Are Windows 2003 X64 bit resource kit tools available or supported?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Guest, Mar 30, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Guest, Mar 30, 2006

  2. I don't believe there are any x64 specific RK tools, but most, if not all,
    of the standard 32-bit ones should work fine, running in WOW64. If there's
    any specific one you're interested in, just ask and one of us should be able
    to tell you if it works.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64
    <> wrote in message

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Mar 30, 2006

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hello,

    I cant' really ask for a specific tool right now. I'm migrating a companies
    DC, DNS, WINS, DHCP ... services from Windows 2000 to X64 Windows 2003 R2
    dedicated machines ("longhorn upgrade" /proof/ready and they should server
    then 6 years like the current ones did). The network manager asked me today
    to deploy the resource kit on all those machines so I was looking for
    confimation that would cause no harm ... I guess not but then some of the
    tools might go deep into the depths of soms code and perhaps that could
    cause troubles.

    Thx for your speedy reply.

    Guest, Mar 30, 2006
  4. None of the tools require system level drivers that I'm aware of, so they
    should work in WOW64.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Mar 31, 2006
  5. Hello,
    Correct again. <G>
    There is no specific X64 resource kit. Most tools should work.
    Report back if tools do not work. We may want to build a list of tools
    that work and do not work with X64.
    I see that asked from time to time.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: "Charlie Russel - MVP" <>
    <Subject: Re: Are Windows 2003 X64 bit resource kit tools available or
    supported?
    <Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 22:09:00 -0800
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
    <None of the tools require system level drivers that I'm aware of, so they
    <should work in WOW64.
    <
    <--
    <Charlie.
    <http://msmvps.com/xperts64
    <
    < wrote:
    <> Hello,
    <>
    <> I cant' really ask for a specific tool right now. I'm migrating a
    <> companies DC, DNS, WINS, DHCP ... services from Windows 2000 to X64
    <> Windows 2003 R2 dedicated machines ("longhorn upgrade" /proof/ready and
    <> they should server then 6 years like the current ones did). The network
    <> manager asked me today to deploy the resource kit on all those machines
    <> so I was looking for confimation that would cause no harm ... I guess not
    <> but then some of the tools might go deep into the depths of soms code and
    <> perhaps that could cause troubles.
    <>
    <> Thx for your speedy reply.
    <>
    <>
    <> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote in message
    <> news:...
    <>> I don't believe there are any x64 specific RK tools, but most, if not
    <>> all, of the standard 32-bit ones should work fine, running in WOW64. If
    <>> there's any specific one you're interested in, just ask and one of us
    <>> should be able to tell you if it works.
    <>>
    <>> --
    <>> Charlie.
    <>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
    <>> <> wrote in message
    <>> news:%...
    <
    <
    <

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Apr 1, 2006
  6. Yes, that would be a useful list to build, I suspect. But I can't think of
    one that doesn't work, though I'm without an x64 Server environment right
    now since my x64 server died. I'm down to only the SBS server on the
    network, and lots of XP x64 boxes. ;)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64