Are the most Expensive Always Best?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Heidi Manway, Nov 22, 2006.

  1. Heidi Manway

    Heidi Manway Guest

    x-no-archive:yes

    (1) http://snipurl.com/1321r ( Ebay Link using www.snipurl.com
    service )

    (2) http://snipurl.com/1322q

    I am in the market for a good Quality Webcam I have a Dsl connection
    nearly everyone has that nowadays:)

    I was wondering whether it was wise to buy the most expensive Webcam on
    the grounds you get what you pay for I cannot find a decent uptodate
    Independent Webcam Review Magazine Article.

    What have other peoples experiences being with regard to same?

    Heidi
    Heidi Manway, Nov 22, 2006

  2. Heidi Manway

    Evan Platt Guest

    On 22 Nov 2006 10:32:44 -0800, "Heidi Manway" <>
    wrote:

    >I am in the market for a good Quality Webcam I have a Dsl connection
    >nearly everyone has that nowadays:)
    >
    >I was wondering whether it was wise to buy the most expensive Webcam on
    >the grounds you get what you pay for I cannot find a decent uptodate
    >Independent Webcam Review Magazine Article.

    The main thing to look at is the Manufacturer (is it a name you know
    and trust?) The other is resolution.

    What will you be using the webcam for?

    If the webcam does 1280x1024, but you plan on using software that only
    does 640x480, why spend the extra money?
    Evan Platt, Nov 22, 2006

  3. Heidi Manway

    Ron Guest

    "Heidi Manway" <> wrote in message
    > x-no-archive:yes

    The no archive bit doesn't do anything in the body of a message or even if
    correctly placed in the headers and a reply is posted. Your messages are
    still archived.
    Just to save you typing it or thinking it has any effect.

    A webcam is only as good as the fitted lens.
    Ron, Nov 22, 2006
  4. In 24hoursupport.helpdesk, Ron wrote:

    > "Heidi Manway" <> wrote:
    >> x-no-archive:yes
    >>

    > The no archive bit doesn't do anything in the body of a message

    Yes it does, if it is on the first line by itself.

    > or even if correctly placed in the headers and a reply is posted.
    > Your messages are still archived.

    Only the content of the post will be archived by your reply quoting it.
    Her header and posting information will be gone from the archive in
    seven days.

    > Just to save you typing it or thinking it has any effect.

    It is effective, but is kind of silly ...

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 22, 2006
  5. Heidi Manway

    thanatoid Guest

    "Heidi Manway" <> wrote in

    > x-no-archive:yes
    >
    > (1) http://snipurl.com/1321r ( Ebay Link using
    > www.snipurl.com service )
    >

    > (2) http://snipurl.com/1322q
    >

    > I am in the market for a good Quality Webcam I have a Dsl
    > connection nearly everyone has that nowadays:)
    >
    > I was wondering whether it was wise to buy the most
    > expensive Webcam on the grounds you get what you pay for I
    > cannot find a decent uptodate Independent Webcam Review
    > Magazine Article.
    >
    > What have other peoples experiences being with regard to
    > same?
    >
    > Heidi

    If money is no object and you want very good quality, then don't
    buy a "webcam", they're all crap, buy a real video camera or
    camcorder (with a good zoom/macro lens) if possible and use the
    video cable to connect to your computer's video input. You may
    or may not need a plug adapter and/or a card for that connection
    - or you may already have them. In any case, the plugs, cables,
    cards and software are cheap.

    You may already HAVE a good camcorder. Use the video out
    connector.
    thanatoid, Nov 22, 2006
  6. Heidi Manway

    CJL Guest

    > x-no-archive:yes
    >
    > (1) http://snipurl.com/1321r ( Ebay Link using www.snipurl.com
    > service )
    >

    > (2) http://snipurl.com/1322q
    >

    > I am in the market for a good Quality Webcam I have a Dsl connection
    > nearly everyone has that nowadays:)
    >
    > I was wondering whether it was wise to buy the most expensive Webcam on
    > the grounds you get what you pay for I cannot find a decent uptodate
    > Independent Webcam Review Magazine Article.
    >
    > What have other peoples experiences being with regard to same?
    >
    > Heidi

    Whatever you buy make sure that the pickup is CCD and not CMOS. CCD is much
    better in low light conditions, where CMOS needs quite a bit of light. Right
    now I am using a Philips SPC900NC. It is the best webcam I have ever used
    and I have been using webcams for over ten years.
    CJL, Nov 23, 2006
  7. Heidi Manway

    Heidi Manway Guest

    CJL wrote:
    > "Heidi Manway" <> wrote in message
    > > x-no-archive:yes
    > >
    > > (1) http://snipurl.com/1321r ( Ebay Link using www.snipurl.com
    > > service )
    > >

    > > (2) http://snipurl.com/1322q
    > >

    > > I am in the market for a good Quality Webcam I have a Dsl connection
    > > nearly everyone has that nowadays:)
    > >
    > > I was wondering whether it was wise to buy the most expensive Webcam on
    > > the grounds you get what you pay for I cannot find a decent uptodate
    > > Independent Webcam Review Magazine Article.
    > >
    > > What have other peoples experiences being with regard to same?
    > >
    > > Heidi
    > >

    > Whatever you buy make sure that the pickup is CCD and not CMOS. CCD is much
    > better in low light conditions, where CMOS needs quite a bit of light. Right
    > now I am using a Philips SPC900NC. It is the best webcam I have ever used
    > and I have been using webcams for over ten years.

    >>What exactly is CCD? Thanks for your recommendation most appreciated.

    Do you use Msn Messenger or Skype?

    Heidi
    Heidi Manway, Nov 23, 2006
  8. Heidi Manway

    CJL Guest

    > CJL wrote:
    >> "Heidi Manway" <> wrote in message
    >> > x-no-archive:yes
    >> >
    >> > (1) http://snipurl.com/1321r ( Ebay Link using www.snipurl.com
    >> > service )
    >> >

    >> > (2) http://snipurl.com/1322q
    >> >

    >> > I am in the market for a good Quality Webcam I have a Dsl connection
    >> > nearly everyone has that nowadays:)
    >> >
    >> > I was wondering whether it was wise to buy the most expensive Webcam on
    >> > the grounds you get what you pay for I cannot find a decent uptodate
    >> > Independent Webcam Review Magazine Article.
    >> >
    >> > What have other peoples experiences being with regard to same?
    >> >
    >> > Heidi
    >> >

    >> Whatever you buy make sure that the pickup is CCD and not CMOS. CCD is
    >> much
    >> better in low light conditions, where CMOS needs quite a bit of light.
    >> Right
    >> now I am using a Philips SPC900NC. It is the best webcam I have ever
    >> used
    >> and I have been using webcams for over ten years.

    >>>What exactly is CCD? Thanks for your recommendation most appreciated.

    > Do you use Msn Messenger or Skype?
    >
    > Heidi

    CCD stands for charge coupled device, CMOS stands for complementary metal
    oxide semiconductor. It's the part in the camera behind the lens that picks
    up the light and converts it to electricity.

    I use MSN Messenger, Yahoo Messenger, ISPQ and ICUII.

    Hope this helps.

    Chris
    CJL, Nov 23, 2006