    Do they still do that?...

    --
    Remove NOSPAM to reply

    Ric Kaysen, Aug 19, 2004

  2. Ric Kaysen

    Larry Guest

    Go to B&H and you can! I've done it several times both by walking in and by
    ordering online. Wouldn't know about the tax saving scheme though.
    Larry

    "Ric Kaysen" <> wrote in message
    > I haven't purchased a new camera in New York for many years, so I've been
    > lurking around some of the customer feedback pages. Looks like some pretty
    > horrible experiences in a few places. I don't plan on ordering by phone

    and
    > setting myself up for problems. If I walk into one of the big photo stores
    > with cash in hand, can I really expect to walk out with, say, a Sony f828
    > for the advertised price?...with a USA warranty?...with all the stuff that
    > supposed to be in the box? Back in the day, they used to let you take the
    > camera and ship the empty box with a wink and a nod to save you on the

    tax.

    Larry, Aug 20, 2004

  3. Ric Kaysen

    leo Guest

    "Larry" <> wrote in message
    > Go to B&H and you can! I've done it several times both by walking in and
    > by
    > ordering online. Wouldn't know about the tax saving scheme though.
    > Larry
    >
    > "Ric Kaysen" <> wrote in message
    >> I haven't purchased a new camera in New York for many years, so I've been
    >> lurking around some of the customer feedback pages. Looks like some
    >> pretty
    >> horrible experiences in a few places. I don't plan on ordering by phone

    > and
    >> setting myself up for problems. If I walk into one of the big photo
    >> stores
    >> with cash in hand, can I really expect to walk out with, say, a Sony f828
    >> for the advertised price?...with a USA warranty?...with all the stuff
    >> that
    >> supposed to be in the box? Back in the day, they used to let you take the
    >> camera and ship the empty box with a wink and a nod to save you on the

    > tax.
    >> Do they still do that?...
    >>
    >> --
    >> Remove NOSPAM to reply

    I don't think any respectable retailers would do that anymore. A few months
    ago, a friend of mine went to a retail store in NYC to buy a laptop. They
    also have an Internet division and the price there is much better. Of course
    you can bargain for a good price at the store, but you have to pay sale tax.
    [BTW, my friend lives outside of NY state.] After half an hour, my friend
    bought a computer bag which would be shipped to his address and he bought
    the laptop at Internet price and carry it out without tax.

    leo, Aug 20, 2004
  4. Ric Kaysen

    Paul J Gans Guest

    leo <> wrote:
    >"Larry" <> wrote in message
    >> Go to B&H and you can! I've done it several times both by walking in and
    >> by
    >> ordering online. Wouldn't know about the tax saving scheme though.
    >> Larry
    >>
    >> "Ric Kaysen" <> wrote in message
    >>> I haven't purchased a new camera in New York for many years, so I've been
    >>> lurking around some of the customer feedback pages. Looks like some
    >>> pretty
    >>> horrible experiences in a few places. I don't plan on ordering by phone

    >> and
    >>> setting myself up for problems. If I walk into one of the big photo
    >>> stores
    >>> with cash in hand, can I really expect to walk out with, say, a Sony f828
    >>> for the advertised price?...with a USA warranty?...with all the stuff
    >>> that
    >>> supposed to be in the box? Back in the day, they used to let you take the
    >>> camera and ship the empty box with a wink and a nod to save you on the

    >> tax.
    >>> Do they still do that?...
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Remove NOSPAM to reply

    >I don't think any respectable retailers would do that anymore. A few months
    >ago, a friend of mine went to a retail store in NYC to buy a laptop. They
    >also have an Internet division and the price there is much better. Of course
    >you can bargain for a good price at the store, but you have to pay sale tax.
    >[BTW, my friend lives outside of NY state.] After half an hour, my friend
    >bought a computer bag which would be shipped to his address and he bought
    >the laptop at Internet price and carry it out without tax.

