Are these stereotypical dvd players?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by JethroUK©, Sep 3, 2003.

  1. JethroUK©

    JethroUK© Guest

    bought Philips DVD755VR (DVD/VCR combi)

    tried it with 3 discs (incl brand new LOTR2) - in all cases it misfired
    slightly (back 1 frame), but frequently (about every 5 mins ish - it was
    pretty random (replaying same section it didn't skip) - which suggest it was
    the player and not the disc - apart from that the machine performed very
    well and it was bristling with nice features (incl no macrovision) - wish
    i'd kept it in view of the following

    took it back & bought a Philips 625 (Ok so i like Philips tackle) - same
    thing exactly, couldn't believe it

    took it back - bought Samsung E234

    1st disc in was 'The Rock' - within 10 minutes the player hung on a frame
    for about 1 whole second before it decided to continue - replaying, it hung
    on the same frame each time - but it plays fine on my sons 2000 year old,
    2nd hand wharfdale (i think he swapped it for a rather large stone :eek:)

    secondly the Samsung has a red hue band (about 1/2" deep) running along the
    top of the screen (visible on any disc) - never gave it chance to play a
    whole film, it's back in da box

    maybe these are all 'acceptable' (not to me it's going back), but i remember
    when the 1st (single-laser) CD players used to shit about like this, before
    they introduced triple lasers

    have i just been unlucky or am i too fussy? (i do expect broadcast quality)

    will i have to spend more money to get a dvd player that can actually ' play
    dvd's ' :eek:)
    JethroUK©, Sep 3, 2003

  2. JethroUK©

    synaptyx Guest

    JethroUK© wrote:
    > bought Philips DVD755VR (DVD/VCR combi)
    >
    > tried it with 3 discs (incl brand new LOTR2) - in all cases it
    > misfired slightly (back 1 frame), but frequently (about every 5 mins
    > ish

    > took it back & bought a Philips 625 (Ok so i like Philips tackle) -
    > same thing exactly

    > took it back - bought Samsung E234
    >
    > 1st disc in was 'The Rock' - within 10 minutes the player hung on a
    > frame for about 1 whole second before it decided to continue

    > will i have to spend more money to get a dvd player that can actually
    > ' play dvd's ' :eek:)

    I've seen a few philips players and have never been impressed by them.
    Absolute tat tbh. I know there are a few Sammy fans here, but in general
    they're cheap as chips. You certainly do get what you pay for with Samsung.
    On the other hand my Toshiba SD520E was about £120 new. Hardly broke the
    bank and hasn't refused to play anything bar one duff Farscape disc. I've
    got one of those cheap cyberhome things from WH Smiths for the bedroom. My
    Dad bought 2 of them ant they and it kick the arse off his £300 Hitachi.
    Should have seen the look on his face. LOL!

    Syn :)
    synaptyx, Sep 3, 2003

  3. The Philips model you mentioned seems very cheap for a dvd/vcr.............

    This link is selling them at £99 !

    http://www.marshallward.co.uk/mward/product.asp?brand=mward&cat_id=2430&zo
    ne%5Fid=&prod%5Fid=184713&seq=6&page=&OrderBy=&offer%5Fid=&source%5Fcode=&pu
    blication%5Fcode=&leaflet=&extra=&mscs_sid=ABRCBXC9WFLS8K5BHSAH1118T11X5K3A

    Perhaps you get what you pay for !

    Dave

    david mowbray, Sep 3, 2003
  4. JethroUK©

    synaptyx Guest

    synaptyx wrote:
    > JethroUK© wrote:
    >> bought Philips DVD755VR (DVD/VCR combi)
    >>
    >> tried it with 3 discs (incl brand new LOTR2) - in all cases it
    >> misfired slightly (back 1 frame), but frequently (about every 5 mins
    >> ish

    >> took it back & bought a Philips 625 (Ok so i like Philips tackle) -
    >> same thing exactly

    >> took it back - bought Samsung E234
    >>
    >> 1st disc in was 'The Rock' - within 10 minutes the player hung on a
    >> frame for about 1 whole second before it decided to continue

    >> will i have to spend more money to get a dvd player that can actually
    >> ' play dvd's ' :eek:)

    > I've seen a few philips players and have never been impressed by them.
    > Absolute tat tbh. I know there are a few Sammy fans here, but in
    > general they're cheap as chips. You certainly do get what you pay for
    > with Samsung. On the other hand my Toshiba SD520E was about £120 new.
    > Hardly broke the bank and hasn't refused to play anything bar one
    > duff Farscape disc. I've got one of those cheap cyberhome things from
    > WH Smiths for the bedroom. My Dad bought 2 of them ant they and it
    > kick the arse off his £300 Hitachi. Should have seen the look on his
    > face. LOL!
    >
    > Syn :)

