    It wouldn't be so bad if they had reasonable charges for replacement
    lasers but they don't. $250 to 'repair' a fucked philips recorder is a
    ridiculous ripoff.
    Canon Paora Tikitiki, Jul 12, 2005

  2. Canon Paora Tikitiki

    Tony Guest

    On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 09:22:10 GMT, (Canon Paora Tikitiki)
    wrote:

    >I see so many posts on usenet and other forums about 'broken' dvd
    >recorders - fucked lasers etc. Philips seem to be the worse of them
    >all and that seems to be backed up by desperate philips owners getting
    >rid of their crap on trademe.
    >
    >It wouldn't be so bad if they had reasonable charges for replacement
    >lasers but they don't. $250 to 'repair' a fucked philips recorder is a
    >ridiculous ripoff.

    No its not go look at the Price for a Laser block, the basic Laser block for
    just a CD player can cost $132 Trade and that is a low end one..

    In some cases you have to buy the whole Laser tray asm, ie with the motors,
    sled rails etc..
    Tony, Jul 12, 2005

  3. Canon Paora Tikitiki

    Guest

    Canon Paora Tikitiki wrote:
    > I see so many posts on usenet and other forums about 'broken' dvd
    > recorders - fucked lasers etc. Philips seem to be the worse of them
    > all and that seems to be backed up by desperate philips owners getting
    > rid of their crap on trademe.
    >
    > It wouldn't be so bad if they had reasonable charges for replacement
    > lasers but they don't. $250 to 'repair' a fucked philips recorder is a
    > ridiculous ripoff.

    Given the price of a PC burner and the fact of being locked into the
    manufacturers parts, the repair does not look that bad.

    At $250 I would look at buying new.

    regards

    Thing
    , Jul 12, 2005
  4. Canon Paora Tikitiki

    Richard Guest

    wrote:

    > Given the price of a PC burner and the fact of being locked into the
    > manufacturers parts, the repair does not look that bad.
    >
    > At $250 I would look at buying new.

    PC burners are about $80 now - and thats a 16x one.

    mpeg2 capture cards are about $100 now for a cheap leadtek or similar. So theres
    all you need less PC for a DVD recorder.

    Throw that into an old computer with an 80 gig hard drive and you have something
    that will do what the standalone recorder will do, and so much more as well.

    If your keen, spring for a copy of windows media center edition, otherwise try
    some of the free stuff or something like showshifter and yeah, the standalone
    recorder looks pretty crippled in comparison
    Richard, Jul 13, 2005
  5. Canon Paora Tikitiki

    nospam Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Given the price of a PC burner and the fact of being locked into the
    >> manufacturers parts, the repair does not look that bad.
    >>
    >> At $250 I would look at buying new.

    > PC burners are about $80 now - and thats a 16x one.
    >
    > mpeg2 capture cards are about $100 now for a cheap leadtek or similar. So
    > theres all you need less PC for a DVD recorder.
    >
    > Throw that into an old computer with an 80 gig hard drive and you have
    > something that will do what the standalone recorder will do, and so much
    > more as well.
    >
    > If your keen, spring for a copy of windows media center edition, otherwise
    > try some of the free stuff or something like showshifter and yeah, the
    > standalone recorder looks pretty crippled in comparison

    I love the way you make it sound so easy. I've been pursuing this sort of
    setup for the last couple of years - dont ask my wife how much time and
    money I've invested in this so far.... The software is just not ready for
    this.

    A standalone peice of consumer electronics is much easier to use and
    probably a much a better buy for anyone that wants a nice, easy to use,
    reliable solution.
    nospam, Jul 13, 2005
  6. Canon Paora Tikitiki

    thing2 Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Given the price of a PC burner and the fact of being locked into the
    >> manufacturers parts, the repair does not look that bad.
    >>
    >> At $250 I would look at buying new.

    > PC burners are about $80 now - and thats a 16x one.
    >
    > mpeg2 capture cards are about $100 now for a cheap leadtek or similar.
    > So theres all you need less PC for a DVD recorder.
    >
    > Throw that into an old computer with an 80 gig hard drive and you have
    > something that will do what the standalone recorder will do, and so much
    > more as well.
    >
    > If your keen, spring for a copy of windows media center edition,
    > otherwise try some of the free stuff or something like showshifter and
    > yeah, the standalone recorder looks pretty crippled in comparison

    While buying OEM or retail, the burner is in a competitive market, when
    it comes to parts, vendors charge as much as they like, the price
    reflects that, hence its often more cost effective to buy new rather
    than fork out on a substantial repair.