    I don't think that places like B&H will do that. It is
    decidedly illegal and no honest retailer needs the
    aggravation and bad publicity getting caught would bring.

    ----- Paul J. Gans

    Paul J Gans, Aug 20, 2004
  5. Ric Kaysen

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    I've been buying from adorama for over 15 years and have only good things to
    say about them. Most of the NY dealers are crooks.
    http://www.adoramacamera.com

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony Spadaro, Aug 20, 2004
  6. Ric Kaysen

    Ric Kaysen Guest

    The advertised prices at B&H are the same as my local Best Buy in NJ and the
    NY taxes are higher. Is there some other reason I should go there?

    --
    Remove NOSPAM to reply

    Ric Kaysen, Aug 20, 2004
  7. Ric Kaysen

    leo Guest

    "Ric Kaysen" <> wrote in message
    > The advertised prices at B&H are the same as my local Best Buy in NJ and
    > the
    > NY taxes are higher. Is there some other reason I should go there?

    Only for professional photographic, audio, video equipment, lighting and
    accessories that few places carry. For many consumer video/audio/camera
    items, you can find much better price elsewhere.

    leo, Aug 20, 2004
  8. i agree that you can find things slightly cheaper than b&h, but not with the
    same level of service or return policies. b&h offers consistently amazing
    values for such a honest and reputable dealer. pay less get less, pay more
    get less... i think they are the best value going. adorama is also good
    but they don't have much in the way of a showroom, so you have to know what
    you want going in... calumet has a nice showroom and good service but their
    prices are no bargains.

    Christopher Muto, Aug 20, 2004
  9. Ric Kaysen

    Clyde Torres Guest

    "Larry" <> wrote in message
    > Go to B&H and you can! I've done it several times both by walking in and

    by
    > ordering online. Wouldn't know about the tax saving scheme though.
    > Larry

    I don't know about this B&H place. I went there about five years ago
    intending to buy a camera, and I casually asked the salesman where Houston
    Street was. He said "It's not pronounced 'Houston' like the city, it's
    pronounced 'Houston'. " I said "Well, that's not how they pronounce it in
    Houston, Texas." He said "We don't care how they pronounce it in Houston,
    TX! The correct pronunciation is 'Houston'." I said "Well, they certainly
    care how they pronounce 'Houston' in Houston, TX, because it was named after
    Sam Houston! Do you honestly think there are two Houston families running
    around in the United States, and they pronounce it differently?" This guy
    started screaming that Texans didn't know how in the hell to pronounce
    anything, and he lost a camera sell. Heck, I'm not even from Texas, but I
    cannot handle a salesman screaming at me just because they don't know how to
    pronounce Houston Street correctly.

    Clyde Torres

    Clyde Torres, Aug 21, 2004
  10. "Tony Spadaro" <> wrote in message
    > I've been buying from adorama for over 15 years and have only good things

    > say about them. Most of the NY dealers are crooks.
    > http://www.adoramacamera.com

    That is a safe way to see things. I have to agree. I've purchase a few
    items from Adorama and I will not hesitate to do so again. I particularly
    like Cameta Camera. I can walk-in when I want to and sometimes one has to
    handle the goods before buying.

    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Aug 21, 2004
  11. Ric Kaysen

    Udie Lafing Guest

    Sounds like you pissed him off,.and he was shouting for a good reason.

    --
    ?
    ?

    Udie Lafing, Aug 21, 2004
  12. "Ric Kaysen" <> writes:

    > The advertised prices at B&H are the same as my local Best Buy in NJ and the
    > NY taxes are higher. Is there some other reason I should go there?

    Hmmm, I didn't know Best Buy sold Stroboframe flash brackets, Cokin filters,
    studio lights, etc. Funny I never see any speciality items in Best Buy, just
    the same old consumer cameras and little in the way of accessories.... Not to
    mention the knowledgeable staff that works at Best Buy :)

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:

    Michael Meissner, Aug 21, 2004
  13. Ric Kaysen

    Jeremy Nixon Guest

    Clyde Torres <> wrote:

    > I said "Well, they certainly care how they pronounce 'Houston' in Houston,
    > TX, because it was named after Sam Houston! Do you honestly think there
    > are two Houston families running around in the United States, and they
    > pronounce it differently?"

