Are Duracells OK?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by mianileng, Feb 17, 2012.

  1. mianileng

    mianileng Guest

    I just sent my son to get me some AA Duracell alkalines from the
    neighbourhood camera shop but they told him that they don't stock
    Duracells anymore because they are no longer "good" - a term
    which in my language can refer either to performance or to
    reliability, or both. They offered another brand.

    I seldom have a need for alkaline batteries for any purpose, so I
    don't really know what to make of this claim. If it makes any
    difference, I live in India and the Duracells we get here are
    made in China. Can anyone enlighten me?
     
    mianileng, Feb 17, 2012
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. "mianileng" <> wrote in message
    news:jhkpo4$vdn$...
    > I just sent my son to get me some AA Duracell alkalines from the
    > neighbourhood camera shop but they told him that they don't stock
    > Duracells anymore because they are no longer "good" - a term which in my
    > language can refer either to performance or to reliability, or both.
    > They offered another brand.
    >
    > I seldom have a need for alkaline batteries for any purpose, so I don't
    > really know what to make of this claim. If it makes any difference, I
    > live in India and the Duracells we get here are made in China. Can
    > anyone enlighten me?


    I've not heard of any problems. I wouldn't hesitate to buy Duracell
    today. That's not to say that there aren't any issues, of course!

    Cheers,
    David
     
    David J Taylor, Feb 17, 2012
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. mianileng

    mianileng Guest

    David J Taylor wrote:
    > "mianileng" <> wrote in message
    > news:jhkpo4$vdn$...
    >> I just sent my son to get me some AA Duracell alkalines from
    >> the
    >> neighbourhood camera shop but they told him that they don't
    >> stock
    >> Duracells anymore because they are no longer "good" - a term
    >> which
    >> in my language can refer either to performance or to
    >> reliability, or
    >> both. They offered another brand.
    >>
    >> I seldom have a need for alkaline batteries for any purpose,
    >> so I
    >> don't really know what to make of this claim. If it makes any
    >> difference, I live in India and the Duracells we get here are
    >> made
    >> in China. Can anyone enlighten me?

    >
    > I've not heard of any problems. I wouldn't hesitate to buy
    > Duracell
    > today. That's not to say that there aren't any issues, of
    > course!
    >
    > Cheers,
    > David


    Thanks. I got Duracells from another shop anyway, but I wanted to
    know what the general situation is.
     
    mianileng, Feb 17, 2012
    #3
  4. mianileng

    Guest

    On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 11:18:50 +0530, "mianileng" <> wrote:

    > I just sent my son to get me some AA Duracell alkalines from the
    > neighbourhood camera shop but they told him that they don't stock
    > Duracells anymore because they are no longer "good" - a term
    > which in my language can refer either to performance or to
    > reliability, or both. They offered another brand.
    >
    > I seldom have a need for alkaline batteries for any purpose, so I
    > don't really know what to make of this claim. If it makes any
    > difference, I live in India and the Duracells we get here are
    > made in China. Can anyone enlighten me?


    Try and get the ones made in Pakistan. They are a real blast to use...
     
    , Feb 17, 2012
    #4
  5. "David J Taylor" <> writes:

    > "mianileng" <> wrote in message
    > news:jhkpo4$vdn$...
    >> I just sent my son to get me some AA Duracell alkalines from the
    >> neighbourhood camera shop but they told him that they don't stock
    >> Duracells anymore because they are no longer "good" - a term which
    >> in my language can refer either to performance or to reliability, or
    >> both. They offered another brand.
    >>
    >> I seldom have a need for alkaline batteries for any purpose, so I
    >> don't really know what to make of this claim. If it makes any
    >> difference, I live in India and the Duracells we get here are made
    >> in China. Can anyone enlighten me?

    >
    > I've not heard of any problems. I wouldn't hesitate to buy Duracell
    > today. That's not to say that there aren't any issues, of course!


    I haven't heard of problems. There were Duracells all over the battery
    display I was browsing yesterday.

    I actually bought Rayovacs at half the price.

