    detect. Have any of you encountered a DD-EX title that have been
    detected successfully by your receiver?
    , Jul 25, 2005

  2. On 25 Jul 2005 02:25:25 -0700, Gave us:

    >Every DVD with DD-EX I've encountered lack the flag for the receiver to
    >detect. Have any of you encountered a DD-EX title that have been
    >detected successfully by your receiver?

    Are you passing it via the digital input? If yes, coax or optical?
    Try both.
    NunYa Bidness, Jul 25, 2005

  3. Sammy Guest

    In article <>,
    NunYa Bidness <> wrote:

    > On 25 Jul 2005 02:25:25 -0700, Gave us:
    >
    > >Every DVD with DD-EX I've encountered lack the flag for the receiver to
    > >detect. Have any of you encountered a DD-EX title that have been
    > >detected successfully by your receiver?

    > Are you passing it via the digital input? If yes, coax or optical?
    > Try both.

    Won't make any difference (coax vs optical). Many, if not most, DD-EX
    DVDs don't have the flag set correctly and won't be detected by a
    receiver capable of doing so. I have a few that do have the flag set
    correctly and are detected. Dirty Dancing and Lord of the Rings-The Twin
    Towers-Extended Version are correctly flagged and detected. Also Pirates
    of the Caribbean.
    Sammy, Jul 25, 2005
  4. Richard C. Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Every DVD with DD-EX I've encountered lack the flag for the receiver to
    > detect. Have any of you encountered a DD-EX title that have been
    > detected successfully by your receiver?

    =====================================
    It is not the receiver, it is the DVD manufacturer.
    I finally set my Pioneer 49 to EX full time.
    It then works correctly with EX discs and has no problem with 5.1 discs.

    It pissed me off when I discovered how few have the flag set properly.
    ===================================
    Richard C., Jul 25, 2005
  5. Galley Guest

    On 25 Jul 2005 02:25:25 -0700, spewed forth these words of
    wisdom:

    >Every DVD with DD-EX I've encountered lack the flag for the receiver to
    >detect. Have any of you encountered a DD-EX title that have been
    >detected successfully by your receiver?

    My Sony STR-DE895 receiver has no problem picking up the EX channel.

    Galley
    Galley, Jul 27, 2005
  6. Biz Guest

    No receiver will choose EX automatically if the DVD isnt flagged
    correctly....this a dvd authoring problem, NOT a reciever problem.

    Biz, Jul 27, 2005
  7. Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Biz" <> wrote in message
    > No receiver will choose EX automatically if the DVD isnt flagged
    > correctly....

    On the contrary, almost every 6.1 receiver has a mode that will allow
    you to permanently engage EX decoding. There are many 5.1 discs that
    matrix well into a surround rear channel when you turn on EX, even if
    they weren't specifically mixed for it.
    Joshua Zyber, Jul 27, 2005
  8. Richard C. Guest

    "Galley" <> wrote in message
    > On 25 Jul 2005 02:25:25 -0700, spewed forth these
    > words of
    > wisdom:
    >
    >>Every DVD with DD-EX I've encountered lack the flag for the receiver to
    >>detect. Have any of you encountered a DD-EX title that have been
    >>detected successfully by your receiver?

    > My Sony STR-DE895 receiver has no problem picking up the EX channel.

    Are you sure?
    If the flag is not on the DVD, then no receiver in the world can detect it.
    That is why I just leave my Elite 49tx on 7.1.
    Richard C., Jul 29, 2005
  9. Richard C. Guest

    "Joshua Zyber" <> wrote in message
    > "Biz" <> wrote in message
    >> No receiver will choose EX automatically if the DVD isnt flagged
    >> correctly....

    > On the contrary, almost every 6.1 receiver has a mode that will allow you
    > to permanently engage EX decoding. There are many 5.1 discs that matrix
    > well into a surround rear channel when you turn on EX, even if they
    > weren't specifically mixed for it.

    Which is why he used the word "automatically".
    Richard C., Jul 29, 2005
  10. Galley Guest

    On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 08:51:13 -0700, "Richard C." <> spewed
    forth these words of wisdom:

    >Are you sure?
    >If the flag is not on the DVD, then no receiver in the world can detect it.
    >That is why I just leave my Elite 49tx on 7.1.

    Well, the light comes on when I play EX discs.

    Galley
    Galley, Jul 30, 2005
  11. Biz Guest

    "Richard C." <> wrote in message

    > "Joshua Zyber" <> wrote in message
    > > "Biz" <> wrote in message
    > >> No receiver will choose EX automatically if the DVD isnt flagged
    > >> correctly....