    Yes, in fact, he did honestly think that, since Houston Street in Manhattan
    is not named after Sam Houston, nor the city of Houston, Texas, and in fact
    was named before anyone had ever heard of Sam Houston.

    > Heck, I'm not even from Texas, but I cannot handle a salesman screaming at
    > me just because they don't know how to pronounce Houston Street correctly.

    You tried to single-handedly change how one of the most well-known streets
    in the city is pronounced, and wondered why a New Yorker might get a little
    annoyed? :)

    --
    Jeremy |

    Jeremy Nixon, Aug 21, 2004
  14. Ric Kaysen

    Paul J Gans Guest

    Ric Kaysen <> wrote:
    >The advertised prices at B&H are the same as my local Best Buy in NJ and the
    >NY taxes are higher. Is there some other reason I should go there?

    If you live in New Jersey and order by mail there should
    be no taxes.

    B&H is a credible store that resolves most customer's
    problems to the customer's satisfaction. Their salespeople
    also have a good level of expertise in things photographic.

    I'm not sure that Best Buy can match that. Nevertheless,
    if you are comfortable in buying from Best Buy, do so.

    ----- Paul J. Gans

    Paul J Gans, Aug 21, 2004
  15. Ric Kaysen

    Guest

    Ric Kaysen <> wrote:
    > The advertised prices at B&H are the same as my local Best Buy in NJ and the
    > NY taxes are higher. Is there some other reason I should go there?

    If quality customer service matters to you, buy from B&H, but do it online
    and you should not have to pay sales tax.

    , Aug 21, 2004
  16. Ric Kaysen

    Mikey S. Guest

    NYC sales tax is high but if you have B&H ship it to NJ, you don't pay tax
    at all. On any fairly expensive item the shipping is a lot less than the
    tax.
    B&H is reliable, fast, and honest, one of only 2 NYC camera stores that I
    trust..the other is Adorama..but B&H is usually much faster to ship items so
    they get my business most of the time.

    --

    Mikey S.
    http://www.mike721.com

    Mikey S., Aug 21, 2004
  17. Ric Kaysen

    Mikey S. Guest

    Any NYer would have done the same thing, it's a pet peeve.
    Deal with it :)

    --

    Mikey S.
    http://www.mike721.com

    Mikey S., Aug 21, 2004
  18. Ric Kaysen

    Paul J Gans Guest

    Clyde Torres <> wrote:
    >"Larry" <> wrote in message
    >> Go to B&H and you can! I've done it several times both by walking in and

    >by
    >> ordering online. Wouldn't know about the tax saving scheme though.
    >> Larry

    >I don't know about this B&H place. I went there about five years ago
    >intending to buy a camera, and I casually asked the salesman where Houston
    >Street was. He said "It's not pronounced 'Houston' like the city, it's
    >pronounced 'Houston'. " I said "Well, that's not how they pronounce it in
    >Houston, Texas." He said "We don't care how they pronounce it in Houston,
    >TX! The correct pronunciation is 'Houston'." I said "Well, they certainly
    >care how they pronounce 'Houston' in Houston, TX, because it was named after
    >Sam Houston! Do you honestly think there are two Houston families running
    >around in the United States, and they pronounce it differently?" This guy
    >started screaming that Texans didn't know how in the hell to pronounce
    >anything, and he lost a camera sell. Heck, I'm not even from Texas, but I
    >cannot handle a salesman screaming at me just because they don't know how to
    >pronounce Houston Street correctly.

    >Clyde Torres

    ROTFLMAO!

    By the way, the New York family's name and the street
    name are pronounced "Howston". They were a prominent
    family in New York up to the time of the Revolution.
    Being loyalists they ended up back in England.

