    access torrent sites - ClearNet & Paradise, to name two.
    Is anyone else having similar problemz?
    TIA

    WiZArD, Dec 15, 2005

  2. WiZArD

    EMB Guest

    WiZArD wrote:
    > A few of us on different ISPz appear to being blocked when we try to
    > access torrent sites - ClearNet & Paradise, to name two.
    > Is anyone else having similar problemz?
    > TIA

    This has been done to death here of late. Have a decent look in google
    groups.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Dec 15, 2005

  3. WiZArD

    -=rjh=- Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > WiZArD wrote:
    >
    >> A few of us on different ISPz appear to being blocked when we try to
    >> access torrent sites - ClearNet & Paradise, to name two.
    >> Is anyone else having similar problemz?
    >> TIA

    > This has been done to death here of late. Have a decent look in google
    > groups.

    I don't think so.

    The OP is talking about accessing torrent sites (or directories) *not*
    referring to bandwidth/shaping issues related to downloading torrents
    themselves.

    To the OP, with Orcon, I haven't seen any such blocking of torrent
    sites, although I don't use a wide range of these. Any in particular
    sites you want others to check? It would be helpful if you were more
    specific.

    -=rjh=-, Dec 15, 2005
  4. WiZArD

    WiZArD Guest

    On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 08:34:26 +1300, -=rjh=- <> wrote:

    >EMB wrote:
    >> WiZArD wrote:
    >>
    >>> A few of us on different ISPz appear to being blocked when we try to
    >>> access torrent sites - ClearNet & Paradise, to name two.
    >>> Is anyone else having similar problemz?
    >>> TIA

    >> This has been done to death here of late. Have a decent look in google
    >> groups.
    >>

    >I don't think so.
    >
    >The OP is talking about accessing torrent sites (or directories) *not*
    >referring to bandwidth/shaping issues related to downloading torrents
    >themselves.
    >
    >To the OP, with Orcon, I haven't seen any such blocking of torrent
    >sites, although I don't use a wide range of these. Any in particular
    >sites you want others to check? It would be helpful if you were more
    >specific.

    Shots of George Bush that will have you rolling on the floor with
    laughter:

    http://thepiratebay.org/details.php?id=3419870

    http://tracker.prq.to/announce
    Connecting Tracker to say Start, waiting for response

    I note that this site appears not to have been update since 12 DEC 05.
    Could it have anyhing to do with this:

    http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/NL/A22767BB4F847B10CC2570D7007B5DF5

    Theresa 's Christmas gift to NZ? TIA
    WiZaRd

    WiZArD, Dec 15, 2005
  5. WiZArD

    David Guest

    WiZArD wrote:
    > On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 08:34:26 +1300, -=rjh=- <> wrote:
    >

    >>EMB wrote:

    >>>This has been done to death here of late. Have a decent look in google
    >>>groups.
    >>>

    >>I don't think so.
    >>
    >>The OP is talking about accessing torrent sites (or directories) *not*
    >>referring to bandwidth/shaping issues related to downloading torrents
    >>themselves.
    >>
    >>To the OP, with Orcon, I haven't seen any such blocking of torrent
    >>sites, although I don't use a wide range of these. Any in particular
    >>sites you want others to check? It would be helpful if you were more
    >>specific.

    > Shots of George Bush that will have you rolling on the floor with
    > laughter:
    >
    > http://thepiratebay.org/details.php?id=3419870
    >
    > http://tracker.prq.to/announce
    > Connecting Tracker to say Start, waiting for response
    >
    > I note that this site appears not to have been update since 12 DEC 05.
    > Could it have anyhing to do with this:
    >
    > http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/NL/A22767BB4F847B10CC2570D7007B5DF5
    >
    > Theresa 's Christmas gift to NZ? TIA
    > WiZaRd

    That site is often overloaded, especially its announce. In fact my
    client hardly ever manages to connect to it, but it only has to succeed
    once to get a peerlist. Leave it going for a while, and use a client
    with DHT, this way you dont need the tracker working to download it.