    > > On the contrary, almost every 6.1 receiver has a mode that will allow

    you
    > > to permanently engage EX decoding. There are many 5.1 discs that matrix
    > > well into a surround rear channel when you turn on EX, even if they
    > > weren't specifically mixed for it.

    > Which is why he used the word "automatically".

    Which is now why I use the word exactly...to me "detect" means leaving your
    reciever in auto mode, not manually putting it into EX mode...Personally I
    always use auto and select EX only when appropriate (mis-flagged disks)for
    sound the way it was intended to be heard.

    ;)
    Biz, Jul 30, 2005
  12. Richard C. Guest

    "Biz" <> wrote in message

    > "Richard C." <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Joshua Zyber" <> wrote in message
    >> > "Biz" <> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > On the contrary, almost every 6.1 receiver has a mode that will allow

    > you
    >> > to permanently engage EX decoding. There are many 5.1 discs that matrix
    >> > well into a surround rear channel when you turn on EX, even if they
    >> > weren't specifically mixed for it.

    >> Which is why he used the word "automatically".
    >>

    > Which is now why I use the word exactly...to me "detect" means leaving
    > your
    > reciever in auto mode, not manually putting it into EX mode...Personally I
    > always use auto and select EX only when appropriate (mis-flagged disks)for
    > sound the way it was intended to be heard.

    =======================================
    Just curious.......HOW do you detect a mis-flagged disc?
    (hint - you can't)
    Are you also aware that most EX discs are not even noted on the box or the
    menu?

    That is why I leave mine in 7.1 mode all the time.
    Richard C., Aug 1, 2005
  13. Richard C. Guest

    "Galley" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 08:51:13 -0700, "Richard C." <>
    > spewed
    > forth these words of wisdom:
    >

    >>Are you sure?
    >>If the flag is not on the DVD, then no receiver in the world can detect
    >>it.
    >>That is why I just leave my Elite 49tx on 7.1.

    > Well, the light comes on when I play EX discs.

    ==============================
    Not the ones that do not have the flag....................
    Richard C., Aug 1, 2005
  14. Biz Guest

    "Richard C." <> wrote in message

    > "Biz" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Richard C." <> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> "Joshua Zyber" <> wrote in message

    > > you

    matrix
    > >> ==============================================
    > >> Which is why he used the word "automatically".
    > >>

    > > Which is now why I use the word exactly...to me "detect" means leaving
    > > your
    > > reciever in auto mode, not manually putting it into EX mode...Personally

    > > always use auto and select EX only when appropriate (mis-flagged

    disks)for
    > > sound the way it was intended to be heard.
    > >

    > =======================================
    > Just curious.......HOW do you detect a mis-flagged disc?
    > (hint - you can't)
    > Are you also aware that most EX discs are not even noted on the box or the
    > menu?
    >
    > That is why I leave mine in 7.1 mode all the time.

    OK, how do you know when a disk is supposed to be EX then? I prefer not to
    use EX on non-EX disks, but you can do whatever you want. I want it the way
    it was intended, not some bastardized version. This is the first I've heard
    about this issue you claim to know about regarding EX disks that arent
    marked in any way, shape, or form. Got any URL's with documentation?
    Biz, Aug 1, 2005
  15. Jim Johnson Guest

    I've noticed on the Dolby site (you can get a list of movies encoded with ex
    there) some movies I have are listed as having it (Sky Captain World of
    Tomorrow being one example), but their is no mention of ex on the dvd case
    or menu. Hence I've wondered about that also.

    Jim

    Jim Johnson, Aug 1, 2005
  16. Richard C. Guest

    "Biz" <> wrote in message

    >> =======================================
    >> Just curious.......HOW do you detect a mis-flagged disc?
    >> (hint - you can't)
    >> Are you also aware that most EX discs are not even noted on the box or
    >> the
    >> menu?
    >>
    >> That is why I leave mine in 7.1 mode all the time.
    >>

    > OK, how do you know when a disk is supposed to be EX then? I prefer not
    > use EX on non-EX disks, but you can do whatever you want. I want it the
    > way
    > it was intended, not some bastardized version. This is the first I've
    > heard
    > about this issue you claim to know about regarding EX disks that arent
    > marked in any way, shape, or form. Got any URL's with documentation?

    Here is one good site:
    http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Park/6461/surroundex.html
    http://www.dvdreview.com/movies/html\thxex_list.html
    http://www.smr-home-theatre.org/surroundex/index.html

    From what I have found, the MAJORITY of EX discs are either not flagged
    or not noted on the package.

    Leaving the system in EX at all times seems to cause no problems.
    When the disc is not EX, there is NOTHING in the rear channels on my system.
    Richard C., Aug 1, 2005