    --
    Nathan Sokalski

    http://www.nathansokalski.com/
    Nathan Sokalski, Mar 1, 2010

  2. Re: Are there any known problems using Visual Studio 2008 on Windows7 64-Bit

    On Mar 2, 12:25 am, "Nathan Sokalski" <> wrote:
    > I am using Visual Studio 2008 on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit. However, I have
    > been getting an error when debugging my site even though I haven't changed
    > anything since I had it on my old 32-Bit XP machine not more than about 2
    > months ago. I have been trying to get help for the actual errors with some
    > of the other newsgroups; my question here is are there any known issues
    > between Visual Studio 2008/.NET 3.5 and 64-Bit operating systems? Thanks.
    > --
    > Nathan Sokalski
    > ://www.nathansokalski.com/

    So, what is the error, and how it is configured? Are you using IIS, or
    VS.Net test web server?
    Alexey Smirnov, Mar 2, 2010

  3. The error has to do with a control being Nothing (or null) when I try to set
    one of it's properties. I am using the Visual Studio 2008 test web server.
    Even though I have tried to find a way to fix it, the thing that makes me
    wonder if it has anything to do with Windows 7 or 64-bit is the fact that
    when I would test the site on my 32-bit XP machine less than 2 months ago, I
    had not problems with the exact same code. And even more frustrating is the
    fact that I have made a copy of the site and compared every file character
    for character, yet one works and one doesn't. But I have (and still am)
    trying to figure out how to fix the problem in another thread, my real
    question here is whether 2008 has any known issues on Windows 7 64-Bit. Is
    there a site that Microsoft has that would have information like this
    available on it? Thanks.

    Nathan Sokalski, Mar 2, 2010
  4. Re: Are there any known problems using Visual Studio 2008 on Windows7 64-Bit

    On Mar 2, 5:02 pm, "Nathan Sokalski" <> wrote:
    > The error has to do with a control being Nothing (or null) when I try to set
    > one of it's properties. I am using the Visual Studio 2008 test web server..
    > Even though I have tried to find a way to fix it, the thing that makes me
    > wonder if it has anything to do with Windows 7 or 64-bit is the fact that
    > when I would test the site on my 32-bit XP machine less than 2 months ago, I
    > had not problems with the exact same code. And even more frustrating is the
    > fact that I have made a copy of the site and compared every file character
    > for character, yet one works and one doesn't. But I have (and still am)
    > trying to figure out how to fix the problem in another thread, my real
    > question here is whether 2008 has any known issues on Windows 7 64-Bit. Is
    > there a site that Microsoft has that would have information like this
    > available on it? Thanks.
    > --
    > Nathan Sokalski
    > ://www.nathansokalski.com/
    >
    > "Alexey Smirnov" <> wrote in message

    > > On Mar 2, 12:25 am, "Nathan Sokalski" <> wrote:
    > >> I am using Visual Studio 2008 on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit. However, I
    > >> have
    > >> been getting an error when debugging my site even though I haven't
    > >> changed
    > >> anything since I had it on my old 32-Bit XP machine not more than about 2
    > >> months ago. I have been trying to get help for the actual errors with
    > >> some
    > >> of the other newsgroups; my question here is are there any known issues
    > >> between Visual Studio 2008/.NET 3.5 and 64-Bit operating systems? Thanks.
    > >> --
    > >> Nathan Sokalski
    > >> ://www.nathansokalski.com/

    > > So, what is the error, and how it is configured? Are you using IIS, or
    > > VS.Net test web server?- Hide quoted text -

    If it refers to a control then comparing project files will not help,
    because this is not because of the source code. It sounds like either
    VS was not properly installed, or another application did change
    something there. Do you have SP1 installed? If I were you I would try
    to reinstall SP or VS.
    Alexey Smirnov, Mar 2, 2010
  5. Re: Are there any known problems using Visual Studio 2008 on Windows7 64-Bit

