Are there any magazines.

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by turtill@hotmail.com, Sep 20, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Are there any magazines devoted to voip at my newsagent? I find most
    computer magazines above me so I am looking at something my
    grandchildren can explain to me:-(
    pete
    , Sep 20, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Anon Y Mous Guest

    wrote:
    > Are there any magazines devoted to voip at my newsagent? I find most
    > computer magazines above me so I am looking at something my
    > grandchildren can explain to me:-(
    > pete

    No, not at the moment, but I (and most of the group) will be glad to
    help you with any queries you may have :)
    Anon Y Mous, Sep 20, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Ivor Jones Guest

    "Anon Y Mous" <..@..> wrote in message
    news:43303569$0$1312$
    > wrote:
    > > Are there any magazines devoted to voip at my
    > > newsagent? I find most computer magazines above me so I
    > > am looking at something my grandchildren can explain to
    > > me:-( pete

    > No, not at the moment, but I (and most of the group) will
    > be glad to help you with any queries you may have :)


    PC Pro had a good article a couple of months ago, but no there's nothing
    specific on the market at the moment.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Sep 20, 2005
    #3
  4. Brian A Guest

    On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 18:42:11 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >
    >
    >"Anon Y Mous" <..@..> wrote in message
    >news:43303569$0$1312$
    >> wrote:
    >> > Are there any magazines devoted to voip at my
    >> > newsagent? I find most computer magazines above me so I
    >> > am looking at something my grandchildren can explain to
    >> > me:-( pete

    >> No, not at the moment, but I (and most of the group) will
    >> be glad to help you with any queries you may have :)

    >
    >PC Pro had a good article a couple of months ago, but no there's nothing
    >specific on the market at the moment.
    >
    >Ivor
    >

    I'm not so sure that such a magazine would be viable.
    Internet Magazine folded and that had a wide appeal - something as
    narrow as voip is unlikely to suceed in my view. There is a limit as
    to what you could feature in such a magazine to maintain interest.
    Once you have got your set up working there isn't so much more to say.
    You have only got to look at the number of new threads and the narrow
    diversity of topics on this group.
    What might suceed is a small section within an established Net
    magazine.


    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    Brian A, Sep 20, 2005
    #4
  5. Guest

    On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 17:14:30 +0100, Anon Y Mous <..@..> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> Are there any magazines devoted to voip at my newsagent? I find most
    >> computer magazines above me so I am looking at something my
    >> grandchildren can explain to me:-(
    >> pete

    >No, not at the moment, but I (and most of the group) will be glad to
    >help you with any queries you may have :)


    Thanks. I reckon I will be asking a lot if I cannot read up on voip;-)
    pete
    , Sep 21, 2005
    #5
  6. Guest

    On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 18:42:11 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >
    >
    >"Anon Y Mous" <..@..> wrote in message
    >news:43303569$0$1312$
    >> wrote:
    >> > Are there any magazines devoted to voip at my
    >> > newsagent? I find most computer magazines above me so I
    >> > am looking at something my grandchildren can explain to
    >> > me:-( pete

    >> No, not at the moment, but I (and most of the group) will
    >> be glad to help you with any queries you may have :)

    >
    >PC Pro had a good article a couple of months ago, but no there's nothing
    >specific on the market at the moment.


    OK thanks.
    pete
    , Sep 21, 2005
    #6
  7. Guest

    On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 20:33:37 GMT, Brian A
    <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 18:42:11 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>
    >>
    >>"Anon Y Mous" <..@..> wrote in message
    >>news:43303569$0$1312$
    >>> wrote:
    >>> > Are there any magazines devoted to voip at my
    >>> > newsagent? I find most computer magazines above me so I
    >>> > am looking at something my grandchildren can explain to
    >>> > me:-( pete
    >>> No, not at the moment, but I (and most of the group) will
    >>> be glad to help you with any queries you may have :)

    >>
    >>PC Pro had a good article a couple of months ago, but no there's nothing
    >>specific on the market at the moment.
    >>
    >>Ivor
    >>

    >I'm not so sure that such a magazine would be viable.
    >Internet Magazine folded and that had a wide appeal - something as
    >narrow as voip is unlikely to suceed in my view. There is a limit as
    >to what you could feature in such a magazine to maintain interest.
    >Once you have got your set up working there isn't so much more to say.
    >You have only got to look at the number of new threads and the narrow
    >diversity of topics on this group.
    >What might suceed is a small section within an established Net
    >magazine.


