    already selling?

    Thanks,
    JohnDoe
    John Doe, Dec 6, 2003

  2. John Doe

    Mark Herring Guest

    On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 08:52:45 -0700, John Doe <>
    wrote:

    >http://www.foveon.com/prod_f19.html
    >
    >I like the picture quality from Foveon sensors. I'm wondering if a
    >consumer based product is going to be released soon or is there one
    >already selling?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >JohnDoe

    If you are George Preddy in disguise, then you know what to expect.
    (ie what part of "Get Lost" do you not understand?)

    Assuming you are not GP, then I advise you to do a Google groups
    search on "Foveon" and "Sigma". You will see that this is a topic
    we're a bit tired of hearing about. Most people feel that Foveon
    sensors do NOT offer an advantage over the more common Bayer
    technology. In fact, many have pointed out how it is inferior.
    **************************
    Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.
    Private e-mail: Just say no to "No".
    Mark Herring, Dec 6, 2003

  3. fove-gone for 2004 !!!!!!

    see thread on preddy-dictions....

    Betty Swallocks, Dec 6, 2003
  4. John Doe

    Crownfield Guest

    John Doe wrote:

    > http://www.foveon.com/prod_f19.html
    >
    > I like the picture quality from Foveon sensors. I'm wondering if a
    > consumer based product is going to be released soon or is there one
    > already selling?

    alas, some reviewers think that
    since foveon has not gotten anyone but sigma to use the sensor,
    and since sigma will probably stop making cameras this year or next,
    both sigma cameras and foveon are dead.

    < sound Taps on the bugle >

    Crownfield, Dec 6, 2003
  5. George Preddy, Dec 6, 2003
  6. "Crownfield" <> wrote in message
    > John Doe wrote:
    > >
    > > http://www.foveon.com/prod_f19.html
    > >
    > > I like the picture quality from Foveon sensors. I'm wondering if a
    > > consumer based product is going to be released soon or is there one
    > > already selling?

    > alas, some reviewers think that
    > since foveon has not gotten anyone but sigma to use the sensor,
    > and since sigma will probably stop making cameras this year or next,
    > both sigma cameras and foveon are dead.

    I remember Sigma and Foveon were last declared dead, it was about a week
    before the 10.3MP SD10 was released, along with SPP2, and a major firmware
    update for the SD9.
    George Preddy, Dec 6, 2003
  7. John Doe

    PhotoMan Guest

    "Mark Herring" <> wrote in message

    > If you are George Preddy in disguise, then you know what to expect.
    > (ie what part of "Get Lost" do you not understand?)
    >
    > Assuming you are not GP, then I advise you to do a Google groups
    > search on "Foveon" and "Sigma". You will see that this is a topic
    > we're a bit tired of hearing about. Most people feel that Foveon
    > sensors do NOT offer an advantage over the more common Bayer
    > technology. In fact, many have pointed out how it is inferior.
    > **************************
    > Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.
    > Private e-mail: Just say no to "No".

    There are surely no professional grade cameras using the Foveon sensor.
    Joe Arnold
    PhotoMan, Dec 6, 2003
  8. John Doe

    George Kerby Guest

    Re: fove-gone for 2004 !!!!!!

    On 12/6/03 12:59 PM, in article bqt6eo$ekl$, "George
    Preddy" <> wrote:

    > "Betty Swallocks" <bettystrailerhomeofthe1Ds7awhip&> wrote in
    > message news:bqt78m$ms7$...
    >> see thread on preddy-dictions....

    > http://www.pbase.com/image/23914213/medium.jpg
    > http://www.pbase.com/image/23914216/medium.jpg

    You know what compulsive behavior is, George? Seek professional help...

    George Kerby, Dec 6, 2003
  9. Remember betamax Stevie, your SD-9 is history too....

    Betty Swallocks, Dec 6, 2003
  10. Betty Swallocks, Dec 6, 2003
  11. John Doe

    Crownfield Guest

    George Preddy wrote:

    > "Crownfield" <> wrote in message
    > > John Doe wrote:
    > > >
    > > > http://www.foveon.com/prod_f19.html
    > > >
    > > > I like the picture quality from Foveon sensors. I'm wondering if a
    > > > consumer based product is going to be released soon or is there one
    > > > already selling?

    > > alas, some reviewers think that
    > > since foveon has not gotten anyone but sigma to use the sensor,
    > > and since sigma will probably stop making cameras this year or next,
    > > both sigma cameras and foveon are dead.

    > I remember Sigma and Foveon were last declared dead, it was about a week
    > before the 10.3MP SD10 was released, along with SPP2, and a major firmware
    > update for the SD9.