    On Mar 2, 5:02 pm, "Nathan Sokalski" <> wrote:
    > The error has to do with a control being Nothing (or null) when I try to set
    > one of it's properties. I am using the Visual Studio 2008 test web server..
    > Even though I have tried to find a way to fix it, the thing that makes me
    > wonder if it has anything to do with Windows 7 or 64-bit is the fact that
    > when I would test the site on my 32-bit XP machine less than 2 months ago, I
    > had not problems with the exact same code. And even more frustrating is the
    > fact that I have made a copy of the site and compared every file character
    > for character, yet one works and one doesn't. But I have (and still am)
    > trying to figure out how to fix the problem in another thread, my real
    > question here is whether 2008 has any known issues on Windows 7 64-Bit. Is
    > there a site that Microsoft has that would have information like this
    > available on it? Thanks.
    > --
    > Nathan Sokalski
    > ://www.nathansokalski.com/
    >
    > "Alexey Smirnov" <> wrote in message

    > > On Mar 2, 12:25 am, "Nathan Sokalski" <> wrote:
    > >> I am using Visual Studio 2008 on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit. However, I
    > >> have
    > >> been getting an error when debugging my site even though I haven't
    > >> changed
    > >> anything since I had it on my old 32-Bit XP machine not more than about 2
    > >> months ago. I have been trying to get help for the actual errors with
    > >> some
    > >> of the other newsgroups; my question here is are there any known issues
    > >> between Visual Studio 2008/.NET 3.5 and 64-Bit operating systems? Thanks.
    > >> --
    > >> Nathan Sokalski
    > >> ://www.nathansokalski.com/

    > > So, what is the error, and how it is configured? Are you using IIS, or
    > > VS.Net test web server?- Hide quoted text -

    More about compatibility
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/co....aspx?type=Software&s=visual studio&os=64-bit
    Alexey Smirnov, Mar 2, 2010
  6. Nathan Sokalski

    inventor1984 Guest

    Re: Are there any known problems using Visual Studio 2008 on Windows7 64-Bit

    I would like to learn Visual Studio 2008 on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit
    as I have this OS and need to write....

    I question did you have to go to a University to learn this?

    Can you lean it for free on the web?

    How much does VS cost?

    ie... could I use VS to edit the menu in Live Mail to add insert time
    and date like Outlook has

    and edit the menu in Live Mail to add insert signature?

    ie... what are some things I could write using VS... that I and add to
    ie 8 Live Mail Photo Manager etc

    thanks

    inventsomething at live dot com

    Greg

    inventor1984, Mar 2, 2010
  7. Re: Are there any known problems using Visual Studio 2008 on Windows7 64-Bit

    Start with a book
    e.g.

    Visual Studio 2008 For Dummies
    http://www.amazon.com/Visual-Studio-2008-Reference-Dummies/dp/0470191082
    Alexey Smirnov, Mar 2, 2010
  8. I tried reinstalling Visual Studio 2008, and I do have the service pack:

    Microsoft Visual Studio 2008
    Version 9.0.30729.1 SP
    Microsoft .NET Framework
    Version 3.5 SP1

    But I still receive the same problem. Any other ideas? Thank you for your
    help.

    Nathan Sokalski, Mar 2, 2010
  9. Re: Are there any known problems using Visual Studio 2008 on Windows7 64-Bit

    On 3/2/2010 5:20 PM, Nathan Sokalski wrote:
    > I tried reinstalling Visual Studio 2008, and I do have the service pack:
    >
    > Microsoft Visual Studio 2008
    > Version 9.0.30729.1 SP
    > Microsoft .NET Framework
    > Version 3.5 SP1
    >
    > But I still receive the same problem. Any other ideas? Thank you for
    > your help.

    Perhaps the control (3rd party?) only works in 32-bit mode?

    --
    Mike
    Family Tree Mike, Mar 3, 2010
  10. The control is one that I wrote, and to the best of my knowledge it does not
    use any classes that are affected by whether it is running in a 32 or 64-bit
    environment. And as I said before, I have two projects with identical code
    (including the source code for this control), and only one is working.