    I see your point clearly. However what magazine should somebody like
    me take? I am 62 and over the hill in the brain box dept and only been
    online since late 2000 and I have been out of my depth all the time:-(
    Most magazines I have glanced at assume the reader has a better
    knowledge than I have!
    pete
    , Sep 21, 2005
    #7
  8. wrote:
    > On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 20:33:37 GMT, Brian A
    >>>SNIPPED<<<

    > I see your point clearly. However what magazine should somebody like
    > me take? I am 62 and over the hill in the brain box dept and only been
    > online since late 2000 and I have been out of my depth all the time:-(
    > Most magazines I have glanced at assume the reader has a better
    > knowledge than I have!
    > pete


    http://www.goindustry.com/en/equipmentdetails.asp?sOfferID=75576

    Magazine wise something like Computeractive:

    http://www.computeractive.co.uk

    is aimed at the less technically adept reader.

    Voip specifically, try reading:

    http://www.voipbasics.co.uk/introduction.jsp

    Then try it out and see if it is any use to you, free to try services
    include:

    http://www.voipbuster.com

    http://www.voipfone.co.uk

    http://www.sipgate.co.uk

    Cheap headset/microphone, think poundshop, combination will make life
    easier than microphone and computer speakers.

    HTH
    Adam
    Adam Aglionby, Sep 21, 2005
    #8
  9. Guest

    On 20 Sep 2005 18:04:51 -0700, "Adam Aglionby" <>
    wrote:

    >
    > wrote:
    >> On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 20:33:37 GMT, Brian A
    >>>>SNIPPED<<<

    >> I see your point clearly. However what magazine should somebody like
    >> me take? I am 62 and over the hill in the brain box dept and only been
    >> online since late 2000 and I have been out of my depth all the time:-(
    >> Most magazines I have glanced at assume the reader has a better
    >> knowledge than I have!
    >> pete

    >
    >http://www.goindustry.com/en/equipmentdetails.asp?sOfferID=75576
    >
    >Magazine wise something like Computeractive:
    >
    >http://www.computeractive.co.uk
    >
    >is aimed at the less technically adept reader.
    >
    >Voip specifically, try reading:
    >
    >http://www.voipbasics.co.uk/introduction.jsp
    >
    >Then try it out and see if it is any use to you, free to try services
    >include:
    >
    >http://www.voipbuster.com
    >
    >http://www.voipfone.co.uk
    >
    >http://www.sipgate.co.uk
    >
    >Cheap headset/microphone, think poundshop, combination will make life
    >easier than microphone and computer speakers.
    >
    >HTH
    >Adam


    I am extremely grateful Adam. Your post has all I could hope for. I
    will be spending some time reading up now thanks very much.
    pete
    , Sep 21, 2005
    #9
  10. <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 20:33:37 GMT, Brian A
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 18:42:11 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    >><> wrote:
    >>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>"Anon Y Mous" <..@..> wrote in message
    >>>news:43303569$0$1312$
    >>>> wrote:
    >>>> > Are there any magazines devoted to voip at my
    >>>> > newsagent? I find most computer magazines above me so I
    >>>> > am looking at something my grandchildren can explain to
    >>>> > me:-( pete


    Oh Peter my friend you arent rying to pull the old Granbdchildren lark again
    are you in an attempt to set up some sort of posting chain.
    You know you dont have any grandchildren and your postings here are an
    attempt to give you some sort of credibility, but your jistory says you are
    a mass Newsgroup abuser.

    I must warn everyone reading this NOT to give Peter Turtill any personal
    information or details as he has a nasty habit of seeking out peoples
    details and then posting them in newsgroups. Anyone who dares question him
    will get his full attention and abuse




    > I see your point clearly. However what magazine should somebody like
    > me take? I am 62 and over the hill in the brain box dept and only been
    > online since late 2000


    Peter, you KNOW your abuse goes back before 2000 as your posts as Smicker
    and Rossprat are dated previous to that date.
    Stop lying peter


    _________________________________________
    Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
    More than 140,000 groups
    Unlimited download
    http://www.usenetzone.com to open account
    Alhaji Saleh Jambo, Sep 21, 2005
    #10
  11. Mark Adamson Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:eek:...
    > Are there any magazines devoted to voip at my newsagent? I find most
    > computer magazines above me so I am looking at something my
    > grandchildren can explain to me:-(
    > pete


    Next months PCPlus will have a feature on VoIP.

    Sometimes their features are just right, other times they show that they
    don't spend very long playing around, or reading
    through newsgroups etc.