    --
    David Dyer-Bennet, ; http://dd-b.net/
    Snapshots: http://dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum/data/
    Photos: http://dd-b.net/photography/gallery/
    Dragaera: http://dragaera.info
     
    David Dyer-Bennet, Feb 17, 2012
    #5
  6. On 2/17/2012 11:08 AM, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
    > "David J Taylor"<> writes:
    >
    >> "mianileng"<> wrote in message
    >> news:jhkpo4$vdn$...
    >>> I just sent my son to get me some AA Duracell alkalines from the
    >>> neighbourhood camera shop but they told him that they don't stock
    >>> Duracells anymore because they are no longer "good" - a term which
    >>> in my language can refer either to performance or to reliability, or
    >>> both. They offered another brand.
    >>>
    >>> I seldom have a need for alkaline batteries for any purpose, so I
    >>> don't really know what to make of this claim. If it makes any
    >>> difference, I live in India and the Duracells we get here are made
    >>> in China. Can anyone enlighten me?

    >>
    >> I've not heard of any problems. I wouldn't hesitate to buy Duracell
    >> today. That's not to say that there aren't any issues, of course!

    >
    > I haven't heard of problems. There were Duracells all over the battery
    > display I was browsing yesterday.
    >
    > I actually bought Rayovacs at half the price.
    >

    Do Rayovacs last as well? I remember reading some years ago that, unlike
    EverReady, some companies' D-cells were identical *inside* to C-cells.

    --
    Jim Silverton

    Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
     
    James Silverton, Feb 17, 2012
    #6
  7. James Silverton <> writes:

    > On 2/17/2012 11:08 AM, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
    >> "David J Taylor"<> writes:
    >>
    >>> "mianileng"<> wrote in message
    >>> news:jhkpo4$vdn$...
    >>>> I just sent my son to get me some AA Duracell alkalines from the
    >>>> neighbourhood camera shop but they told him that they don't stock
    >>>> Duracells anymore because they are no longer "good" - a term which
    >>>> in my language can refer either to performance or to reliability, or
    >>>> both. They offered another brand.
    >>>>
    >>>> I seldom have a need for alkaline batteries for any purpose, so I
    >>>> don't really know what to make of this claim. If it makes any
    >>>> difference, I live in India and the Duracells we get here are made
    >>>> in China. Can anyone enlighten me?
    >>>
    >>> I've not heard of any problems. I wouldn't hesitate to buy Duracell
    >>> today. That's not to say that there aren't any issues, of course!

    >>
    >> I haven't heard of problems. There were Duracells all over the battery
    >> display I was browsing yesterday.
    >>
    >> I actually bought Rayovacs at half the price.


    > Do Rayovacs last as well? I remember reading some years ago that,
    > unlike EverReady, some companies' D-cells were identical *inside* to
    > C-cells.


    These were AAA.

    Years ago, the articles I read said all alkaline cells were essentially
    identical. Whether this is true specifically now, I don't know. I've
    used Radio Shack brand cells a lot, and they seemed fine too.
    --
    David Dyer-Bennet, ; http://dd-b.net/
    Snapshots: http://dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum/data/
    Photos: http://dd-b.net/photography/gallery/
    Dragaera: http://dragaera.info
     
    David Dyer-Bennet, Feb 17, 2012
    #7
  8. mianileng

    mianileng Guest

    "David Dyer-Bennet" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > "David J Taylor" <>
    > writes:
    >
    >> "mianileng" <> wrote in message
    >> news:jhkpo4$vdn$...
    >>> I just sent my son to get me some AA Duracell alkalines from
    >>> the
    >>> neighbourhood camera shop but they told him that they don't
    >>> stock
    >>> Duracells anymore because they are no longer "good" - a term
    >>> which
    >>> in my language can refer either to performance or to
    >>> reliability, or
    >>> both. They offered another brand.
    >>>
    >>> I seldom have a need for alkaline batteries for any purpose,
    >>> so I
    >>> don't really know what to make of this claim. If it makes any
    >>> difference, I live in India and the Duracells we get here are
    >>> made
    >>> in China. Can anyone enlighten me?

    >>
    >> I've not heard of any problems. I wouldn't hesitate to buy
    >> Duracell
    >> today. That's not to say that there aren't any issues, of
    >> course!

    >
    > I haven't heard of problems. There were Duracells all over the
    > battery
    > display I was browsing yesterday.
    >
    > I actually bought Rayovacs at half the price.
    >


    The Indian brand I was offered cost somewhat more than the
    Duracell at the equivalent of US $0.40 vs. $0.34.
     
    mianileng, Feb 17, 2012
    #8
  9. mianileng

    ASCII Guest

    George Kerby wrote:
    >
    >Duracell is the ONLY battery that Maglite recommends and will replace your
    >unit if one fails and leaks in the chamber. Someone just got a better deal
    >from the wholesaler at your camera shop, that's all.


    Wasn't a Maglite, but a somewhat expensive Underwater Kinetics, that
    experienced a corrosive leakage such that I'll never use Duracell again.
     