    An old computer needs maintainance, an OS, setup, looking after.....and
    just how much is Windows media centre alone? $200?

    Not that I would buy / use it anyway....

    regards

    thing
    thing2, Jul 13, 2005
  7. Canon Paora Tikitiki

    S Roby Guest

    In article <1121160132.dfc338511f0c5f4484aa3e5fb28bfe77@teranews>, (Canon Paora Tikitiki) wrote:

    >I see so many posts on usenet and other forums about 'broken' dvd
    >recorders - fucked lasers etc. Philips seem to be the worse of them
    >all and that seems to be backed up by desperate philips owners getting
    >rid of their crap on trademe.
    >
    >It wouldn't be so bad if they had reasonable charges for replacement
    >lasers but they don't. $250 to 'repair' a fucked philips recorder is a
    >ridiculous ripoff.

    I took this into account when I bought my DVDRec. I got a DSE/Mustek brand
    thinking that IF it dies I only loose $300 max. (Its far from perfect but does
    the job)
    Also it uses a PC DVD mechanism, (IDE cable & all) so repairs may just be a
    matter of swapping out the whole unit with a (Ricoh)PC DVDR.
    I did this with my standalone CD recorder, Philips wanted $300+ for a spindle
    motor (they only sold the whole mechanism)
    I just bought an old Philips IDE CDR for $5 & used parts out of that.

    Also prices are dropping in a big way so I couldnt bring myself to spend
    $1000+ unit knowing just how little it would be worth in a year.
    S Roby, Jul 13, 2005
  8. Canon Paora Tikitiki

    Richard Guest

    thing2 wrote:

    > While buying OEM or retail, the burner is in a competitive market, when
    > it comes to parts, vendors charge as much as they like, the price
    > reflects that, hence its often more cost effective to buy new rather
    > than fork out on a substantial repair.
    >
    > An old computer needs maintainance, an OS, setup, looking after.....and
    > just how much is Windows media centre alone? $200?
    >
    > Not that I would buy / use it anyway....

    So go open source with one of the live cd pvr distros.

    Fact is, the PC will be a hell of a lot more usefull then a standalone dvd/hdd
    recorder. Look at what the panasonic one with ethernet costs, and theres still
    no way to get your recordings off it to a PC other then to burn to DVD and then
    go rip it later.

    If you go for a PC, you can also do things that are not allowed on the hardware
    ones like back a DVD up to the HDD to watch later.
    Richard, Jul 13, 2005
  9. Canon Paora Tikitiki

    Richard Guest

    nospam wrote:

    > I love the way you make it sound so easy. I've been pursuing this sort of
    > setup for the last couple of years - dont ask my wife how much time and
    > money I've invested in this so far.... The software is just not ready for
    > this.
    >
    > A standalone peice of consumer electronics is much easier to use and
    > probably a much a better buy for anyone that wants a nice, easy to use,
    > reliable solution.

    Have you even used XP media center? Its really really good at what it does. The
    only thing I could see letting it down was the lack of a decent guide, but that
    may have changed.

    Standalone CE stuff is very limited in what it can do, some of it by design (no
    copying recorded shows off it)
    Richard, Jul 13, 2005
  10. Canon Paora Tikitiki

    cowboyz Guest

    On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 15:06:43 +1200, nospam <> wrote:

    > "Richard" <> wrote in message
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Given the price of a PC burner and the fact of being locked into the
    >>> manufacturers parts, the repair does not look that bad.
    >>>
    >>> At $250 I would look at buying new.

    >> PC burners are about $80 now - and thats a 16x one.
    >>
    >> mpeg2 capture cards are about $100 now for a cheap leadtek or similar.
    >> So
    >> theres all you need less PC for a DVD recorder.
    >>
    >> Throw that into an old computer with an 80 gig hard drive and you have
    >> something that will do what the standalone recorder will do, and so much
    >> more as well.
    >>
    >> If your keen, spring for a copy of windows media center edition,
    >> otherwise
    >> try some of the free stuff or something like showshifter and yeah, the
    >> standalone recorder looks pretty crippled in comparison

    > I love the way you make it sound so easy. I've been pursuing this sort of
    > setup for the last couple of years - dont ask my wife how much time and
    > money I've invested in this so far.... The software is just not ready for
    > this.
    >
    > A standalone peice of consumer electronics is much easier to use and
    > probably a much a better buy for anyone that wants a nice, easy to use,
    > reliable solution.