    Nathan Sokalski, Mar 3, 2010
  11. Re: Are there any known problems using Visual Studio 2008 on Windows7 64-Bit

    On Mar 3, 4:13 am, "Nathan Sokalski" <> wrote:
    > The control is one that I wrote, and to the best of my knowledge it does not
    > use any classes that are affected by whether it is running in a 32 or 64-bit
    > environment. And as I said before, I have two projects with identical code
    > (including the source code for this control), and only one is working.
    >
    > --
    > Nathan Sokalski
    > ://www.nathansokalski.com/
    >
    > "Family Tree Mike" <> wrote in messagenews:#...
    >

    > > On 3/2/2010 5:20 PM, Nathan Sokalski wrote:
    > >> I tried reinstalling Visual Studio 2008, and I do have the service pack:

    > >> Microsoft Visual Studio 2008
    > >> Version 9.0.30729.1 SP
    > >> Microsoft .NET Framework
    > >> Version 3.5 SP1

    > >> But I still receive the same problem. Any other ideas? Thank you for
    > >> your help.

    > > Perhaps the control (3rd party?) only works in 32-bit mode?

    > > --
    > > Mike- Hide quoted text -

    Well, I don't really know what can be wrong there. I would try to
    create a new project from scratch and add the control there. If the
    problem reappears again, please check the control. If not, then there
    is something else.

    Hope this helps.
    Alexey Smirnov, Mar 3, 2010
  12. I have tried creating a new project from scratch, but same problem, and I am
    pretty sure the problem is not in the control, because as I have mentioned,
    the control works in one of the two identical projects. If the problem is by
    some chance in the control, where could it be? I would really have any idea
    where in the control to look, since the control is Nothing when the problem
    happens. Of all the development problems I've ever had, this has to be the
    most frustrating by far.

    Nathan Sokalski, Mar 3, 2010
  13. Re: Are there any known problems using Visual Studio 2008 on Windows7 64-Bit

    On Mar 3, 4:37 pm, "Nathan Sokalski" <> wrote:
    > I have tried creating a new project from scratch, but same problem, and I am
    > pretty sure the problem is not in the control, because as I have mentioned,
    > the control works in one of the two identical projects. If the problem is by
    > some chance in the control, where could it be? I would really have any idea
    > where in the control to look, since the control is Nothing when the problem
    > happens. Of all the development problems I've ever had, this has to be the
    > most frustrating by far.
    > --
    > Nathan Sokalski
    > ://www.nathansokalski.com/
    >
    > "Alexey Smirnov" <> wrote in message

    > > On Mar 3, 4:13 am, "Nathan Sokalski" <> wrote:
    > >> The control is one that I wrote, and to the best of my knowledge it does
    > >> not
    > >> use any classes that are affected by whether it is running in a 32 or
    > >> 64-bit
    > >> environment. And as I said before, I have two projects with identical
    > >> code
    > >> (including the source code for this control), and only one is working.

    > >> --
    > >> Nathan Sokalski
    > >> ://www.nathansokalski.com/

    > >> "Family Tree Mike" <> wrote in
    > >> messagenews:#...

    > > Well, I don't really know what can be wrong there. I would try to
    > > create a new project from scratch and add the control there. If the
    > > problem reappears again, please check the control. If not, then there
    > > is something else.

    > > Hope this helps.- Hide quoted text -

    Do you mean it works in another project on the same x64 box, or it
    works in another project on x32 XP?
    Alexey Smirnov, Mar 3, 2010
  14. I mean another project with the exact same source code on the same x64 box.
    This is part of why I am finding it so hard and frustrating to fix, since I
    can't find any code differences to cause it.

    Nathan Sokalski, Mar 3, 2010
  15. Nathan Sokalski

    Paul Guest

    Re: Are there any known problems using Visual Studio 2008 on Windows7 64-Bit

    You never gave enough information about the error.

    I had a similar problem on vs2009 win7-64. It was driving me nuts that the
    designer was repeatedly dropping the constructor for my custom control on
    the form. It turned out I had marked the control's constructor internal and
    it should have been public.

    Paul, Apr 9, 2010
  16. Nathan Sokalski

    Paul Guest

    Re: Are there any known problems using Visual Studio 2008 on Windows7 64-Bit

    vs2008

    Paul, Apr 9, 2010