    File

    Thanks for any help!

    Stephanie
    Stephanie, Oct 4, 2003

  2. Stephanie

    Cubzilla Guest

    Its about time you got yer self a larger disk, Windows need at least 1/2 the
    size of you system Ram for page and swap space on your HDD ie 512Mb ram
    256Mb free space on your disk, otherwise it will run like a dead whippet

    Deleting log files dhould be ok , just copy them to floppy.

    Regards

    "Stephanie" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, I have only 100 MB of free space left on my hard drive, and I need to
    > find things to delete.
    >
    > Are these safe to delete?
    >
    > HTTPMail.log - C:\Windows\Application Data\Identities\[etc.] -

    1,319,645KB -

    Cubzilla, Oct 4, 2003

  3. Stephanie

    Stephanie Guest

    "Cubzilla" <> wrote in message
    > Its about time you got yer self a larger disk, Windows need at least 1/2

    the
    > size of you system Ram for page and swap space on your HDD ie 512Mb ram
    > 256Mb free space on your disk, otherwise it will run like a dead whippet
    >
    > Deleting log files dhould be ok , just copy them to floppy.

    hi, thanks Cubzilla! Can I just delete them instead, without copying to a
    floppy? The two files I listed in my original post are 250 MB and 1.3 GB
    big!

    S.
    Stephanie, Oct 4, 2003
  4. On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 20:57:54 GMT in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, my mind
    boggled at the following statement by Stephanie in message

    > Hi, I have only 100 MB of free space left on my hard drive, and I need
    > to find things to delete.
    >
    > Are these safe to delete?
    >
    > HTTPMail.log - C:\Windows\Application Data\Identities\[etc.] -
    > 1,319,645KB - LOG File
    >
    > Pop3.log - C:\Windows\Application Data\Identities\[etc.] - 250,796KB -
    > LOG File
    >

    > Thanks for any help!
    >
    > Stephanie

    They are safe to delete. As a matter of fact, unless you're trying to find a
    problem, you don't need those log files. Go to Tools>Options>Maintenance,
    under Troubleshooting, take the ticks out of the boxes.

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    No of SETI units returned: 2165
    The Old Sourdough, Oct 4, 2003
  5. On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 21:02:36 GMT in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, my mind
    boggled at the following statement by Cubzilla in message

    > Its about time you got yer self a larger disk, Windows need at least 1/2
    > the size of you system Ram for page and swap space on your HDD ie 512Mb
    > ram 256Mb free space on your disk, otherwise it will run like a dead
    > whippet
    >
    > Deleting log files dhould be ok , just copy them to floppy.
    >

    > Regards
    >

    > "Stephanie" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi, I have only 100 MB of free space left on my hard drive, and I need
    >> to find things to delete.
    >>
    >> Are these safe to delete?
    >>
    >> HTTPMail.log - C:\Windows\Application Data\Identities\[etc.] -

    > 1,319,645KB -
    >> LOG File
    >>
    >> Pop3.log - C:\Windows\Application Data\Identities\[etc.] - 250,796KB -
    >> LOG File
    >>

    >> Thanks for any help!
    >>
    >> Stephanie

    A 1,319,645 KB file to a floppy? Woohoo...Dat's one hell of a floppy.. :) I
    suppose you could use WinZip to span about, oh, lessee, maybe 1000 floppies
    or so?

    The Old Sourdough, Oct 4, 2003
  6. Stephanie

    Buffalo Guest

    "Cubzilla" <h> wrote in message
    > Its about time you got yer self a larger disk, Windows need at least 1/2

    the
    > size of you system Ram for page and swap space on your HDD ie 512Mb ram
    > 256Mb free space on your disk, otherwise it will run like a dead whippet
    >
    > Deleting log files dhould be ok , just copy them to floppy.

    I.3GB is a lot of floppies, and that is only for the first one she
    mentioned. :)

    Buffalo, Oct 4, 2003
  7. Stephanie

    °Mike° Guest

    Holy cow! Yes, delete them, and disable them from accumulating
    in the future. See "The Old Sourdough"'s advice on that.

    Also see my signature.

    On Sat, 4 Oct 2003 16:57:54 -0400, in
    <>
    Stephanie scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Oct 4, 2003
  8. Stephanie

    Robert Guest

    On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 16:20:07 -0500, The Old Sourdough
    <> wrote:

    >They are safe to delete. As a matter of fact, unless you're trying to find a
    >problem, you don't need those log files. Go to Tools>Options>Maintenance,
    >under Troubleshooting, take the ticks out of the boxes.