    Mark
    Mark Adamson, Sep 21, 2005
    #11
  12. "Mark Adamson" <> wrote in message
    news:dgr1et$7cg$...
    > <> wrote in message
    > news:eek:...
    >> Are there any magazines devoted to voip at my newsagent? I find most
    >> computer magazines above me so I am looking at something my
    >> grandchildren can explain to me:-(
    >> pete

    >
    > Next months PCPlus will have a feature on VoIP.
    >
    > Sometimes their features are just right, other times they show that they
    > don't spend very long playing around, or reading
    > through newsgroups etc.
    >
    > Mark


    My friend, I can assure you that Peter Turtill has no intention of buying or
    interest in any magazine.
    He is simply posting here in an attempt to set up some sort of posting
    history where he is not being abusive, lying harassing or bullying someone.
    He has been chased off of most other groups he posted on because of his open
    hostility towards anyone who disgrees with him.
    He will stay here untill he finds someone gullible enough that he can abuse,
    and will then take great pleasure in posting al their private and personal
    details in an attempt to show how clever he is.
    Once he realises he has been tumbled here he will simply move to another
    group where he isnt known and start there

    He is a sick old man. Not disabled, just sick


    God Bless


    _________________________________________
    Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
    More than 140,000 groups
    Unlimited download
    http://www.usenetzone.com to open account
    Alhaji Saleh Jambo, Sep 21, 2005
    #12
  13. "Mark Adamson" <> wrote in message
    news:dgr1et$7cg$...
    > <> wrote in message
    > news:eek:...
    >> Are there any magazines devoted to voip at my newsagent? I find most
    >> computer magazines above me so I am looking at something my
    >> grandchildren can explain to me:-(
    >> pete

    >
    > Next months PCPlus will have a feature on VoIP.
    >
    > Sometimes their features are just right, other times they show that they
    > don't spend very long playing around, or reading
    > through newsgroups etc.
    >
    > Mark


    My friend, I can assure you that Peter Turtill has no intention of buying or
    interest in any magazine.
    He is simply posting here in an attempt to set up some sort of posting
    history where he is not being abusive, lying harassing or bullying someone.
    He has been chased off of most other groups he posted on because of his open
    hostility towards anyone who disgrees with him.
    He will stay here untill he finds someone gullible enough that he can abuse,
    and will then take great pleasure in posting al their private and personal
    details in an attempt to show how clever he is.
    Once he realises he has been tumbled here he will simply move to another
    group where he isnt known and start there

    He is a sick old man. Not disabled, just sick


    God Bless



    _________________________________________
    Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
    More than 140,000 groups
    Unlimited download
    http://www.usenetzone.com to open account
    Alhaji Saleh Jambo, Sep 21, 2005
    #13
  14. John Guest

    In article <>, Alhaji Saleh Jambo
    <> writes
    >
    >My friend, I can assure you that Peter Turtill has no intention of buying or
    >interest in any magazine.
    >He is simply posting here in an attempt to set up some sort of posting
    >history where he is not being abusive, lying harassing or bullying someone.
    >He has been chased off of most other groups he posted on because of his open
    >hostility towards anyone who disgrees with him.
    >He will stay here untill he finds someone gullible enough that he can abuse,
    >and will then take great pleasure in posting al their private and personal
    >details in an attempt to show how clever he is.
    >Once he realises he has been tumbled here he will simply move to another
    >group where he isnt known and start there
    >
    >He is a sick old man. Not disabled, just sick


    Why not advise all to killfile him?

    Or at least killfile the thread he posts in to? However, this will not
    offer a kill facility if he starts a new thread.

    --
    John Clark
    John, Sep 21, 2005
    #14
  15. Guest

    On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 08:17:47 +0100, "Mark Adamson"
    <> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >news:eek:...
    >> Are there any magazines devoted to voip at my newsagent? I find most
    >> computer magazines above me so I am looking at something my
    >> grandchildren can explain to me:-(
    >> pete

    >
    >Next months PCPlus will have a feature on VoIP.
    >
    >Sometimes their features are just right, other times they show that they
    >don't spend very long playing around, or reading
    >through newsgroups etc.


    Thanks I will get a copy when it comes out. Hopefully I can get it
    from my local supermarket.
    pete
    , Sep 21, 2005
    #15
  16. Guest

    On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 11:32:12 +0100, John
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>, Alhaji Saleh Jambo
    ><> writes
    >>
    >>My friend, I can assure you that Peter Turtill has no intention of buying or
    >>interest in any magazine.
    >>He is simply posting here in an attempt to set up some sort of posting
    >>history where he is not being abusive, lying harassing or bullying someone.
    >>He has been chased off of most other groups he posted on because of his open
    >>hostility towards anyone who disgrees with him.
    >>He will stay here untill he finds someone gullible enough that he can abuse,
    >>and will then take great pleasure in posting al their private and personal
    >>details in an attempt to show how clever he is.
    >>Once he realises he has been tumbled here he will simply move to another
    >>group where he isnt known and start there
    >>
    >>He is a sick old man. Not disabled, just sick

    >
    >Why not advise all to killfile him?
    >
    >Or at least killfile the thread he posts in to? However, this will not
    >offer a kill facility if he starts a new thread.