    Christ, I should learn to edit my posts better. LOL! ;o)
    synaptyx, Sep 3, 2003
  5. JethroUK© wrote:

    > bought Philips DVD755VR (DVD/VCR combi)
    >
    > tried it with 3 discs (incl brand new LOTR2) - in all cases it misfired
    > slightly (back 1 frame), but frequently (about every 5 mins ish - it was
    > pretty random (replaying same section it didn't skip) - which suggest it was
    > the player and not the disc - apart from that the machine performed very
    > well and it was bristling with nice features (incl no macrovision) - wish
    > i'd kept it in view of the following

    even though I suspect you of being an under-bridge resident I'll give it
    a go...

    I've never seen this "1 frame behaviour" with any machine, Philips or
    otherwise. Is there a chance that some external interfernce could be
    casuing this? Bad mains etc?

    > took it back & bought a Philips 625 (Ok so i like Philips tackle) - same
    > thing exactly, couldn't believe it

    same disc? same places?

    > took it back - bought Samsung E234
    >
    > 1st disc in was 'The Rock' - within 10 minutes the player hung on a frame
    > for about 1 whole second before it decided to continue - replaying, it hung
    > on the same frame each time - but it plays fine on my sons 2000 year old,
    > 2nd hand wharfdale (i think he swapped it for a rather large stone :eek:)

    hmm sounds like you saw the layer change - time to go off and do a bit
    of googling if they have it under that suspension bridge of yours

    > secondly the Samsung has a red hue band (about 1/2" deep) running along the
    > top of the screen (visible on any disc) - never gave it chance to play a
    > whole film, it's back in da box

    sounds broke

    > maybe these are all 'acceptable' (not to me it's going back), but i remember
    > when the 1st (single-laser) CD players used to shit about like this, before
    > they introduced triple lasers
    >
    > have i just been unlucky or am i too fussy? (i do expect broadcast quality)

    I reckon you've either been unlucky, or you want to spend a few quid
    more. Expecting broadcast quality from a £75 player is a bit much (in my
    opinion). Mind you , the Tosh 330 is raved about here - a friend has
    just got one and it seems wonderful value

    > will i have to spend more money to get a dvd player that can actually ' play
    > dvd's ' :eek:)

    I wouldn't spend less than £150 - £175 on a brand new mid range model -
    but hat's just me. My first DVD player cost me £749!!

    Patrick
    Patrick Navin, Sep 3, 2003
  6. JethroUK©

    JethroUK© Guest

    i'm having one before they notice their mistake :eek:) i paid £200 (proper
    price) - for £99 i'll put up with the hiccups - apart from that it was
    bloody good

    JethroUK©, Sep 3, 2003
  7. JethroUK©

    JethroUK© Guest

    "Patrick Navin" <> wrote in message
    > JethroUK© wrote:
    >
    > > bought Philips DVD755VR (DVD/VCR combi)
    > >
    > > tried it with 3 discs (incl brand new LOTR2) - in all cases it misfired
    > > slightly (back 1 frame), but frequently (about every 5 mins ish - it was
    > > pretty random (replaying same section it didn't skip) - which suggest it

    was
    > > the player and not the disc - apart from that the machine performed very
    > > well and it was bristling with nice features (incl no macrovision) -

    wish
    > > i'd kept it in view of the following

    > even though I suspect you of being an under-bridge resident I'll give it
    > a go...
    >
    > I've never seen this "1 frame behaviour" with any machine, Philips or
    > otherwise. Is there a chance that some external interfernce could be
    > casuing this? Bad mains etc?

    could be - it's like jodral bank behind my T.V. and i didn't insulate (but
    supplied scart lead was about 1" thick :eek:)

    i have heard since that philips dvd's do suffer from this (another guy had
    2 different models like me and sent them back)

    > > took it back & bought a Philips 625 (Ok so i like Philips tackle) - same
    > > thing exactly, couldn't believe it

    > same disc? same places?

    no, it was a pretty random attack of the hiccups

    > > took it back - bought Samsung E234
    > >
    > > 1st disc in was 'The Rock' - within 10 minutes the player hung on a

    frame
    > > for about 1 whole second before it decided to continue - replaying, it

    hung
    > > on the same frame each time - but it plays fine on my sons 2000 year

    old,
    > > 2nd hand wharfdale (i think he swapped it for a rather large stone :eek:)

