    Also, can anyone direct me to a site that lets you shop for different
    laptops from different companies?

    Thanks, Brad
    Bradley Burton, Jul 8, 2004

  2. Bradley Burton

    Brad Griffis Guest

    "Bradley Burton" <> wrote in message
    news:eek:65Hc.44133$XM6.1285@attbi_s53...
    > I'm trying to find a laptop that has WiFi. My question is do laptops
    > automatically support WiFi? The reason I ask is because I was looking at
    > Laptops over the internet and none of them include WiFi in the specs list,
    > it just says 'ethernet.' I was looking at pretty expensive computers too.
    >
    > Also, can anyone direct me to a site that lets you shop for different
    > laptops from different companies?
    >

    > Thanks, Brad

    WiFi is not automatically supported in laptops. You may just be overlooking
    it though as it is often referred to as 802.11b or 802.11g. Having it built
    into the computer is nice, but you can always buy a WiFi PCMCIA card to plug
    into your laptop for $30. So don't spend hundreds more to get it built in.

    A great website to search for computer stuff is http://www.pricewatch.com .
    They don't sell merchandise directly but they will help you find companies
    selling products for the best prices. A very reputable online dealer of
    computer stuff is http://www.newegg.com . They're usually one of the best
    prices on pricewatch and they are very reputable. I try to buy everything
    from them if possible.

    Brad
    Brad Griffis, Jul 8, 2004

  3. Brad Griffis wrote:
    > "Bradley Burton" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I'm trying to find a laptop that has WiFi. My question is do laptops
    >>automatically support WiFi? The reason I ask is because I was looking at
    >>Laptops over the internet and none of them include WiFi in the specs list,
    >>it just says 'ethernet.' I was looking at pretty expensive computers too.
    >>
    >>Also, can anyone direct me to a site that lets you shop for different
    >>laptops from different companies?
    >>

    >>Thanks, Brad

    > WiFi is not automatically supported in laptops. You may just be overlooking
    > it though as it is often referred to as 802.11b or 802.11g. Having it built
    > into the computer is nice, but you can always buy a WiFi PCMCIA card to plug
    > into your laptop for $30. So don't spend hundreds more to get it built in.
    >
    > A great website to search for computer stuff is http://www.pricewatch.com .
    > They don't sell merchandise directly but they will help you find companies
    > selling products for the best prices. A very reputable online dealer of
    > computer stuff is http://www.newegg.com . They're usually one of the best
    > prices on pricewatch and they are very reputable. I try to buy everything
    > from them if possible.
    >
    > Brad

    IIRC WiFi is 'automatically' supported in Centrino laptops. Of course
    that's really nothing more than a bundle. Centrino is simply Intel's
    trademarked name for a specific set of features in a laptop, one of
    which is WiFi.

    To paraphrase what you said, I'd buy the best laptop that suited my
    other needs, then add WiFi to it. In addition to the PC card option many
    laptops now offer a mini-PCI slot with a built-in antenna. I believe a
    mini-PCI card is the option specified in Centrino. Since the PC card is
    obvious while the mini-PCI card is hidden it often appears that Centrino
    somehow 'magically' supports WiFi. There's nothing magical about it, of
    course.
    Calvin Crumrine, Jul 8, 2004