    Has anybody ordered one from eBay, and used it successfully outside
    the US? http://search.ebay.com/fxo-sip

    Thank you.
    Vincent Delporte, Jul 24, 2006

  2. "Vincent Delporte" <> wrote in message
    > Hello
    >
    > FXO SIP gateways can be ordered through the Net (eBay, etc.) but since
    > they are meant to be connected to the POTS, they have to be localized
    > for use in such and such country.
    >
    > Does someone know this can be done in software, ie. I can just upload
    > a new firmware to match the country where I need to use this gateway,
    > or does it also require some hardware changes?
    >
    > Has anybody ordered one from eBay, and used it successfully outside
    > the US? http://search.ebay.com/fxo-sip
    >
    > Thank you.

    I believe the Sipuras (now from Linksys) work worldwide.
    Jonathan Roberts, Jul 24, 2006

  3. On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 17:46:13 -0500, "Jonathan Roberts"
    <> wrote:
    >I believe the Sipuras (now from Linksys) work worldwide.

    Thanks for the tip.

    Has someone successfully ordered the 3102 in the US and used it in
    Europe?
    Vincent Delporte, Jul 25, 2006
  4. "Vincent Delporte" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 17:46:13 -0500, "Jonathan Roberts"
    > <> wrote:
    > >I believe the Sipuras (now from Linksys) work worldwide.

    > Thanks for the tip.
    >
    > Has someone successfully ordered the 3102 in the US and used it in
    > Europe?

    Vincent,

    You might check with these folks
    (http://www.myphonecall.co.uk/voip/telephoneadapters/sipura/default.aspx).
    They appear to be a Sipura reseller in the UK. They list themselves as
    Cisco & MS certified, so hopefully they are knowledgeable.

    Jonathan
    Jonathan Roberts, Jul 25, 2006
  5. Vincent Delporte, Jul 25, 2006
  6. Vincent Delporte <> wrote:
    >FXO SIP gateways can be ordered through the Net (eBay, etc.) but since
    >they are meant to be connected to the POTS, they have to be localized
    >for use in such and such country.

    I'm not convinced that there are that many differences in line
    characteristics that would make a universal solution non-functional or
    cause voice quality problems.

    The other side of this, of course, is certification for each country,
    which is purely a legal matter, and can be very expensive and
    time-consuming to get.

    If you are a corporate buyer or reseller, you better make sure you are
    doing all the proper paperwork. If you are an individual, I wouldn't
    worry about it.
    William P.N. Smith, Jul 25, 2006
  7. On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 07:59:29 -0400, William P.N. Smith
    <> wrote:
    >I'm not convinced that there are that many differences in line
    >characteristics that would make a universal solution non-functional or
    >cause voice quality problems.

    From what I read, there is enough difference that they do need to be
    customized by country: impedence, call progress not being correctly
    handled, caller ID not be picked up, etc. As a matter of fact, analog
    modems had to be a bit reworked to work perfectly in different
    countries.

    That's why I'm wary of buying a gateway that I'm not positive is
    available for different countries in Europe.

    Any users from Europe in this newsgroup? :)
    Vincent Delporte, Jul 25, 2006
  8. Vincent Delporte

    Jono Guest

    Vincent Delporte wrote:
    || On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 07:59:29 -0400, William P.N. Smith
    || <> wrote:
    ||| I'm not convinced that there are that many differences in line
    ||| characteristics that would make a universal solution non-functional
    ||| or cause voice quality problems.
    || From what I read, there is enough difference that they do need to be
    || customized by country: impedence, call progress not being correctly
    || handled, caller ID not be picked up, etc. As a matter of fact, analog
    || modems had to be a bit reworked to work perfectly in different
    || countries.
    || That's why I'm wary of buying a gateway that I'm not positive is
    || available for different countries in Europe.
    || Any users from Europe in this newsgroup? :)

    Yep.

    All regionalization is done by accessing the device's admin pages via a
    browser (Linksys/Sipura).

    Have a look at www.provu.com - a UK based supplier of (Linksys/Sipura) VoIP
    kit.

    Also, lots of discussion in the voxilla forum
    http://voxilla.com/forum-viewforum-f-14.html
    Jono, Jul 25, 2006
  9. On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 19:32:08 GMT, "Jono" <> wrote:
    >All regionalization is done by accessing the device's admin pages via a
    >browser (Linksys/Sipura).

    Cool. I was wondering if it was just software, or they also had to be
    reworked at the hardware level. Thanks!
    Vincent Delporte, Jul 25, 2006