    10.3MP SD10 :)))
    and my 103.72 mp fuji !!!

    you really are very funny.
    Crownfield, Dec 6, 2003
  12. John Doe

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    John Doe wrote:
    > http://www.foveon.com/prod_f19.html
    >
    > I like the picture quality from Foveon sensors. I'm wondering if a
    > consumer based product is going to be released soon or is there one
    > already selling?

    All Foveon cameras ARE consumer-based products.

    Nice alias George, a bit uninventive though...
    Paolo Pizzi, Dec 6, 2003
  13. John Doe <> wrote in

    > http://www.foveon.com/prod_f19.html
    >
    > I like the picture quality from Foveon sensors. I'm wondering if a
    > consumer based product is going to be released soon or is there one
    > already selling?

    The existing ones are consumer products.
    Mike Latondresse, Dec 6, 2003
  14. John Doe

    Azzz1588 Guest

    In article <>, Crownfield <> writes:

    >both sigma cameras and foveon are dead.

    As much as I dislike GP, this woiuld be a loss to all.
    Not that sigma will stop making camera's, that is a good thing.

    But it would be bad if all work on foevon stopped.
    It IS promising technology !

    Azzz1588, Dec 7, 2003
  15. John Doe

    Trev Guest

    writes:

    > >both sigma cameras and foveon are dead.

    > As much as I dislike GP, this woiuld be a loss to all.
    > Not that sigma will stop making camera's, that is a good thing.
    >
    > But it would be bad if all work on foevon stopped.
    > It IS promising technology !

    Promising yes producing no.
    Trev, Dec 7, 2003
  16. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 12:17:51 +0000, Azzz1588 wrote:
    > In article <>, Crownfield <> writes:
    >
    >>both sigma cameras and foveon are dead.

    > As much as I dislike GP, this woiuld be a loss to all.
    > Not that sigma will stop making camera's, that is a good thing.
    >
    > But it would be bad if all work on foevon stopped.
    > It IS promising technology !

    If it is a promising technology and foveon went out of business, someone
    else would pick it up.
    John Doe, Dec 7, 2003
  17. John Doe

    Mark Herring Guest

    On 07 Dec 2003 12:17:51 GMT, (Azzz1588) wrote:

    >In article <>, Crownfield <> writes:
    >
    >>both sigma cameras and foveon are dead.

    >As much as I dislike GP, this woiuld be a loss to all.
    >Not that sigma will stop making camera's, that is a good thing.
    >
    >But it would be bad if all work on foevon stopped.
    >It IS promising technology !

    Well, maybe.....

    To me "promising technology" is a combination of two things: The
    ability to do something, and a need.

    What many have argued with Foveon is that the NEED is missing---Bayer
    works, the technology is mature, etc. so the market "pull" is
    missing. IE we dont have a problem that needs fixing.

    More narrowly, I think Foveon has a fundamental flaw: When you depend
    on the absorbtion in Silicon to set your spectral channels, you cannot
    control the bandpass shapes. I dont know how this one gets fixed.
    **************************
    Mark Herring, Dec 7, 2003
  18. John Doe

    Steve Young Guest

    > >>Crownfield <> writes:
    > >>both sigma cameras and foveon are dead.

    > > (Azzz1588) wrote:
    > >As much as I dislike GP, this woiuld be a loss to all.
    > >Not that sigma will stop making camera's, that is a good thing.

    > >But it would be bad if all work on foevon stopped.
    > >It IS promising technology !

    >"Mark Herring" <> wrote

    > Well, maybe.....

    > To me "promising technology" is a combination of two things: The
    > ability to do something, and a need.

    > What many have argued with Foveon is that the NEED is missing---Bayer
    > works, the technology is mature, etc. so the market "pull" is
    > missing. IE we dont have a problem that needs fixing.

    > More narrowly, I think Foveon has a fundamental flaw: When you depend
    > on the absorbtion in Silicon to set your spectral channels, you cannot
    > control the bandpass shapes. I dont know how this one gets fixed.
    > **************************

    what an excellent synopsis Mark
    and what a superb discussion on Foveon, this public forum produced :)
    Steve Young, Dec 7, 2003
  19. "John Doe" <> wrote in message
    > http://www.foveon.com/prod_f19.html
    >
    > I like the picture quality from Foveon sensors. I'm wondering if a
    > consumer based product is going to be released soon or is there one
    > already selling?

    Sigma has two models, but they are very poor quality. Nothing worth buying
    with Foveon sensors at this point.
    Steven M. Scharf, Dec 7, 2003
  20. "Betty Swallocks" <bettystrailerhomeofthe1Ds7awhip&> wrote in
    message news:bqtatj$pdd$...
    > Remember betamax Stevie, your SD-9 is history too....

    I rather have great image quality either way. Why choose obsolete
    technology upfront because others cling to it, that makes no sense at all.
    George Preddy, Dec 8, 2003