    > hmm sounds like you saw the layer change - time to go off and do a bit
    > of googling if they have it under that suspension bridge of yours

    i've heard of layer changes - dont know what they are, but i dont expect to
    witness them

    > > secondly the Samsung has a red hue band (about 1/2" deep) running along

    the
    > > top of the screen (visible on any disc) - never gave it chance to play a
    > > whole film, it's back in da box
    > >

    > sounds broke

    that's what i thought - but 3 in a row now

    > > maybe these are all 'acceptable' (not to me it's going back), but i

    remember
    > > when the 1st (single-laser) CD players used to shit about like this,

    before
    > > they introduced triple lasers
    > >
    > > have i just been unlucky or am i too fussy? (i do expect broadcast

    quality)

    > I reckon you've either been unlucky, or you want to spend a few quid
    > more. Expecting broadcast quality from a £75 player is a bit much (in my
    > opinion). Mind you , the Tosh 330 is raved about here - a friend has
    > just got one and it seems wonderful value

    maybe i'll just keep looking & keep the 1st one that works :eek:)

    > > will i have to spend more money to get a dvd player that can actually '

    play
    > > dvd's ' :eek:)
    > >

    > I wouldn't spend less than £150 - £175 on a brand new mid range model -
    > but hat's just me. My first DVD player cost me £749!!

    my first Philips S-VHS VCR cost me £700 :eek:) i chucked it away when it
    stopped ejecting tapes - wish i'd fixed the bloody thing now - it was superb
    JethroUK©, Sep 3, 2003
  8. JethroUK© wrote:
    > "Patrick Navin" <> wrote in
    > message news:bj4u39$er1pe$-berlin.de...
    >> JethroUK© wrote:
    >>
    >>> bought Philips DVD755VR (DVD/VCR combi)
    >>>
    >>> tried it with 3 discs (incl brand new LOTR2) - in all cases it
    >>> misfired slightly (back 1 frame), but frequently (about every 5
    >>> mins ish - it was pretty random (replaying same section it didn't
    >>> skip) - which suggest it was the player and not the disc - apart
    >>> from that the machine performed very well and it was bristling with
    >>> nice features (incl no macrovision) - wish i'd kept it in view of
    >>> the following

    >> even though I suspect you of being an under-bridge resident I'll
    >> give it a go...
    >>
    >> I've never seen this "1 frame behaviour" with any machine, Philips or
    >> otherwise. Is there a chance that some external interfernce could be
    >> casuing this? Bad mains etc?
    >>

    > could be - it's like jodral bank behind my T.V. and i didn't insulate
    > (but supplied scart lead was about 1" thick :eek:)
    >
    > i have heard since that philips dvd's do suffer from this (another
    > guy had 2 different models like me and sent them back)

    There's nothing worse than settling down to watch a good film in decent
    quality only to have it ruined by your hardware. I'd suggest ditching the
    dodgy equipment (or getting to the root of the problem) and spending a bit
    more now to save yourself many frustrating evenings in the future. Ditching
    my Sammy 709 (after 2 weeks) and Scan2000 (same day) and going for a Sony,
    at twice the price, was one of my better decisions - still going strong
    today.
    Stephen \(aka steford\), Sep 3, 2003
  9. JethroUK©

    loz Guest

    "JethroUK©" <> wrote in message
    > bought Philips DVD755VR (DVD/VCR combi)
    >
    > tried it with 3 discs (incl brand new LOTR2) - in all cases it misfired
    > slightly (back 1 frame), but frequently (about every 5 mins ish - it was
    > pretty random (replaying same section it didn't skip) - which suggest it was
    > the player and not the disc - apart from that the machine performed very
    > well and it was bristling with nice features (incl no macrovision) - wish
    > i'd kept it in view of the following
    >
    > took it back & bought a Philips 625 (Ok so i like Philips tackle) - same
    > thing exactly, couldn't believe it

    Discs have been known to problems of course.

    I have had a couple of Philips DVD players without any problems. Never seen the
    problem you describe.

    > 1st disc in was 'The Rock' - within 10 minutes the player hung on a frame
    > for about 1 whole second before it decided to continue - replaying, it hung
    > on the same frame each time - but it plays fine on my sons 2000 year old,
    > 2nd hand wharfdale (i think he swapped it for a rather large stone :eek:)

    My philips DVD has a much more noticable layer change than a cheap Grundig one I
    had earlier.
    It is a bit annoying. But not the end of the world....

