    Curious if the Maxthon and Avant browsers are as insecure/bad to use as
    Internet Explorer (8)

    Thanks

    Muse Gruppes, Jul 4, 2010

  2. Muse Gruppes

    VanguardLH Guest

    Muse Gruppes wrote:

    > Curious if the Maxthon and Avant browsers are as insecure/bad to use as
    > Internet Explorer (8)

    You haven't bothered to read their documentation? You are completly
    unaware that those are wrapper applications for IE?

    Wiki articles
    -------------
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxthon
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avantbrowser

    System Requirements
    -------------------
    http://www.maxthon.com/support.htm
    "Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.0 or Above Version"
    http://www.avantbrowser.com/support.html#systemreq
    "Internet Explorer version 6.0,7.0 or 8.0 should be installed."

    Why is IE a requirement? Because a wrapper for IE is obviously going to
    need IE to be present.

    VanguardLH, Jul 4, 2010

  3. Muse Gruppes

    Muse Gruppes Guest

    On 7/4/2010 10:57 AM, VanguardLH wrote:
    > Muse Gruppes wrote:
    >
    >> Curious if the Maxthon and Avant browsers are as insecure/bad to use as
    >> Internet Explorer (8)

    > You haven't bothered to read their documentation? You are completly
    > unaware that those are wrapper applications for IE?
    >

    > Wiki articles
    > -------------
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxthon
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avantbrowser
    >

    > System Requirements
    > -------------------
    > http://www.maxthon.com/support.htm
    > "Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.0 or Above Version"
    > http://www.avantbrowser.com/support.html#systemreq
    > "Internet Explorer version 6.0,7.0 or 8.0 should be installed."
    >
    > Why is IE a requirement? Because a wrapper for IE is obviously going to
    > need IE to be present.

    Well I was aware, but I wondered if they put some safeguards in place to
    make up for 'regular' IEs lack of safety. Guess not!

    Thanks

    Muse Gruppes, Jul 4, 2010
  4. Muse Gruppes

    chuckcar Guest

    Muse Gruppes <> wrote in

    > On 7/4/2010 10:57 AM, VanguardLH wrote:
    >> Muse Gruppes wrote:
    >>
    >>> Curious if the Maxthon and Avant browsers are as insecure/bad to use as
    >>> Internet Explorer (8)

    >> You haven't bothered to read their documentation? You are completly
    >> unaware that those are wrapper applications for IE?
    >>

    >> Wiki articles
    >> -------------
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxthon
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avantbrowser
    >>

    >> System Requirements
    >> -------------------
    >> http://www.maxthon.com/support.htm
    >> "Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.0 or Above Version"
    >> http://www.avantbrowser.com/support.html#systemreq
    >> "Internet Explorer version 6.0,7.0 or 8.0 should be installed."
    >>
    >> Why is IE a requirement? Because a wrapper for IE is obviously going to
    >> need IE to be present.

    > Well I was aware, but I wondered if they put some safeguards in place to
    > make up for 'regular' IEs lack of safety. Guess not!

    As a matter of fact IE is quite probably the *most* secure browser on the
    market. You can make that assertion based on one very important and
    relevant point: it's longevity and vast number of times people *have* tried
    to compromise it's security in the last 15 years. Most of the windows
    updates have been for IE, OE and WMP for just such reasons.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Jul 4, 2010
  5. chuckcar wrote:

    > Muse Gruppes <> wrote:
    >> VanguardLH wrote:
    >>> Why is IE a requirement? Because a wrapper for IE is obviously
    >>> going to need IE to be present.

    >> Well I was aware, but I wondered if they put some safeguards in
    >> place to make up for 'regular' IEs lack of safety. Guess not!
    >>

    > As a matter of fact IE is quite probably the *most* secure browser on
    > the market.

    <SPLORFFF!>

    > You can make that assertion based on one very important and relevant
    > point: it's [sic] longevity and vast number of times people *have*
    > tried to compromise it's [sic] security in the last 15 years.

    Are you going to mention the many thousands of times these
    "compromisers" have been successful?

    > Most of the windows updates have been for IE, OE and WMP for just such
    > reasons.

    Reasons: there are constantly new exploitable holes found by the
    "compromisers."

