    Can I trust Measure Up's software to tell me I am prepared for the Exam?

    Clueless for my first cert,

    Charlie
    Charlie Russell, Oct 8, 2004

  2. Charlie Russell

    Guest Guest

    Hi Charlie,

    I used the Microsoft Press Book for the 70-272 exam and
    founds that the practice tests by Measuer Up did not
    prepare me well for the exam. I did pass the exam but felt
    it was due to my previous education and hands on
    experience. I do think it is best to use different tests
    and study materials in addition to hands on experience to
    get you through these exams. I have used Transcender
    practice exams for other tests and felt they prepared me
    better than the Measure Up test did. Everyone will have
    different opinions so get the hands ons experience and
    study hard and you will be fine.

    Feral Geek

    as well as Exam
    >Cram 2 and both come with a practice exam. My question

    is, how close does
    >this match the actual exam?
    >
    >I take these tests and do fine, but when I go out on the

    internet and look
    >at other practice tests they are 10 times harder. I look

    at the TestKing
    >test and it has wrong answers and seems to be hurting more

    than helping.

    Guest, Oct 9, 2004

  3. Charlie Russell

    SJ Guest

    In general, my experience is that the Microsoft Press books NEVER have
    prepared me well for any Microsoft test. The actual tests always
    seem to go much deeper.

    Full Measure Up online tests are much better than what's included in
    the book. And if you purchase the full practice tests they come with
    a guarantee - the guarantee changes, so check their site for what it
    is currently.

    Transcender have been very good in years past; the company was sold in
    the last couple of years and newer tests haven't gotten as favorable
    review. For the 271 though, I don't see why they wouldn't be good,
    but I can't vouch for them.

    Good for you recognizing that TestKing has wrong answers. This is not
    considered to be a good study resource - many people consider using
    TestKing as outright cheating.

    sj
    www.certquest.net

    SJ, Oct 10, 2004
  4. Charlie Russell

    Guest

    "so get the hands ons experience and
    >study hard and you will be fine."

    Hi,
    with all due respect, I thought the MCDST is for those
    who are trying to get the experience. I am considering
    this cert because I would like to get my "foot in the
    door" in this industry. I am in the construction business
    and the only experience I have is from my own pc's as a
    hobby. With a career change in mind, how does one get
    more experience if not yet employed in the IT field?
    Thank you, Joseph

    , Oct 12, 2004
  5. Charlie Russell

    Guest Guest

    Hi Joseph,

    I understand your situation as I am also trying to break
    into the IT field. I have a mentor who takes me on side
    jobs at night and lets me troubleshoot PC and Network
    problems. Another way I get hands on experience is by
    setting up a home network and practicing with that. You
    can also get Virtual PC from Microsoft which will simulate
    a network environment and you can also order Windows Server
    2003 trial edition (180 day) from Microsoft for free and
    install it on a PC and set-up your own network if you have
    other PC's to Network. If at all possible, find a way to
    get someone (or a company which will let you intern)to let
    you learn hands-on even if you have to work for free at
    night. It's the best way to learn. I passed the 70-272 but
    felt if I had not had some practical experience, I would
    have failed it. Most of the questions from the Microsoft
    Press book and CD did not prepare me for the exam. I did
    learn a lot from the book and CD but it did not prepare me
    well to pass the exam. Hope some of this helps and if you
    enjoy doing this kind of work, keep learning and trying to
    get any hands-on you can. I do PC work for friends,
    family, neighbors, etc.. for free just to get more
    experience. I have got my A+, Network+ and MCP all through
    self study. Good luck
    Feral Geek

    Guest, Oct 12, 2004