    Loz
    loz, Sep 3, 2003
  10. JethroUK©

    loz Guest

    "JethroUK©" <> wrote in message
    > i'm having one before they notice their mistake :eek:) i paid £200 (proper
    > price) - for £99 i'll put up with the hiccups - apart from that it was
    > bloody good
    >

    > > This link is selling them at £99 !

    Can it be made multi region in the normal philips way - via a special remote?

    Loz
    loz, Sep 3, 2003
  11. JethroUK©

    Bondee Guest

    "JethroUK©" <> wrote in message
    > > hmm sounds like you saw the layer change - time to go off and do a bit
    > > of googling if they have it under that suspension bridge of yours

    > i've heard of layer changes - dont know what they are, but i dont expect

    > witness them

    Everyone else does. Don't know why you should be any different.
    Bondee, Sep 3, 2003
  12. JethroUK©

    JethroUK© Guest

    "loz" <> wrote in message

    > "JethroUK©" <> wrote in message
    > > i'm having one before they notice their mistake :eek:) i paid £200 (proper
    > > price) - for £99 i'll put up with the hiccups - apart from that it was
    > > bloody good
    > >

    > > > This link is selling them at £99 !

    > Can it be made multi region in the normal philips way - via a special

    remote?

    no - i did try it - there must be a different route to multi-region - just
    got to wait till someone figures it :eek:)

    but it was very good & played all formats + flawless recordings on the VCR

    i think they'll change the price in the next couple days
    JethroUK©, Sep 3, 2003
  13. JethroUK©

    JethroUK© Guest

    "Bondee" <> wrote in message

    > "JethroUK©" <> wrote in message
    > > > hmm sounds like you saw the layer change - time to go off and do a bit
    > > > of googling if they have it under that suspension bridge of yours

    > > i've heard of layer changes - dont know what they are, but i dont expect

    > > witness them
    > >

    > Everyone else does. Don't know why you should be any different.

    maybe i [am] too fussy then - i expect broadcast quality and i dont think
    i'm asking for very much

    p.s. never saw no layer changes on either of the philips machines
    JethroUK©, Sep 3, 2003
  14. JethroUK©

    Phil Tate Guest

    JethroUK© wrote
    >bought Philips DVD755VR (DVD/VCR combi)

    Always a bad sign. Avoid any "combi" type gear - TV/video, TV/DVD player,
    VCR/DVD, etc. It's convenience over quality every time. I once had a Philips
    (I think) TV/satellite decoder combination. If the TV was switched on, there
    was horrific buzzing from the satellite receiver. If the TV was off, the
    buzzing disappeared (as you could tell by recording Sky with the TV off) -
    but you can see the flaw in this solution...

    >tried it with 3 discs (incl brand new LOTR2) - in all cases it misfired
    >slightly (back 1 frame), but frequently (about every 5 mins ish - it was
    >pretty random (replaying same section it didn't skip) - which suggest it

    was
    >the player and not the disc - apart from that the machine performed very
    >well

    Eh? Apart from not working at all it performed very well? No DVD player
    should behave like this.

    >took it back & bought a Philips 625 (Ok so i like Philips tackle)

    Flattery will get you nowhere.

    >have i just been unlucky or am i too fussy? (i do expect broadcast quality)

    If a DVD player doesn't play 99% of discs pretty much flawlessly and with
    stunning picture quality, there's something wrong. You do seem to have been
    very unlucky.

    Phil
    Phil Tate, Sep 3, 2003
  15. JethroUK©

    JethroUK© Guest

    "loz" <> wrote in message

    > "JethroUK©" <> wrote in message
    > > bought Philips DVD755VR (DVD/VCR combi)
    > >
    > > tried it with 3 discs (incl brand new LOTR2) - in all cases it misfired
    > > slightly (back 1 frame), but frequently (about every 5 mins ish - it was
    > > pretty random (replaying same section it didn't skip) - which suggest it

    was
    > > the player and not the disc - apart from that the machine performed very
    > > well and it was bristling with nice features (incl no macrovision) -

    wish
    > > i'd kept it in view of the following
    > >
    > > took it back & bought a Philips 625 (Ok so i like Philips tackle) - same
    > > thing exactly, couldn't believe it

    > Discs have been known to problems of course.
    >
    > I have had a couple of Philips DVD players without any problems. Never

    seen the
    > problem you describe.

    someone suggested i might not be insulated enough - which maybe true (got a
    1000 wires behind my tv)