    agreed. I have a tv card and an ok machine and yes I can record/edit and
    put to DVD on the PC but it is just so much easier and less time wasting
    to use my standalone DVDR. I wish I could find software that will do
    exactly what my standalone DVDR does. (which happens to be a panasonic
    BTW)
    --
    Luck usually comes to those who do not include it in their plans.
    cowboyz, Jul 13, 2005
  11. Canon Paora Tikitiki

    Tony Guest

    On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 05:36:57 GMT, le (S Roby) wrote:

    >In article <1121160132.dfc338511f0c5f4484aa3e5fb28bfe77@teranews>, (Canon Paora Tikitiki) wrote:
    >>
    >>I see so many posts on usenet and other forums about 'broken' dvd
    >>recorders - fucked lasers etc. Philips seem to be the worse of them
    >>all and that seems to be backed up by desperate philips owners getting
    >>rid of their crap on trademe.
    >>
    >>It wouldn't be so bad if they had reasonable charges for replacement
    >>lasers but they don't. $250 to 'repair' a fucked philips recorder is a
    >>ridiculous ripoff.

    >I took this into account when I bought my DVDRec. I got a DSE/Mustek brand
    >thinking that IF it dies I only loose $300 max. (Its far from perfect but does
    >the job)
    >Also it uses a PC DVD mechanism, (IDE cable & all) so repairs may just be a
    >matter of swapping out the whole unit with a (Ricoh)PC DVDR.
    >I did this with my standalone CD recorder, Philips wanted $300+ for a spindle
    >motor (they only sold the whole mechanism)
    >I just bought an old Philips IDE CDR for $5 & used parts out of that.
    >
    >Also prices are dropping in a big way so I couldnt bring myself to spend
    >$1000+ unit knowing just how little it would be worth in a year.

    The Problem with ALL current Models is that they can Only record 2 hours at
    VCR quality.

    And having a Hard Drive does not count as I can't fit that into my Mates DVD
    Player..
    Tony, Jul 13, 2005
  12. Canon Paora Tikitiki

    SteveM Guest

    "nospam" <> wrote in

    > "Richard" <> wrote in message
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Given the price of a PC burner and the fact of being locked into the
    >>> manufacturers parts, the repair does not look that bad.
    >>>
    >>> At $250 I would look at buying new.

    >> PC burners are about $80 now - and thats a 16x one.
    >>
    >> mpeg2 capture cards are about $100 now for a cheap leadtek or
    >> similar. So theres all you need less PC for a DVD recorder.
    >>
    >> Throw that into an old computer with an 80 gig hard drive and you
    >> have something that will do what the standalone recorder will do, and
    >> so much more as well.
    >>
    >> If your keen, spring for a copy of windows media center edition,
    >> otherwise try some of the free stuff or something like showshifter
    >> and yeah, the standalone recorder looks pretty crippled in comparison

    > I love the way you make it sound so easy. I've been pursuing this sort
    > of setup for the last couple of years - dont ask my wife how much time
    > and money I've invested in this so far.... The software is just not
    > ready for this.
    >
    > A standalone peice of consumer electronics is much easier to use and
    > probably a much a better buy for anyone that wants a nice, easy to
    > use, reliable solution.

    Try GB-PVR www.gbpvr.com. You might be surprised.................

    SteveM
    SteveM, Jul 13, 2005
  13. Canon Paora Tikitiki

    Daver Guest

    Obviously don't own one.

    Daver, Jul 13, 2005
  14. Canon Paora Tikitiki

    Daver Guest

    Tried the PC thing but a standalone is so much more convenient and only uses
    a couple of watts of power when switched off.

    Daver, Jul 13, 2005
  15. In article <Jw2Be.234$>,
    le (S Roby) wrote:

    >Also it uses a PC DVD mechanism, (IDE cable & all) so repairs may just be a
    >matter of swapping out the whole unit with a (Ricoh)PC DVDR.

    That may not be enough. It's always possible that it's a unit with a
    special identification ROM that the recorder can query.

    Apple used to be notorious for this. Their CD-ROM drives might have been
    made by Sony, and their hard drives by Seagate or IBM or whoever, but
    the ROM would mark it as Apple-branded. For instance, Macs would not
    boot off CD/DVD drives that weren't Apple-branded.
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jul 13, 2005
  16. Canon Paora Tikitiki

    Tony Guest

    On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 20:24:50 +1200, "Daver" <> wrote:

    >Obviously don't own one.