    You should not post after you've opened the bottle.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jul 4, 2010
  6. Muse Gruppes

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 21:33:47 +0000, chuckcar wrote:

    > it's security

    No, it isn't.

    Aardvark, Jul 5, 2010
  7. Muse Gruppes

    VanguardLH Guest

    chuckcar wrote:

    > Muse Gruppes wrote:
    >
    >> Well I was aware, but I wondered if they put some safeguards in place to
    >> make up for 'regular' IEs lack of safety. Guess not!

    > As a matter of fact IE is quite probably the *most* secure browser on the
    > market. You can make that assertion based on one very important and
    > relevant point: it's longevity and vast number of times people *have* tried
    > to compromise it's security in the last 15 years. Most of the windows
    > updates have been for IE, OE and WMP for just such reasons.

    Who said chuck didn't have a warped sense of humor?

    VanguardLH, Jul 5, 2010
  8. Muse Gruppes

    Muse Gruppes Guest

    you make NO fucking sense.

    Muse Gruppes, Jul 5, 2010
  9. Muse Gruppes

    Fuzzy Logic Guest

    "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote in news:i0r09b$lo4$-
    september.org:

    > chuckcar wrote:
    >
    >> Muse Gruppes <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Well I was aware, but I wondered if they put some safeguards in
    >>> place to make up for 'regular' IEs lack of safety. Guess not!
    >>>

    >> As a matter of fact IE is quite probably the *most* secure browser on
    >> the market.

    ><SPLORFFF!>
    >
    >> You can make that assertion based on one very important and relevant
    >> point: it's [sic] longevity and vast number of times people *have*
    >> tried to compromise it's [sic] security in the last 15 years.

    > Are you going to mention the many thousands of times these
    > "compromisers" have been successful?
    >
    >> Most of the windows updates have been for IE, OE and WMP for just such
    >> reasons.

    > Reasons: there are constantly new exploitable holes found by the
    > "compromisers."
    >
    > You should not post after you've opened the bottle.

    IE8 is actually quite secure. The issue for browser security now has more to do with plugins and extensions
    which are being targetted big time. In addition if you get a popup telling you that you have been compromised
    and you should install some great security software and you do that it hardly counts as a browser insecurity.

    Concentrate on your browser plugins/extensions (Flash, Adobe, Jave, QuickTime) as these are the most
    targeted and the bad guys have tools that can quickly determine your OS and what plugins you have and their
    vulnerabilities and promptly serve up malware. For interesting reading:

    http://www.invincea.com/wordpress/?p=553
    http://www.symantec.com/business/theme.jsp?themeid=threatreport

    Fuzzy Logic, Jul 5, 2010
  10. Muse Gruppes

    chuckcar Guest

    Muse Gruppes <> wrote in

    > you make NO fucking sense.

    Completely unlike your OP. Riight.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Jul 5, 2010
  11. Muse Gruppes

    chuckcar Guest

    Fuzzy Logic <> wrote in

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote in
    > news:i0r09b$lo4$- september.org:
    >
    >> chuckcar wrote:

    >>> As a matter of fact IE is quite probably the *most* secure browser
    >>> on the market.

    <snip of some of the most incredibly ilogical arguments I've ever seen here.
    And *that's* saying a lot.>

    > IE8 is actually quite secure. The issue for browser security now has
    > more to do with plugins and extensions which are being targetted big
    > time. In addition if you get a popup telling you that you have been
    > compromised and you should install some great security software and
    > you do that it hardly counts as a browser insecurity.
    >
    > Concentrate on your browser plugins/extensions (Flash, Adobe, Jave,
    > QuickTime) as these are the most targeted and the bad guys have tools
    > that can quickly determine your OS and what plugins you have and their
    > vulnerabilities and promptly serve up malware. For interesting
    > reading:
    >
    > http://www.invincea.com/wordpress/?p=553
    > http://www.symantec.com/business/theme.jsp?themeid=threatreport

    Don't forget about the pointless cluttering and insecurity provided by the
    goggle addons either. IE's secure because of the constant attempts and the
    fixes from MS of course.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Jul 5, 2010
  12. chucktard wrote:

    > <snip of some of the most incredibly ilogical arguments I've ever seen
    > here. And *that's* saying a lot.>

    <SPLORFFF!>

    --
    -bts