Are DPreview 's test serious?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by tiresia2@hotmail.it, Nov 1, 2005.

  1. Guest

    , Nov 1, 2005

  2. Rick Yerger Guest

    <> wrote in message news:...
    > Why Dpreview don't have a test about accuracy of the colors....
    >
    > http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/co...gital-Camera-Review-/Testing--Performance.htm
    >
    > ....or about a low-light performances
    > http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/C8080/C88PICS.HTM
    >
    > or flash range test,ecc.?
    > Actually, the best camera test's aren't on dpreview but on
    > imaging-resource..
    > Dp review are much superficial one...
    > What do you think about this?

    I think Phil is stuck between a rock and a hard place.

    If he tells the truth in his reviews, i.e. that subsequent generations
    of digital cameras are noisier and junkier than the ones that
    preceeded it, he's going to lose most or all of his future review
    samples from manufacturers. So he comes up with subjective
    (and ambiguous) phrases such as "acceptable", "adequate" etc
    to describe things like low light performance and noise.
    Rick Yerger, Nov 1, 2005

  3. Guest

    I do not want to attack Phil, but if I must choose 5 ultrazoom
    megapixel that it has faithful colors I must watch here:

    http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/co...gital-Camera-Review-/Testing--Performance.htm

    http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/co...gital-Camera-Review-/Testing--Performance.htm

    and I will understand that I must discard minolta.

    and if I must choose 8 megapixel that it has good low light sensitivity
    I must watch here:

    http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/C8080/FULLRES/8080LL2006.HTM

    http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/PRO1/FULLRES/PRO1LL2006.HTM

    and I will understand that I must discard Oly.

    but these and other important tests there aren't on dpreview.How i can
    choose?

    understand?..;-)
    , Nov 1, 2005
  4. Mark² Guest

    Rick Yerger wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    >> Why Dpreview don't have a test about accuracy of the colors....
    >>
    >> http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/co...gital-Camera-Review-/Testing--Performance.htm
    >>
    >> ....or about a low-light performances
    >> http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/C8080/C88PICS.HTM
    >>
    >> or flash range test,ecc.?
    >> Actually, the best camera test's aren't on dpreview but on
    >> imaging-resource..
    >> Dp review are much superficial one...
    >> What do you think about this?

    > I think Phil is stuck between a rock and a hard place.
    >
    > If he tells the truth in his reviews, i.e. that subsequent generations
    > of digital cameras are noisier and junkier than the ones that
    > preceeded it, he's going to lose most or all of his future review
    > samples from manufacturers. So he comes up with subjective
    > (and ambiguous) phrases such as "acceptable", "adequate" etc
    > to describe things like low light performance and noise.

    I don't know if that's entirely fair...
    Here's a quote from Phil's recent review of the Panasonic Lumix LX1
    regarding noise:

    This is pretty tough stuff:

    " If you feel a 'but' coming on, here it is. To release a camera so
    obviously aimed at the serious photographer, to add so many usable manual
    controls, to put a razor-sharp Leica lens on the front and then to drop in a
    chip / processor that is so noisy you can't use it above ISO 100 is quite
    simply unforgivable. It's like buying a Ferrari and discovering it maxes out
    at 55 mph."

    It gets even worse:
    "We had real difficulty deciding between Above Average and Recommended for
    the LX1; it is capable of delivering stunning resolution, sharpness and
    detail - and is stuffed to the gills with useful photographic features, but
    for a camera to exhibit this level of noise at ISO 80 in 2005 is pretty
    unforgivable. Take a look at the full size shots, print them if you want,
    and decide for yourself if you're happy to make a compromise on noise in
    order to get all that detail."

    So as you can see...even with specific regard to the noise issue, he's been
    quite hard-nosed.

    As to color issues...I wonder if it has anything to do with the recognition
    that it will never translate well over the internet--since probably 95% of
    the masses have monitors that are severely out of whack, much less properly
    calibrated.
    Mark², Nov 1, 2005
  5. Guest

    yes,i agree... i change title .Not "are ...serious?" but
    "are....sufficient?"
    ok?
    , Nov 1, 2005
  6. GTO Guest

    dpreview is for the consumer of P&S and DSLRs. It's not for the people using
    the gears for industrial applications. His investigations are geared towards
    people who just want to use the appropriate cameras for their hobby.

    BTW, he's not often giving an average grade to Canon or Nikon. Maybe the
    site is already non-objective ;-)

    Anyway, it's just a voice in hyperspace that you can believe if you'd like.
    But you better find out on your own.

    Gregor

    GTO, Nov 1, 2005
  7. wrote:
    > Why Dpreview don't have a test about accuracy of the colors....
    >
    > http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/co...gital-Camera-Review-/Testing--Performance.htm
    >
    > ....or about a low-light performances
    > http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/C8080/C88PICS.HTM
    >
    > or flash range test,ecc.?
    > Actually, the best camera test's aren't on dpreview but on
    > imaging-resource..
    > Dp review are much superficial one...
    > What do you think about this?

    You should find a reviewer who agrees with you, or one where you can read
    between the lines. DPreview isn't the only site out there, so if you
    prefer someone else's methods use the other site.

    I don't think there's a single review site where I agree with all the test
    methods used. I might also venture to suggest that many cameras are quite
    similar, and it's handling and ergonomic differences which matter, and
    that's very subjective, personal judgement - you need to hold and operate
    the camera yourself.

    David
    David J Taylor, Nov 1, 2005
  8. In article <eeA9f.2176$>,
    (Rick Yerger) wrote:

    > So he comes up with subjective
    > (and ambiguous) phrases

    I think there's a real art to presenting us with the facts while spinning
    articles so that manufacturers don't feel hard done by. Both are important
    for a review site.

    That's why side by side picture comparisons from different cameras are so
    useful. They speak for themselves.

    Andrew McP
    Andrew MacPherson, Nov 1, 2005
  9. Xiaoding Guest

    When is the last time someone looked a a photo and said "WOW! Those
    colors are really accurate!!" Can't recalll anyone ever saying that.
    :)

    Kodak made film that was accurate, Fuji made film that took realy nice
    pictures. I used Fuji a lot. :)
    Xiaoding, Nov 1, 2005