    I hate to ask a silly question, but where exactly to I find these
    options? Thanks
    Robert, Oct 4, 2003
  9. Stephanie

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 21:48:54 GMT, in
    <>
    Robert scrawled:

    >On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 16:20:07 -0500, The Old Sourdough
    ><> wrote:
    >

    >>They are safe to delete. As a matter of fact, unless you're trying to find a
    >>problem, you don't need those log files. Go to Tools>Options>Maintenance,
    >>under Troubleshooting, take the ticks out of the boxes.

    >I hate to ask a silly question, but where exactly to I find these
    >options? Thanks

    Outlook Express: Tools / Options / Maintenance.
    At the bottom you will see some boxes under 'Troubleshooting'.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Oct 4, 2003
  10. Stephanie

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sat, 4 Oct 2003 18:11:34 -0400, in
    <>
    Stephanie scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> Holy cow! Yes, delete them, and disable them from accumulating
    >> in the future. See "The Old Sourdough"'s advice on that.
    >>
    >> Also see my signature.
    >>

    >Done.
    >
    >you guys are great! thanks Mike and Old Sourdough and cubzilla!
    >
    >I now have 1.6 GB of free space on my 3 GB HD!!! And to think that I had
    >been struggling on a daily basis to get free space on my HD for the past 18
    >months. :)
    >
    >S.

    You're welcome.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Oct 4, 2003
  11. Stephanie

    Stephanie Guest

    Stephanie, Oct 4, 2003
  12. Stephanie

    Cubzilla Guest

    "Stephanie" <> wrote in message
    > "Cubzilla" <> wrote in message
    > > Its about time you got yer self a larger disk, Windows need at least 1/2

    > the
    > > size of you system Ram for page and swap space on your HDD ie 512Mb ram
    > > 256Mb free space on your disk, otherwise it will run like a dead whippet
    > >
    > > Deleting log files dhould be ok , just copy them to floppy.
    > >

    > hi, thanks Cubzilla! Can I just delete them instead, without copying to a
    > floppy? The two files I listed in my original post are 250 MB and 1.3 GB
    > big!
    >
    > S.

    Yeah get rid... that's a lot of floppies, it has been a long day silly me !
    Cubzilla, Oct 4, 2003
  13. Stephanie

    Robert Guest

    On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 22:59:24 +0100, °Mike°
    <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 21:48:54 GMT, in
    > <>
    > Robert scrawled:
    >
    >>On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 16:20:07 -0500, The Old Sourdough
    >><> wrote:
    >>

    >>>They are safe to delete. As a matter of fact, unless you're trying to find a
    >>>problem, you don't need those log files. Go to Tools>Options>Maintenance,
    >>>under Troubleshooting, take the ticks out of the boxes.

    >>I hate to ask a silly question, but where exactly to I find these
    >>options? Thanks

    >Outlook Express: Tools / Options / Maintenance.
    >At the bottom you will see some boxes under 'Troubleshooting'.

    Many thanks Mike
    Robert, Oct 5, 2003
  14. Stephanie

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 00:46:34 GMT, in
    <>
    Robert scrawled:

    >On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 22:59:24 +0100, °Mike°
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 21:48:54 GMT, in
    >> <>
    >> Robert scrawled:

    >>>I hate to ask a silly question, but where exactly to I find these
    >>>options? Thanks

    >>Outlook Express: Tools / Options / Maintenance.
    >>At the bottom you will see some boxes under 'Troubleshooting'.

    >Many thanks Mike

    You're welcome.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Oct 5, 2003
  15. On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 22:11:34 GMT in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, my mind
    boggled at the following statement by Stephanie in message

    > "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> Holy cow! Yes, delete them, and disable them from accumulating
    >> in the future. See "The Old Sourdough"'s advice on that.
    >>
    >> Also see my signature.
    >>

    > Done.
    >
    > you guys are great! thanks Mike and Old Sourdough and cubzilla!
    >
    > I now have 1.6 GB of free space on my 3 GB HD!!! And to think that I had
    > been struggling on a daily basis to get free space on my HD for the
    > past 18 months. :)
    >
    > S.

    Hehe. Of course now that you've got that free space, you'll promptly proceed
    to fill it up again.. :) (Hopefully not with useless log files, though.)

    The Old Sourdough, Oct 5, 2003