    However, New Yorkers, always conservative about such
    things, kept the name to this day.

    By the way Houston Street is effectively 0 street
    in New York. The first block north is 1st street
    and the blocks to the south all have names.

    Another bit of off-topic trivia brought to you by
    yours truly,

    ---- Paul J. Gans

    Paul J Gans, Aug 21, 2004
  19. Clyde Torres wrote:

    > "Larry" <> wrote in message
    > > Go to B&H and you can! I've done it several times both by walking in and

    > by
    > > ordering online. Wouldn't know about the tax saving scheme though.
    > > Larry

    > I don't know about this B&H place. I went there about five years ago
    > intending to buy a camera, and I casually asked the salesman where Houston
    > Street was. He said "It's not pronounced 'Houston' like the city, it's
    > pronounced 'Houston'. " I said "Well, that's not how they pronounce it in
    > Houston, Texas." He said "We don't care how they pronounce it in Houston,
    > TX! The correct pronunciation is 'Houston'." I said "Well, they certainly
    > care how they pronounce 'Houston' in Houston, TX, because it was named after
    > Sam Houston! Do you honestly think there are two Houston families running
    > around in the United States, and they pronounce it differently?" This guy
    > started screaming that Texans didn't know how in the hell to pronounce
    > anything, and he lost a camera sell. Heck, I'm not even from Texas, but I
    > cannot handle a salesman screaming at me just because they don't know how to
    > pronounce Houston Street correctly.
    >
    > Clyde Torres

    Other than being a troll, it doesn't have anything to do with B&H,
    which is a good company to deal with. It is about an out of towner
    being an ass. You obvious have little experience or you would know
    that Houston has a least 3 common pronuciations. Without considering
    the local accent the pronunciations are Hues ton, House ton, and Hus
    ton. Or maybe you think that the way you learned to pronunce a word is
    the only correct one. You're lucky you weren't in a cast iron skillet
    store.

    George E. Cawthon, Aug 21, 2004
  20. Ric Kaysen

    Frank ess Guest

    George E. Cawthon wrote:
    > Clyde Torres wrote:
    >>
    >> "Larry" <> wrote in message
    >>> Go to B&H and you can! I've done it several times both by walking
    >>> in and by ordering online. Wouldn't know about the tax saving
    >>> scheme though.
    >>> Larry

    >> I don't know about this B&H place. I went there about five years ago
    >> intending to buy a camera, and I casually asked the salesman where
    >> Houston Street was. He said "It's not pronounced 'Houston' like the
    >> city, it's pronounced 'Houston'. " I said "Well, that's not how
    >> they pronounce it in Houston, Texas." He said "We don't care how
    >> they pronounce it in Houston, TX! The correct pronunciation is
    >> 'Houston'." I said "Well, they certainly care how they pronounce
    >> 'Houston' in Houston, TX, because it was named after Sam Houston!
    >> Do you honestly think there are two Houston families running around
    >> in the United States, and they pronounce it differently?" This guy
    >> started screaming that Texans didn't know how in the hell to
    >> pronounce anything, and he lost a camera sell. Heck, I'm not even
    >> from Texas, but I cannot handle a salesman screaming at me just
    >> because they don't know how to pronounce Houston Street correctly.
    >>
    >> Clyde Torres

    > Other than being a troll, it doesn't have anything to do with B&H,
    > which is a good company to deal with. It is about an out of towner
    > being an ass. You obvious have little experience or you would know
    > that Houston has a least 3 common pronuciations. Without considering
    > the local accent the pronunciations are Hues ton, House ton, and Hus
    > ton. Or maybe you think that the way you learned to pronunce a word is
    > the only correct one. You're lucky you weren't in a cast iron skillet
    > store.

    I think "Clyde" was having a little fun. And I did enjoy a predictable
    shoot-from-the-jerking-knee responses. Not to say I encourage such
    tricks. Heh.

    Frank ess
    Recent acquirer of the code to translate "SoHo"

    Frank ess, Aug 21, 2004