    Hoya products like this on ebay are genuine. Are they knockoffs, or
    just an inexplicably good deal?
    , Mar 28, 2006

  2. wrote:
    > These Hoya HMC circular polarizing filters on ebay
    > (http://tinyurl.com/n3yg9) are $28 cheaper than the same ones offered
    > by 2filter.com and $51 cheaper than B&H.
    >
    > I am familiar with "you get what you pay for," etc., and I know that
    > ebay vendors are often untrustworthy.

    Actually my experience has been the opposite. Most ARE trustworthy.
    Check the feedback ratings and comments before you buy and read the
    descriptions, payment, and shipping rates carefully.

    Also be sure you are comparing the same items. Hoya, like others make
    three or four different quality and types of filter. (Something like;
    Standard/Super, HMC, Pro-1, etc- some come with front threads and some
    don't, I believe)

    I am using a HOYA filter I bought on eBay (new) and it looks good to me.

    I think eBay sellers can sell for less because they are not "brick and
    mortar" opperations, - no rent, no employees, no insurance, etc. I
    expect there is a big markup on filters and other accessories at camera
    stores so they can make enough profit to survive as the camera prices
    are kept low. ... Just my 2 cents.

    --
    Seinfeld Lists http://tinyurl.com/f7k9d
    California Photos http://tinyurl.com/ann2l
    TheNewsGuy(Mike), Mar 28, 2006

  3. Rich Guest

    Probably are fine, not some kind of clone out of China. Feedback is
    good so I'd
    say yes they are the real thing. Oh, I like Hoya's illustration of
    polarized light
    on the box, light waves turning circles like a corkscrew!!!
    Rich, Mar 28, 2006
  4. Jeremy Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > I am familiar with "you get what you pay for," etc., and I know that
    > ebay vendors are often untrustworthy. I am wondering, however, if
    > anyone here has actual (perhaps hard won) knowledge of whether or not
    > Hoya products like this on ebay are genuine. Are they knockoffs, or
    > just an inexplicably good deal?

    Actually, Hoya makes 3 different grades of filters, including some made from
    cheap glass. The mere fact that the name "Hoya" appears on the product does
    not necessarily mean that it is one of the better filters. Lots of low-end
    sellers take advantage of the fact that many buyers think that all Hoya
    filters ore of uniform high quality.

    For a really good explanation, check out this online dealer's site:

    http://www.2filter.com/hoya/Hoya.html
    Jeremy, Mar 28, 2006
  5. Eatmorepies Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > These Hoya HMC circular polarizing filters on ebay
    > (http://tinyurl.com/n3yg9) are $28 cheaper than the same ones offered
    > by 2filter.com and $51 cheaper than B&H.
    >
    > I am familiar with "you get what you pay for," etc., and I know that
    > ebay vendors are often untrustworthy. I am wondering, however, if
    > anyone here has actual (perhaps hard won) knowledge of whether or not
    > Hoya products like this on ebay are genuine. Are they knockoffs, or
    > just an inexplicably good deal?

    I have bought Hoya UV filters for lens protection when out and about - not
    the best kind but the ones with a screw thread in the outer ring rather than
    the more expensive ones that use a push on cap. I sourced them in China,
    they looked like the real thing. To test a filter before I bought the rest I
    photographed a bar code from about 3m with a 70-200mm f2.8 L set on f4 at
    about 140mm - with and without the filter.

    The results looked identical to me. Having said that, any extra glass in the
    way of the light can add flare and presumably slows the lens a little. I
    trade off protecting the front element against image degredation I can't
    detect.

    So yes, you can buy off eBay, just use normal common sense when reading
    feedback.

    John
    Eatmorepies, Mar 28, 2006
  6. Guest

    TheNewsGuy(Mike) wrote:
    >I expect there is a big markup on filters and other accessories at camera
    >stores so they can make enough profit to survive as the camera prices
    >are kept low.

    Yes, I have suspected this, too. I get the same feeling when I pay $3
    in Lowes or Home Depot for a pair of machine screws in a little plastic
    bag. Retailers' competition can be cutthroat for big ticket items, but
    they make it up on the little stuff you buy on your way out the door.

    I'm going to buy this ebay filter and keep my fingers crossed.
    , Mar 28, 2006
  7. Roy G Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > These Hoya HMC circular polarizing filters on ebay
    > (http://tinyurl.com/n3yg9) are $28 cheaper than the same ones offered
    > by 2filter.com and $51 cheaper than B&H.
    >
    > I am familiar with "you get what you pay for," etc., and I know that
    > ebay vendors are often untrustworthy. I am wondering, however, if
    > anyone here has actual (perhaps hard won) knowledge of whether or not
    > Hoya products like this on ebay are genuine. Are they knockoffs, or
    > just an inexplicably good deal?

    Hi there.

    I have just received some Hoya filters I purchased via Ebay. They came from
    Hong Kong, and are most certainly the real thing.

    The first one I ordered was a Hoya HMC Pro UV, and it took just 3 days to
    get here. The next 2 took about 6 days.

    They were miles below the UK price. £15 against anything up to £60 for the
    77mm size. The dealer involved was KEA, and the steps in the transaction
    were each covered by Emails. "We confirm your order" - "We have your
    payment" - "Parcel despatched by Post today". Very slick and helpfull.

    It goes without saying, I don't have any connections other than as a
    customer.

    Roy G
    Roy G, Mar 28, 2006
  8. george Guest

    "Jeremy" <> wrote in message
    > <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> I am familiar with "you get what you pay for," etc., and I know that
    >> ebay vendors are often untrustworthy. I am wondering, however, if
    >> anyone here has actual (perhaps hard won) knowledge of whether or not
    >> Hoya products like this on ebay are genuine. Are they knockoffs, or
    >> just an inexplicably good deal?
    >>

    > Actually, Hoya makes 3 different grades of filters, including some made
    > from cheap glass. The mere fact that the name "Hoya" appears on the
    > product does not necessarily mean that it is one of the better filters.
    > Lots of low-end sellers take advantage of the fact that many buyers think
    > that all Hoya filters ore of uniform high quality.
    >
    > For a really good explanation, check out this online dealer's site:
    >
    > http://www.2filter.com/hoya/Hoya.html

    My take on this has always been (right? wrong? website doesn't contradict
    this) that the quality of the filter glass is the same...the difference is
    in whether the filter is uncoated, mono-coated on both sides, or multicoated
    AND the latest twist, the thickness of the mount.
    george, Mar 28, 2006
  9. In article <>, Rich
    <> writes

    >Oh, I like Hoya's illustration of
    >polarized light
    >on the box, light waves turning circles like a corkscrew!!!

    If only it was right (sigh)!

    Its the EM vector of the wave that is helical, not the light wave
    itself!
    --
    Kennedy
    Kennedy McEwen, Mar 30, 2006
  10. In article <>, Eatmorepies
    <> writes

    >To test a filter before I bought the rest I
    >photographed a bar code from about 3m with a 70-200mm f2.8 L set on f4 at
    >about 140mm - with and without the filter.
    >
    >The results looked identical to me.

    Hardly a significant test really. Try the same thing with the bar code
    stuck to a glass window with the sun just out of the field of view -
    that will sort the men from the boys, or the coats from the uncoats, in
    this case.
    --
    Kennedy
    Kennedy McEwen, Mar 30, 2006