    ASCII, Feb 18, 2012
    #9
  10. mianileng

    ASCII Guest

    Eric Stevens wrote:
    >On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 17:19:40 -0800, ASCII <> wrote:
    >
    >>George Kerby wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Duracell is the ONLY battery that Maglite recommends and will replace your
    >>>unit if one fails and leaks in the chamber. Someone just got a better deal
    >>>from the wholesaler at your camera shop, that's all.

    >>
    >>Wasn't a Maglite, but a somewhat expensive Underwater Kinetics, that
    >>experienced a corrosive leakage such that I'll never use Duracell again.

    >
    >How old were the Duracells?


    Unknown, but still tested for good voltage.
    I suspect the altitude change caused it
    going from just above sea level to about six thousand feet
    for a night of astronomy activities.
     
    ASCII, Feb 18, 2012
    #10
  11. mianileng

    Bigguy 2012 Guest

    On 17/02/2012 05:48, mianileng wrote:
    > I just sent my son to get me some AA Duracell alkalines from the
    > neighbourhood camera shop but they told him that they don't stock
    > Duracells anymore because they are no longer "good" - a term
    > which in my language can refer either to performance or to
    > reliability, or both. They offered another brand.
    >
    > I seldom have a need for alkaline batteries for any purpose, so I
    > don't really know what to make of this claim. If it makes any
    > difference, I live in India and the Duracells we get here are
    > made in China. Can anyone enlighten me?
    >
    >

    Genuine Duracells are fine - if a little overpriced, and other brands
    have higher capacities.

    Their ProCell varient can usually be bought in bulk for lower prices.

    Here in the UK there is a growing problem with fakes.
    These were generally obvious and sold on market stalls etc., but now the
    fakes have improved (visually) and are beeing sold in retail outlets and
    on the web.

    Suspiciously low prices are a clue...

    G
     
    Bigguy 2012, Feb 18, 2012
    #11
  12. mianileng

    David Guest

    In article <jhkpo4$vdn$>,
    "mianileng" <> wrote:

    > I just sent my son to get me some AA Duracell alkalines from the
    > neighbourhood camera shop but they told him that they don't stock
    > Duracells anymore because they are no longer "good" - a term
    > which in my language can refer either to performance or to
    > reliability, or both. They offered another brand.
    >
    > I seldom have a need for alkaline batteries for any purpose, so I
    > don't really know what to make of this claim. If it makes any
    > difference, I live in India and the Duracells we get here are
    > made in China. Can anyone enlighten me?


    I just had 2 x duracells that were mounted in my Duracell torch leak
    nasty stuff over the torches internals.

    After this there is no way I would ever put a Duracell battery in a
    camera or anything that that was worth more than 50c

    When I rang Duracell re their 'guarantee' and pledge to replace any
    equipment damaged by their batteries, they told me to go jump unless I
    could prove the batteries were bought from Duracell!

    And how could I do that I said? Well that is your problem I was told

    I hung up

    David - really pissed off cause I thought they were good batteries and
    an honest company
     
    David, Feb 19, 2012
    #12
  13. "David" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    []
    > I just had 2 x duracells that were mounted in my Duracell torch leak
    > nasty stuff over the torches internals.
    >
    > After this there is no way I would ever put a Duracell battery in a
    > camera or anything that that was worth more than 50c
    >
    > When I rang Duracell re their 'guarantee' and pledge to replace any
    > equipment damaged by their batteries, they told me to go jump unless I
    > could prove the batteries were bought from Duracell!
    >
    > And how could I do that I said? Well that is your problem I was told
    >
    > I hung up
    >
    > David - really pissed off cause I thought they were good batteries and
    > an honest company


    ... and how do you know that other manufacturer's cells would not behave in
    exactly the same way, given exactly the same treatment? Can you provide
    the URL of this guarantee?

    Most of the equipment I have includes instructions to remove cells when
    the equipment will not be used for some period.