    > > 1st disc in was 'The Rock' - within 10 minutes the player hung on a

    frame
    > > for about 1 whole second before it decided to continue - replaying, it

    hung
    > > on the same frame each time - but it plays fine on my sons 2000 year

    old,
    > > 2nd hand wharfdale (i think he swapped it for a rather large stone :eek:)

    > My philips DVD has a much more noticable layer change than a cheap Grundig

    one I
    > had earlier.
    > It is a bit annoying. But not the end of the world....

    dunno how many layers are on a disc, but i wouldn't accept a one second
    pause per film (it didn't happen at all on the philips models i mentioned)
    JethroUK©, Sep 3, 2003
  16. JethroUK©

    JethroUK© Guest

    "Phil Tate" <> wrote in message
    > JethroUK© wrote
    > >bought Philips DVD755VR (DVD/VCR combi)

    > Always a bad sign. Avoid any "combi" type gear - TV/video, TV/DVD player,
    > VCR/DVD, etc. It's convenience over quality every time.

    had these very thoughs before i bought it (even posted before i bought it) -
    but apart from the hiccup it was excellent in both the DVD and VCR
    department

    > >tried it with 3 discs (incl brand new LOTR2) - in all cases it misfired
    > >slightly (back 1 frame), but frequently (about every 5 mins ish - it was
    > >pretty random (replaying same section it didn't skip) - which suggest it

    > was
    > >the player and not the disc - apart from that the machine performed very
    > >well

    > Eh? Apart from not working at all it performed very well? No DVD player
    > should behave like this.

    i just meant if there [was] a solution (someone suggested better insulation)
    it was otherwise a bloody good machine with more features than the other 2
    put together (and they worked flawlessly)

    > >took it back & bought a Philips 625 (Ok so i like Philips tackle)

    > Flattery will get you nowhere.
    >
    > >have i just been unlucky or am i too fussy? (i do expect broadcast

    quality)

    > If a DVD player doesn't play 99% of discs pretty much flawlessly and with
    > stunning picture quality, there's something wrong.
    > You do seem to have been
    > very unlucky.

    looks like i'm due for one that works :eek:)
    JethroUK©, Sep 3, 2003
  17. JethroUK©

    Phil Tate Guest

    JethroUK© wrote
    >dunno how many layers are on a disc, but i wouldn't accept a one second
    >pause per film

    DVD is not for you then. Some films are all on one layer (often at the
    expense of picture quality), but most are on two.

    >(it didn't happen at all on the philips models i mentioned)

    It will have. You may not have noticed it - some discs have the film all on
    one layer, some put the layer change in a sensible position (a fade to
    black, or no movement on the screen), and some players handle it better than
    others, but it will have been there, honest.

    Phil
    Phil Tate, Sep 3, 2003
  18. JethroUK©

    Bondee Guest

    "Phil Tate" <> wrote in message
    > JethroUK© wrote

    <snip>
    > >took it back & bought a Philips 625 (Ok so i like Philips tackle)

    > Flattery will get you nowhere.

    LOL!
    Bondee, Sep 3, 2003
  19. JethroUK©

    JethroUK© Guest

    "Phil Tate" <> wrote in message
    > JethroUK© wrote
    > >dunno how many layers are on a disc, but i wouldn't accept a one second
    > >pause per film

    > DVD is not for you then. Some films are all on one layer (often at the
    > expense of picture quality), but most are on two.

    are the layer changes always in the same place? (regardless of the player)

    > >(it didn't happen at all on the philips models i mentioned)

    > It will have. You may not have noticed it

    to be honest i dont care if it teleports a turkish curd to peking solong as
    i dont notice :eek:) it's only the 'noticing' bothers me

    > - some discs have the film all on
    > one layer, some put the layer change in a sensible position (a fade to
    > black, or no movement on the screen), and some players handle it better

    than
    > others, but it will have been there, honest.

    now you mention it does say on the disc box - "layer transition may trigger
    a slight pause" - didn't notice a pause either of the philips (or on my sons
    wharfdale - which i've just replayed)

    i would've thought dvd players would use a buffer like a cd/minidisc player
    (maybe some do - dunno)
    JethroUK©, Sep 3, 2003
  20. JethroUK©

    Phil Tate Guest

    JethroUK© wrote
    >are the layer changes always in the same place? (regardless of the player)

    Yes.

    >i would've thought dvd players would use a buffer like a cd/minidisc player
    >(maybe some do - dunno)

    I've never understood why DVD player manufacturers haven't done this from
    the word go. It's barmy.

    If you watch movies on a PC's DVD drive you don't get layer change pauses,
    because they use the PC's RAM as a buffer.

    Phil
    Phil Tate, Sep 3, 2003