    > On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 03:38:02 GMT, (Canon Paora
    > Tikitiki) wrote:
    >

    >>It's disgustinig the way people lie or just forget to tell the whole
    >>truth about what they're selling - taking advantage of people who
    >>don't really know a lot about the things they are buying.

    > Q. How old is your DVD player?
    > A. About 2 years old.
    > Truth. Not less than 5 years
    >
    > Q. Is your DSE recorder a rebranded Mustek?
    > A. No it's a DSE
    > Truth. It's a DSE rebranded Mustek - a worse than bad one.

    For pure laziness:

    Q. "Does this receiver have phono inputs? There'll be a button on the
    front that says Phono, and two holes on the back that also say Phono
    next to them."
    A. "I don't know, it has lots of buttons and holes on it."
    (I'm pretty sure it did BTW.)

    Q. "How tall is this?"
    A. "I don't know. It's about 10 inches I think."
    I'm a Trampoline, Jun 24, 2005
  12. I'm a Trampoline wrote:
    > Canon Paora Tikitiki wrote:
    >
    >> Q. How old is your DVD player?
    >> A. About 2 years old.
    >> Truth. Not less than 5 years
    >>
    >> Q. Is your DSE recorder a rebranded Mustek?
    >> A. No it's a DSE
    >> Truth. It's a DSE rebranded Mustek - a worse than bad one.

    > For pure laziness:
    >
    > Q. "Does this receiver have phono inputs? There'll be a button on the
    > front that says Phono, and two holes on the back that also say Phono
    > next to them."
    > A. "I don't know, it has lots of buttons and holes on it."
    > (I'm pretty sure it did BTW.)
    >
    > Q. "How tall is this?"
    > A. "I don't know. It's about 10 inches I think."

    Forgot my old favourite (which I'm sure most of you've seen):

    "I haven't plugged this in to see if it goes."

    Geez, do you think you can handle the huge task of putting it in into a
    box then?
    I'm a Trampoline, Jun 24, 2005
  13. On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 00:05:20 +1200, I'm a Trampoline
    <> wrote:

    >I'm a Trampoline wrote:
    >> Canon Paora Tikitiki wrote:
    >>
    >>> Q. How old is your DVD player?
    >>> A. About 2 years old.
    >>> Truth. Not less than 5 years
    >>>
    >>> Q. Is your DSE recorder a rebranded Mustek?
    >>> A. No it's a DSE
    >>> Truth. It's a DSE rebranded Mustek - a worse than bad one.

    >> For pure laziness:
    >>
    >> Q. "Does this receiver have phono inputs? There'll be a button on the
    >> front that says Phono, and two holes on the back that also say Phono
    >> next to them."
    >> A. "I don't know, it has lots of buttons and holes on it."
    >> (I'm pretty sure it did BTW.)
    >>
    >> Q. "How tall is this?"
    >> A. "I don't know. It's about 10 inches I think."

    >Forgot my old favourite (which I'm sure most of you've seen):
    >
    >"I haven't plugged this in to see if it goes."
    >
    >Geez, do you think you can handle the huge task of putting it in into a
    >box then?

    oh yes, that's one of my favourites. Nothing like letting people think
    your broken piece of crap actually works.
    Canon Paora Tikitiki, Jun 24, 2005
  14. Canon Paora Tikitiki

    Adam Guest

    On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 00:05:20 +1200, I'm a Trampoline wrote:

    >Forgot my old favourite (which I'm sure most of you've seen):
    >
    >"I haven't plugged this in to see if it goes."
    >
    >Geez, do you think you can handle the huge task of putting it in into a
    >box then?

    I saw that one, I think. Sadly, you missed the gems at the end ...

    Q. Could you [please] plug it in then?
    A. No - it's at the bottom of about 200 boxes in the garage.

    Q. But you pulled it out to take a photograph of it?
    A. That was a long time ago.

    Q. Whatever ....

    Adam.
    Adam, Jun 24, 2005
  15. Canon Paora Tikitiki

    John Guest

    On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 19:06:27 +1200, thing wrote:

    <snip>
    > I dont think Ive been shilled on trademe, I have on ebay though, silly
    > buggers made it so obvious...

    My experiences are the complete opposite from yours...I have purchased
    numerous items (mostly over $100) from eBay and as yet have never had
    a bad trade. However, I've had my fingers burnt a few time buying on
    TradeMe. Strangely, every bad trade has been from the South Island.
    I've reached the stage that if the person selling is from Dunedin I
    tend to pass.

