    lbbs Guest

    Some stores I called apparently don't carry the dvd+R. Why are the - more
    popular? Most new dvd players will play both the + and the -.
    lbbs, Jan 5, 2004

  2. lbbs

    mrdancer Guest

    "lbbs" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Some stores I called apparently don't carry the dvd+R. Why are the -

    more
    > popular? Most new dvd players will play both the + and the -.

    DVD -R has been around longer and is recognized by more DVD players. +R
    reportedly has a few advantages over -R (probably none of which the average
    consumer would ever realize), but unfortunately is supported by microsoft.
    mrdancer, Jan 5, 2004

  3. lbbs

    Pompey© Guest

    You just answered your own questions...most NEW players support both but the
    older players are more for the minus format..that's why they are more
    popular..people sticking with what they know, but the plus format is on the
    up!!

    Daryn

    Pompey©, Jan 5, 2004
  4. lbbs

    Senti Guest

    mrdancer did mumble YLiKb.6619$...

    > "lbbs" <> wrote in message
    >> Some stores I called apparently don't carry the dvd+R. Why are
    >> the - more popular? Most new dvd players will play both the + and
    >> the -.

    > DVD -R has been around longer and is recognized by more DVD players.
    > +R reportedly has a few advantages over -R (probably none of which
    > the average consumer would ever realize), but unfortunately is
    > supported by microsoft.

    From the little I recall reading about the differences, the +R is better at
    storing data (rather than movies) than the -R. Which would make it better
    for use with PCs...
    --
    ~SF~
    "I'm a paranoid agnostic. I doubt the existence of God, but I'm sure
    Senti, Jan 5, 2004
  5. lbbs

    CFster Guest

    "mrdancer" <> wrote in message

    > "lbbs" <> wrote in message
    > > Some stores I called apparently don't carry the dvd+R. Why are the -

    > more
    > > popular? Most new dvd players will play both the + and the -.

    > DVD -R has been around longer and is recognized by more DVD players. +R
    > reportedly has a few advantages over -R (probably none of which the

    average
    > consumer would ever realize), but unfortunately is supported by microsoft.

    http://www.dvdplusrw.org/Article.asp?mid=0&sid=3&aid=12

    CFster
    CFster, Jan 5, 2004
  6. lbbs

    mrdancer Guest

    "CFster" <> wrote in message

    > "mrdancer" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "lbbs" <> wrote in message
    > > > Some stores I called apparently don't carry the dvd+R. Why are

    the -
    > > more
    > > > popular? Most new dvd players will play both the + and the -.

    > > DVD -R has been around longer and is recognized by more DVD players.

    +R
    > > reportedly has a few advantages over -R (probably none of which the

    > average
    > > consumer would ever realize), but unfortunately is supported by

    microsoft.

    > http://www.dvdplusrw.org/Article.asp?mid=0&sid=3&aid=12

    My sentiments exactly.
    mrdancer, Jan 6, 2004
  7. lbbs

    normanstrong Guest

    "CFster" <> wrote in message

    > "mrdancer" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "lbbs" <> wrote in message
    > > > Some stores I called apparently don't carry the dvd+R. Why

    are the -
    > > more
    > > > popular? Most new dvd players will play both the + and the -.

    > > DVD -R has been around longer and is recognized by more DVD

    players. +R
    > > reportedly has a few advantages over -R (probably none of which

    the
    > average
    > > consumer would ever realize), but unfortunately is supported by

    microsoft.

    > http://www.dvdplusrw.org/Article.asp?mid=0&sid=3&aid=12

    I find this interesting. Of course it was put out by the DVD+R
    organization, so I emphasizes the advantages of +R over -R. What I
    would like to see is a similar article put out by the DVD-R
    organization, wherein it does the same for -R. Anyone know of one?

    Norm Strong
    normanstrong, Jan 6, 2004
  8. > > http://www.dvdplusrw.org/Article.asp?mid=0&sid=3&aid=12

    "normanstrong" wrote ...

    www.dvdminusrw.org is available! :)
    Richard Crowley, Jan 6, 2004
  9. lbbs

    Skid Guest

    "normanstrong" <> wrote in message

    > > http://www.dvdplusrw.org/Article.asp?mid=0&sid=3&aid=12

    > I find this interesting. Of course it was put out by the DVD+R
    > organization, so I emphasizes the advantages of +R over -R. What I
    > would like to see is a similar article put out by the DVD-R
    > organization, wherein it does the same for -R. Anyone know of one?
    >
    > Norm Strong

    Not exactly, but here are some semi-independent assessments that conclude +R
    seems to have the brightest future:
    http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/122
    http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/113
    http://asia.cnet.com/newstech/personaltech/0,39001147,39163045,00.htm

    And here's one that concludes -R is the most compatible.
    http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Art...Headline=DVD Media Format Compatibility Tests

    All opinions are suspect. Both formats work. More people use -R because it's
    been around longer. +R has technical advantages and is gaining ground in the
    marketplace.
    Skid, Jan 6, 2004
  10. The -R are more compatable with older DVD players

    Rik

    Richard Baker, Jan 8, 2004