    know if TrueCrypt allows the use of passphrases instead of a mere
    password? If so, how many characters, with spaces, are allowed?
    , Dec 9, 2009

  2. Mike Easter Guest

    wrote:
    > I thinking of using TrueCrypt to encrypt my C: drive. Does anyone
    > know if TrueCrypt allows the use of passphrases instead of a mere
    > password? If so, how many characters, with spaces, are allowed?

    64

    Pic of TrueCrypt Wizard pw instructions:

    http://www.truecrypt.org/images/docs/tutorial-v5.0-08.png

    If you want additional information, the front page of the tutorial/docs
    is here http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Dec 9, 2009

  3. Guest

    On Wed, 9 Dec 2009 12:23:50 -0800, "Mike Easter" <>
    wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> I thinking of using TrueCrypt to encrypt my C: drive. Does anyone
    >> know if TrueCrypt allows the use of passphrases instead of a mere
    >> password? If so, how many characters, with spaces, are allowed?

    >64
    >
    >Pic of TrueCrypt Wizard pw instructions:
    >
    >http://www.truecrypt.org/images/docs/tutorial-v5.0-08.png
    >
    >If you want additional information, the front page of the tutorial/docs
    >is here http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/

    I did find the FAQ and other docs, but missed the pic you posted.
    That kind of answers my question. Thanks much.

    You know, I really don't understand this stuff about constructing
    passwords or passphrases of the type TrueCrypt recommends, such as
    with number, punctuation, etc. Who can remember that slop. Added to
    that is the contrary advise on the Diceware page, complete with math,
    that argues randomly chosen words cannot be cracked that easily.

    http://world.std.com/~reinhold/diceware.html
    http://world.std.com/~reinhold/dicewarefaq.html

    I've always stuck with multi word passphrases. They are a heck of a
    lot easier to remember. So far, I have never forgotten a diceware
    passphrase, and I've been using them for some years with BestCrypt and
    other encryption programs.

    Whatever....

    Thanks again.
    , Dec 10, 2009
  4. Mike Easter Guest

    wrote:

    > the contrary advise on the Diceware page, complete with math,
    > that argues randomly chosen words cannot be cracked that easily.

    There is some good information and also links on the diceware pages.

    > I've always stuck with multi word passphrases. They are a heck of a
    > lot easier to remember. So far, I have never forgotten a diceware
    > passphrase, and I've been using them for some years with BestCrypt and
    > other encryption programs.

    One of the links there - at the diceware page - I like is the one on
    'shocking nonsense'. I'll paste a couple of sentences from the article
    below.

    http://www.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/~conrad/krypto/passphrase-faq.html
    Passphrase FAQ - FAQ: How do I choose a good password or phrase? -
    "Shocking nonsense" means to make up a short phrase or sentence that is
    both nonsensical and shocking in the culture of the user, that is, it
    contains grossly obscene, racist, impossible or other extreme
    juxtaposition of ideas. This technique is permissable because the
    passphrase, by its nature, is never revealed to anyone with
    sensibilities to be offended. -- When you are permitted to use
    passphrases of arbitrary length (in PGP for example) it is not necessary
    to further perturb your 'shocking nonsense' passphrase to include
    numbers or special symbols because the pool of word choices is already
    very high. Not needing those special symbols or numbers (that are not
    intrinsically meaningful) makes the shocking nonsense passphrase that
    much easier to remember.

    64 characters is plenty of 'room' for a nice 'long' shocking nonsense
    passphrase.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Dec 10, 2009
  5. Guest

    On Wed, 9 Dec 2009 19:50:20 -0800, "Mike Easter" <>
    wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    >> the contrary advise on the Diceware page, complete with math,
    >> that argues randomly chosen words cannot be cracked that easily.

    >There is some good information and also links on the diceware pages.
    >
    >> I've always stuck with multi word passphrases. They are a heck of a
    >> lot easier to remember. So far, I have never forgotten a diceware
    >> passphrase, and I've been using them for some years with BestCrypt and
    >> other encryption programs.

    >One of the links there - at the diceware page - I like is the one on
    >'shocking nonsense'. I'll paste a couple of sentences from the article
    >below.
    >
    >http://www.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/~conrad/krypto/passphrase-faq.html
    >Passphrase FAQ - FAQ: How do I choose a good password or phrase? -
    >"Shocking nonsense" means to make up a short phrase or sentence that is
    >both nonsensical and shocking in the culture of the user, that is, it
    >contains grossly obscene, racist, impossible or other extreme
    >juxtaposition of ideas. This technique is permissable because the
    >passphrase, by its nature, is never revealed to anyone with
    >sensibilities to be offended. -- When you are permitted to use
    >passphrases of arbitrary length (in PGP for example) it is not necessary
    >to further perturb your 'shocking nonsense' passphrase to include
    >numbers or special symbols because the pool of word choices is already
    >very high. Not needing those special symbols or numbers (that are not
    >intrinsically meaningful) makes the shocking nonsense passphrase that
    >much easier to remember.
    >
    >64 characters is plenty of 'room' for a nice 'long' shocking nonsense
    >passphrase.

    I have in use now 2 of those 'nonsense' type passphrases. *
    , Dec 10, 2009
  6. Guest

    On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 05:53:45 -0600, wrote:

    >I have in use now 2 of those 'nonsense' type passphrases. *

    It's too early. I hit the Send instead of Enter. I meant to add, I
    wonder how many people have futzed themselves forgetting those
    uppercase-lower case-numerical-punctuation type passwords/passphrases?
    I read post from them quite frequently begging God - or anyone, for
    info on some nonexisting 'backdoor'. :0)

    Thanks again for answering.
    , Dec 10, 2009
  7. On Wed, 09 Dec 2009 20:02:52 -0600, wrote:

    > You know, I really don't understand this stuff about constructing
    > passwords or passphrases of the type TrueCrypt recommends, such as
    > with number, punctuation, etc. Who can remember that slop.

    Anyone who really needs to secure his data.
    --
    A fireside chat not with Ari!
    http://tr.im/holj
    ♥Ari♥, Dec 10, 2009