Are Video Frame Grabs Finally Fit To Print?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by jc, Jul 1, 2006.

  1. jc

    jc Guest

    jc, Jul 1, 2006

  2. jc

    Guest

    jc wrote:

    > Are Video Frame Grabs Finally Fit To Print? Is this the future of
    > photojournalism? A small but passionate group of photographers are
    > convinced it is.
    >
    > Interesting article:
    > http://perso.wanadoo.es/photo50/en_articles/en_z0013.htm

    The server is overloaded and the page can't be viewed.
    Anyway, without the article to reference I do have some opinions on
    using video frame grabs as stills.
    If you are using a PAL video as your source, then you are limited to
    and image that has a maximum of 520 vertical lines, and if it is
    divided into square pixels, 694 horizontal pixels.
    A 520 x 694 pixel image looks passable as a webpage graphic, but if you
    want to print it out, then it will look seriously degraded printed any
    larger than about 2.5" x 3.5" (which is at 200 ppi), despite all the
    tricks in the Photoshop book to interpolate to a larger size and
    sharpen it.

    , Jul 2, 2006