    David
     
    David J Taylor, Feb 19, 2012
    #13
  14. mianileng

    nick c Guest

    mianileng wrote:
    > I just sent my son to get me some AA Duracell alkalines from the
    > neighbourhood camera shop but they told him that they don't stock
    > Duracells anymore because they are no longer "good" - a term
    > which in my language can refer either to performance or to
    > reliability, or both. They offered another brand.
    >
    > I seldom have a need for alkaline batteries for any purpose, so I
    > don't really know what to make of this claim. If it makes any
    > difference, I live in India and the Duracells we get here are
    > made in China. Can anyone enlighten me?
    >
    >


    My experiences with using AA Duracell batteries has not been good. Now,
    when I need to restock my AA size batteries, Duracell batteries are the
    last on my list of battery selections. I have found AA batteries sold by
    Radio Shack to be more trouble free than Duracell's. Second to Radio
    Shack, Energizer and Rayovac batteries appear not to leak as much or as
    often as Duracell's.
     
    nick c, Feb 19, 2012
    #14
  15. mianileng

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 09:50:38 -0600, George Kerby <>
    wrote:
    :
    :
    :
    : On 2/17/12 5:30 AM, in article ,
    : "" <> wrote:
    :
    : > On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 11:18:50 +0530, "mianileng" <>
    : > wrote:
    : >
    : >> I just sent my son to get me some AA Duracell alkalines from the
    : >> neighbourhood camera shop but they told him that they don't stock
    : >> Duracells anymore because they are no longer "good" - a term
    : >> which in my language can refer either to performance or to
    : >> reliability, or both. They offered another brand.
    : >>
    : >> I seldom have a need for alkaline batteries for any purpose, so I
    : >> don't really know what to make of this claim. If it makes any
    : >> difference, I live in India and the Duracells we get here are
    : >> made in China. Can anyone enlighten me?
    : >
    : > Try and get the ones made in Pakistan. They are a real blast to use...
    :
    : <rolls eyes>

    Seconded. A very tacky attempt at humor, "Snapper".

    Bob
     
    Robert Coe, Feb 20, 2012
    #15
  16. mianileng

    mianileng Guest

    Robert Coe wrote:
    > On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 09:50:38 -0600, George Kerby
    > <> wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> On 2/17/12 5:30 AM, in article
    >> ,
    >> ""
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 11:18:50 +0530, "mianileng"
    >>> <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> I just sent my son to get me some AA Duracell alkalines from
    >>>> the
    >>>> neighbourhood camera shop but they told him that they don't
    >>>> stock
    >>>> Duracells anymore because they are no longer "good" - a term
    >>>> which in my language can refer either to performance or to
    >>>> reliability, or both. They offered another brand.
    >>>>
    >>>> I seldom have a need for alkaline batteries for any purpose,
    >>>> so I
    >>>> don't really know what to make of this claim. If it makes
    >>>> any
    >>>> difference, I live in India and the Duracells we get here
    >>>> are
    >>>> made in China. Can anyone enlighten me?
    >>>
    >>> Try and get the ones made in Pakistan. They are a real blast
    >>> to
    >>> use...

    >>
    >> <rolls eyes>

    >
    > Seconded. A very tacky attempt at humor, "Snapper".
    >

    I was in Bombay (now Mumbai) in 1993 when 13 terrorist bombs
    rocked the city. I heard some of the explosions and saw the smoke
    columns, and I saw some of the torn bodies brought by
    blood-soaked samaritans to the hospital where my brother was
    being treated for cancer. I just missed the November 08 outrage
    by those Paki bastards, having left the city after spending a lot
    of time at or near some of the main targets. Somehow I don't find
    snapper's comments clever or amusing.
     
    mianileng, Feb 20, 2012
    #16
  17. "J. Clarke" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    []
    > I can understand the anger. It's not that they leaked, it's that
    > Duracell says that if they leak then Duracell will do something about
    > it, and then they didn't.
    >
    > The exact words of their "guarantee", cut and pasted from their Web
    > site, are: "If not completely satisfied with these alkaline batteries,
    > call 1-800-551-2355 (9:00 a.m. ? 5:00 p.m., EST). We guarantee these
    > alkaline batteries against defects in materials and workmanship. Should
    > any device be damaged due to a battery defect, we will repair or replace
    > it at our option if it is sent with the batteries, postage paid to:
    > Duracell
    > Berkshire Corporate Park
    > Bethel, CT 06801
    > Attention: Consumer Relations Department."
    >
    > <http://www.duracell.com/en-US/product/coppertop-alkaline-
    > batteries.jspx> and click the "details" tab.
    >
    > Energizer has a similar guarantee only they don't put it online.
    >
    > Rayovac doesn't pretend that their batteries won't leak and doesn't
    > pretend that they'll do anything about it.


    Thanks, J. However, your quote only offers replacement for a battery
    defect, not a user error. Better the OP look for the phrase "our
    batteries never leak".

    Cheers,
    David
     
    David J Taylor, Feb 29, 2012
    #17
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.

Share This Page