    I wish he would kill file me permanently in all ng's I use.
    pete
    , Sep 21, 2005
    #16
  17. Tone Guest

    On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 16:36:59 +0100, wrote:

    >On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 11:32:12 +0100, John
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>In article <>, Alhaji Saleh Jambo
    >><> writes
    >>>
    >>>My friend, I can assure you that Peter Turtill has no intention of buying or
    >>>interest in any magazine.
    >>>He is simply posting here in an attempt to set up some sort of posting
    >>>history where he is not being abusive, lying harassing or bullying someone.
    >>>He has been chased off of most other groups he posted on because of his open
    >>>hostility towards anyone who disgrees with him.
    >>>He will stay here untill he finds someone gullible enough that he can abuse,
    >>>and will then take great pleasure in posting al their private and personal
    >>>details in an attempt to show how clever he is.
    >>>Once he realises he has been tumbled here he will simply move to another
    >>>group where he isnt known and start there
    >>>
    >>>He is a sick old man. Not disabled, just sick

    >>
    >>Why not advise all to killfile him?
    >>
    >>Or at least killfile the thread he posts in to? However, this will not
    >>offer a kill facility if he starts a new thread.

    >
    >I wish he would kill file me permanently in all ng's I use.
    >pete


    Yes you'd love that wouldnt you then you could carry on posting your
    vile and disgusting lies.

    You wait around then start posting total lies and fabrications.
    You cannot be trusted as you have a mental disease



    --


    Just livin the Vida Sofa
    Tone, Sep 21, 2005
    #17
  18. Tone Guest

    On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 11:32:12 +0100, John
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>, Alhaji Saleh Jambo
    ><> writes
    >>
    >>My friend, I can assure you that Peter Turtill has no intention of buying or
    >>interest in any magazine.
    >>He is simply posting here in an attempt to set up some sort of posting
    >>history where he is not being abusive, lying harassing or bullying someone.
    >>He has been chased off of most other groups he posted on because of his open
    >>hostility towards anyone who disgrees with him.
    >>He will stay here untill he finds someone gullible enough that he can abuse,
    >>and will then take great pleasure in posting al their private and personal
    >>details in an attempt to show how clever he is.
    >>Once he realises he has been tumbled here he will simply move to another
    >>group where he isnt known and start there
    >>
    >>He is a sick old man. Not disabled, just sick

    >
    >Why not advise all to killfile him?
    >
    >Or at least killfile the thread he posts in to? However, this will not
    >offer a kill facility if he starts a new thread.


    The problem is he has been posting lies and some really foul
    allegations about me and several other users.

    Unless I respond to his psychopathic rants people might just start
    believing the weirdo. Though I think its getting through to most
    newsgroups that the man is menatlly deranged




    --


    Just livin the Vida Sofa
    Tone, Sep 21, 2005
    #18
  19. On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 17:06:10 +0100, Tone <> wrote:

    >Unless I respond to his psychopathic rants people might just start
    >believing the weirdo.


    he seems to have been very polite here so far. I take on board your
    warnings about future behaviour but right now its you that look like
    the psychopathic ranter - however good your intent.

    Phil
    --

    Usenet spam eaten by a Hamster http://www.tglsoft.de/
    No more cable clowns :))
    Please do not feed or re-quote the trolls.
    Phil Thompson, Sep 21, 2005
    #19
  20. Mark Adamson Guest

    "Phil Thompson" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 17:06:10 +0100, Tone <> wrote:
    >
    >>Unless I respond to his psychopathic rants people might just start
    >>believing the weirdo.

    >
    > he seems to have been very polite here so far. I take on board your
    > warnings about future behaviour but right now its you that look like
    > the psychopathic ranter - however good your intent.
    >
    > Phil
    > --


    too true, and at the end of the day, even if what you say is true and it was
    not a genuine question, somebody might be searching for the answer to the
    question and find useful responses (among the dribble)
    Mark Adamson, Sep 21, 2005
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Arawak
    Replies:
    16
    Views:
    1,733
    Arawak
    Aug 16, 2003
  2. Daniel Hoz

    Good British Comp. Magazines?

    Daniel Hoz, Nov 28, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    485
    AvengerĀ©
    Nov 28, 2004
  3. PC Telecom
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    418
    PC Telecom
    Jun 2, 2005
  4. Networking Student
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    1,252
    vreyesii
    Nov 16, 2006
  5. Replies:
    3
    Views:
    475
    The Old Sourdough
    Sep 4, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page