    Regards,
    John.
    John, Jun 24, 2005
  16. Canon Paora Tikitiki

    thing Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > thing wrote:
    >
    >> I often see things re-posted after I have declined the fixed offer, I
    >> bid again to what I want to pay and stop...Ive ended up the top or
    >> only bidder on the same item quite a few times......and rejected the
    >> offer every time...

    > Do that a few times on mine and get blacklisted ;)

    I take this as :^)

    If not well, it is an auction. An auction opens the item to any highest
    bid ultimately it sets the market value.

    If I am the only bidder and Im 70~80% below what the seller thinks its
    worth and I am the only bidder in 3 auctions then its unlikely to be
    worth what the seller thinks...........

    A classic is a cement mixer for sale, opening bid on the clapped out
    unit was $500, no offers and a fixed offer was made at $950....

    Its way over price....more like $200........max

    Ditto some LGB G scale kit.......no way am I paying $600 for a $850 new
    unit....plus postage......

    regards

    Thing
    thing, Jun 24, 2005
  17. Canon Paora Tikitiki

    thing Guest

    John wrote:
    > On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 19:06:27 +1200, thing wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    >>I dont think Ive been shilled on trademe, I have on ebay though, silly
    >>buggers made it so obvious...

    > My experiences are the complete opposite from yours...I have purchased
    > numerous items (mostly over $100) from eBay and as yet have never had
    > a bad trade. However, I've had my fingers burnt a few time buying on
    > TradeMe. Strangely, every bad trade has been from the South Island.
    > I've reached the stage that if the person selling is from Dunedin I
    > tend to pass.
    >
    > Regards,
    > John.

    A friend of mine has had one bad trade, from a Seller in Lower Hutt, who
    took the money and disappeared.....it is only $20 but still.....

    regards

    Thing
    thing, Jun 24, 2005
  18. Canon Paora Tikitiki

    thing Guest

    Canon Paora Tikitiki wrote:
    > On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 03:38:02 GMT, (Canon Paora
    > Tikitiki) wrote:
    >

    >>It's disgustinig the way people lie or just forget to tell the whole
    >>truth about what they're selling - taking advantage of people who
    >>don't really know a lot about the things they are buying.

    > Q. How old is your DVD player?
    > A. About 2 years old.
    > Truth. Not less than 5 years
    >
    > Q. Is your DSE recorder a rebranded Mustek?
    > A. No it's a DSE
    > Truth. It's a DSE rebranded Mustek - a worse than bad one.

    Worse, its a DSE re-branded Mustek that's a repaired item, came with a
    30 day warrantee and is now going dodgy yet again....

    regards

    Thing
    thing, Jun 24, 2005
  19. Canon Paora Tikitiki

    thing Guest

    Adam wrote:
    > On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 00:05:20 +1200, I'm a Trampoline wrote:
    >

    >>Forgot my old favourite (which I'm sure most of you've seen):
    >>
    >>"I haven't plugged this in to see if it goes."
    >>
    >>Geez, do you think you can handle the huge task of putting it in into a
    >>box then?

    > I saw that one, I think. Sadly, you missed the gems at the end ...
    >
    > Q. Could you [please] plug it in then?
    > A. No - it's at the bottom of about 200 boxes in the garage.
    >
    > Q. But you pulled it out to take a photograph of it?
    > A. That was a long time ago.
    >
    > Q. Whatever ....
    >

    > Adam.

    That reply would get someone on my blacklist asap........

    regards

    Thing
    thing, Jun 24, 2005
  20. Canon Paora Tikitiki

    Richard Guest

    thing wrote:

    >> Do that a few times on mine and get blacklisted ;)

    > I take this as :^)

    Not really, its a lot easier then keeping track of who not to offer it to in future.

    I have a value below which I would rather keep the items incase I decide to use
    them again one day. For things that I clearly wont use again (like the cd
    changer and minidisc gear or else old pentium 2 PC stuff) I will keep lowering
    and lowering till it sells, but for a reciever or something that will be usefull
    in the future possibly, I would rather hang onto it. If someone declines my
    offer 2 times, then they will most likly not accept it on the 3rd or 4th go, so
    it saves both peoples time if they cant get offers on it.
    Richard, Jun 24, 2005