    David, Dec 15, 2005
  6. WiZArD

    ~misfit~ Guest

    WiZArD wrote:
    > http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/NL/A22767BB4F847B10CC2570D7007B5DF5

    "Seeby Woodhouse, managing director of Orcon which pioneered UBS resale in
    New Zealand, says his ISP was hit by a "six-figure increase" which cannot be
    passed onto customers. However, Woodhouse isn't concerned as he is confident
    Telecom will ease the billing pain for Orcon."

    Nah, that doesn't sound like a 'special arrangement' with Telecom. Not at
    all, far from it in fact.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Dec 15, 2005
  7. WiZArD

    steve Guest

    WiZArD wrote:
    > A few of us on different ISPz appear to being blocked when we try to
    > access torrent sites - ClearNet & Paradise, to name two.
    > Is anyone else having similar problemz?
    > TIA

    No problem on Orcon.

    Downloaded some Linux ISOs via Bittorent very nicely.

    steve, Dec 15, 2005
  8. WiZArD

    -=rjh=- Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > WiZArD wrote:
    >
    >>http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/NL/A22767BB4F847B10CC2570D7007B5DF5

    > "Seeby Woodhouse, managing director of Orcon which pioneered UBS resale in
    > New Zealand, says his ISP was hit by a "six-figure increase" which cannot be
    > passed onto customers. However, Woodhouse isn't concerned as he is confident
    > Telecom will ease the billing pain for Orcon."
    >
    > Nah, that doesn't sound like a 'special arrangement' with Telecom. Not at
    > all, far from it in fact.

    Oh, come on - be fair. You didn't quote the previous paragraph:

    "Dyhrberg says the one-off bill change won't create a cashflow issue for
    most ISPs. If any ISP experiences a problem, Dyhrberg says they will
    work through the issue."

    or a later paragraph:

    "Herkt, who is also the Telecom Operational Support Working Group leader
    for the Internet Service Provider Association of NZ (ISPANZ) industry
    association, says he has received a fair amount of complaints from
    members over the billing changes. He is encouraging ISPs to approach
    Telecom for relief saying that Maxnet will also ask for leniency on
    payment terms for the increase bills."

    Also of interest, is what appears to be normal business practice in this
    arena:

    "some saying they were not notified of the bumper bills by their account
    managers."

    "billing changes were announced by Telecom during its broadband roadshow
    "some months ago", Dyhrberg says"

    "Telecom's Wholesale Informer newsbulletin also spoke of the billing
    update in October and warned that ISPs could expect 1.2 to 1.4 times
    large bills than normal. However, some providers say they didn't receive
    a copy of it. Maxnet's managing director Brett Herkt says the provider
    never got the Wholesale Informer"

    "Telecom wrote the Wholesale Informer, Diprose says, but didn't send it
    out to providers until after it had made the changes and the large bills
    had gone out"

    Frankly, I'm just amazed that something as important as changing the
    billing cycle wasn't dealt with formally, on a one-to-one basis, with a
    letter to each individual ISP. I mean - how many ISPs does NZ have? What
    are Telecom's account managers actually paid to do? (Apart from hand out
    iPods at Christmas).

    Maybe the media reporting has deliberately missed out the fact that
    Telecom sent a letter to each ISP, but given the other vague statements
    attributed to Telecom, I doubt that is the case.

    If this is indicative of how telecoms is run in NZ, no wonder it is such
    a mess.

    Even banks and power companies do better than this.

    -=rjh=-, Dec 15, 2005
  9. WiZArD

    Kazonme Guest

    On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 06:51:14 +1300, WiZArD <> wrote:

    >A few of us on different ISPz appear to being blocked when we try to
    >access torrent sites - ClearNet & Paradise, to name two.
    >Is anyone else having similar problemz?
    >TIA

    Nz is the only country shaping P2P..?

    Kazonme, Dec 16, 2005