    It's a Canon lens, fwiw...

    Thanks!!

    BD.
    BD, Oct 18, 2005

  2. BD

    John H Guest

    On 18 Oct 2005 08:38:05 -0700, "BD" <> wrote:

    >Hey, all.
    >
    >I have a lens I plan to sell, and I intend to open it up for US as well
    >as Canadian buyers (I'm in Canada). The thing's still quite new, and
    >has most of the manufacturer's warranty still on it. I have not yet
    >filled out the warranty card.
    >
    >Anyone know what the rules/restrictions are regarding the warranty if I
    >sell this item? Is it still honored? What about across the border??
    >
    >It's a Canon lens, fwiw...
    >
    >Thanks!!
    >
    >BD.

    Drop an email to Canon support and ask them. I asked Canon
    Canada about warranty on a S2IS that I saw on ebay ,new, that had
    Asian markings on the box. Their reply was that the item had to come
    from an authorized Canon dealer. That doesn't help you but my point
    is that I got a prompt answer from support so maybe Canon US would be
    as responsive.
    John H, Oct 18, 2005

  3. BD

    Dave Cohen Guest

    "John H" <> wrote in message
    > On 18 Oct 2005 08:38:05 -0700, "BD" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Hey, all.
    >>
    >>I have a lens I plan to sell, and I intend to open it up for US as well
    >>as Canadian buyers (I'm in Canada). The thing's still quite new, and
    >>has most of the manufacturer's warranty still on it. I have not yet
    >>filled out the warranty card.
    >>
    >>Anyone know what the rules/restrictions are regarding the warranty if I
    >>sell this item? Is it still honored? What about across the border??
    >>
    >>It's a Canon lens, fwiw...
    >>
    >>Thanks!!
    >>
    >>BD.

    > Drop an email to Canon support and ask them. I asked Canon
    > Canada about warranty on a S2IS that I saw on ebay ,new, that had
    > Asian markings on the box. Their reply was that the item had to come
    > from an authorized Canon dealer. That doesn't help you but my point
    > is that I got a prompt answer from support so maybe Canon US would be
    > as responsive.

    First thing to do is check warranty to see if it is transferable.
    Dave Cohen
    Dave Cohen, Oct 18, 2005
  4. BD

    BD Guest

    Yes, I guess it's best to get it straight from the source.
    BD, Oct 18, 2005
  5. BD

    DeadKenny Guest

    BD wrote:
    > Hey, all.
    >
    > I have a lens I plan to sell, and I intend to open it up for US as well
    > as Canadian buyers (I'm in Canada). The thing's still quite new, and
    > has most of the manufacturer's warranty still on it. I have not yet
    > filled out the warranty card.
    >
    > Anyone know what the rules/restrictions are regarding the warranty if I
    > sell this item? Is it still honored? What about across the border??
    >
    > It's a Canon lens, fwiw...

    Should say on the warranty. Needs to be an International Warranty,
    though US/Canada might be covered by a single North American warranty.

    Might not be transferrable though.

    Also one thing to watch out for is some manufacturers will not honour a
    warranty if they find out the product was bought from the grey market.
    I've heard of Nikon doing this and if it's an import product they want
    proof of purchase along with customs information. I've heard too that
    they won't even repair out-of-warranty items if they discover it's grey
    market :(

    In other words... if it's a cheap grey market import, your warranty
    might not be worth the paper it's written on.

    In my opinion it would be illegal if you could do them for being
    anti-competitive and breaking free trade laws. Thankfully Nikon it seems
    at least have been crapped on by the EU for trying to prevent grey
    imports (aka parallel imports) between EU countries, but it still means
    I can't buy a lens from Hong Kong where it's far cheaper and get a
    warranty that's worth more than shit. If I pay UK rip-off prices on the
    other hand, sure.
    DeadKenny, Oct 18, 2005