    Yes I don't buy Shit..

    If it looks like shit and smells like shit it must be shit..

    Yes I am a tech and do know some thing about the subject..

    Tony, Jul 13, 2005
  17. Canon Paora Tikitiki

    Tony Guest

    On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 20:28:19 +1200, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    >In article <Jw2Be.234$>,
    > le (S Roby) wrote:
    >
    >>Also it uses a PC DVD mechanism, (IDE cable & all) so repairs may just be a
    >>matter of swapping out the whole unit with a (Ricoh)PC DVDR.

    >That may not be enough. It's always possible that it's a unit with a
    >special identification ROM that the recorder can query.
    >
    >Apple used to be notorious for this. Their CD-ROM drives might have been
    >made by Sony, and their hard drives by Seagate or IBM or whoever, but
    >the ROM would mark it as Apple-branded. For instance, Macs would not
    >boot off CD/DVD drives that weren't Apple-branded.

    Same thing with MS Xbox..
    Tony, Jul 13, 2005
  18. On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 09:22:10 GMT, (Canon Paora
    Tikitiki) wrote:

    >I see so many posts on usenet and other forums about 'broken' dvd
    >recorders - fucked lasers etc. Philips seem to be the worse of them
    >all and that seems to be backed up by desperate philips owners getting
    >rid of their crap on trademe.
    >
    >It wouldn't be so bad if they had reasonable charges for replacement
    >lasers but they don't. $250 to 'repair' a fucked philips recorder is a
    >ridiculous ripoff.

    all lasers have limited life
    cd platers wear out after a few years
    so its nothing to expect a dvd player the same
    FreedomChooser, Jul 13, 2005
  19. Canon Paora Tikitiki

    nospam Guest

    "SteveM" <> wrote in message
    > "nospam" <> wrote in
    >
    >> "Richard" <> wrote in message

    >>> PC burners are about $80 now - and thats a 16x one.
    >>>
    >>> mpeg2 capture cards are about $100 now for a cheap leadtek or
    >>> similar. So theres all you need less PC for a DVD recorder.
    >>>
    >>> Throw that into an old computer with an 80 gig hard drive and you
    >>> have something that will do what the standalone recorder will do, and
    >>> so much more as well.
    >>>
    >>> If your keen, spring for a copy of windows media center edition,
    >>> otherwise try some of the free stuff or something like showshifter
    >>> and yeah, the standalone recorder looks pretty crippled in comparison

    >> I love the way you make it sound so easy. I've been pursuing this sort
    >> of setup for the last couple of years - dont ask my wife how much time
    >> and money I've invested in this so far.... The software is just not
    >> ready for this.
    >>
    >> A standalone peice of consumer electronics is much easier to use and
    >> probably a much a better buy for anyone that wants a nice, easy to
    >> use, reliable solution.
    >>

    > Try GB-PVR www.gbpvr.com. You might be surprised.................
    >
    > SteveM

    Considering I'm the author of GB-PVR, I'm guessing I wont be that
    surprised...
    nospam, Jul 13, 2005
  20. Canon Paora Tikitiki

    nospam Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > nospam wrote:
    >
    >> I love the way you make it sound so easy. I've been pursuing this sort of
    >> setup for the last couple of years - dont ask my wife how much time and
    >> money I've invested in this so far.... The software is just not ready for
    >> this.
    >>
    >> A standalone peice of consumer electronics is much easier to use and
    >> probably a much a better buy for anyone that wants a nice, easy to use,
    >> reliable solution.

    > Have you even used XP media center? Its really really good at what it
    > does. The only thing I could see letting it down was the lack of a decent
    > guide, but that may have changed.

    Yes, I'm very familiar with it, but it doesnt solve the poster's suggestion
    of using a TV card and DVD burner instead of buying a standalone DVD
    recorder.

    > Standalone CE stuff is very limited in what it can do, some of it by
    > design (no copying recorded shows off it)

    Agreed, but being limited isnt always a bad thing. Okay, DRM can be a pain,
    but for most people that just want to record TV, and then archive to DVD,
    this isnt going to be a problem.

    Dont get me wrong, I like the control you can have from a roll-you-own
    solution, and infact, I developed my own. I'm the author of GB-PVR from
    http://www.gbpvr.com. My point was, I've yet to see a PC based solution that
    is as streamlined and easy to use as the off the shelf consumer electronics
    equipment.

    It ultimately depends how much tinkering the user wants (or is willing) to
    do.
    nospam, Jul 13, 2005