    http://www.negativland.com/squant/index.html

    Corry
    http://www.unclaimedmysteries.net

    Unclaimed Mysteries, Jul 21, 2003

  2. Unclaimed Mysteries

    Ross Allan Guest

    "Unclaimed Mysteries" <> wrote in message
    > Looking for a mid-range squant-capable digicam. I understand Nikon's new
    > chip is capable of detecting squant, but it is not used in their
    > system. Such a shame, throwing away an entire primary color just for the
    > sake of backward co-compatibility. With film I used to get such rich,
    > vibrant squants using Fuji Velvita.
    >
    > For more info please see
    > http://www.negativland.com/squant/index.html
    >
    > Corry

    *sigh*

    --

    rda

    Ross Allan, Jul 21, 2003

  3. Unclaimed Mysteries <> wrote in news:bfg4sl$k6j$1
    @slb4.atl.mindspring.net:

    > Looking for a mid-range squant-capable digicam. I understand Nikon's new
    > chip is capable of detecting squant,

    Nice try :)

    But the new Nikon chip detects R, G, B and emerald. The emerald being
    in between green and blue. It might be cyan, but it might also be
    something narrower.

    Roland

    Roland Karlsson, Jul 21, 2003
  4. Ross Allan wrote:

    > "Unclaimed Mysteries" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Looking for a mid-range squant-capable digicam. I understand Nikon's new
    >> chip is capable of detecting squant, but it is not used in their
    >>system. Such a shame, throwing away an entire primary color just for the
    >>sake of backward co-compatibility. With film I used to get such rich,
    >>vibrant squants using Fuji Velvita.
    >>
    >>For more info please see
    >>http://www.negativland.com/squant/index.html
    >>
    >>Corry

    > *sigh*

    Yes, yes, I know. I failed to perform research to determine if the
    TOTALLY DIGITAL D666 was squant-enabled. It isn't. It does, however,
    detect N-Rays when dark.

    Sorry for the oversight.

    Unclaimed Mysteries, Jul 21, 2003
  5. Unclaimed Mysteries

    Mxsmanic Guest

    Roland Karlsson writes:

    > But the new Nikon chip detects R, G, B and
    > emerald. The emerald being in between green
    > and blue. It might be cyan, but it might also be
    > something narrower.

    There's no such primary as "emerald." You're falling prey to marketing
    hype.

    Mxsmanic, Jul 21, 2003
  6. Sony are doing something similar with their CCDs
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/diginews.html#sony4color

    Andrew Hardisty, Jul 21, 2003
  7. Unclaimed Mysteries

    Mxsmanic Guest

    Andrew Hardisty writes:

    > Sony are doing something similar with their CCDs
    > http://www.steves-digicams.com/diginews.html#sony4color

    Looks like they are adding cyan pixels. That's hardly new technology.
    Some video cameras have been using the subtractive primaries since
    forever, practically. It provides better luminance resolution and can
    improve color detail resolution, but it reduces color fidelity.

    Mxsmanic, Jul 21, 2003
  8. Andrew Hardisty <> wrote in news:3F1BE625.9090007
    @durham.ac.uk:

    > Sony are doing something similar with their CCDs
    > http://www.steves-digicams.com/diginews.html#sony4color

    Yepp - it ws Sony - not Nikon. Nikon's sensor was this
    CMOS lookalike (LBCAST) thingie.

    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0307/03071802nikonsensor.asp

    BTW - the Maniac ought to understand that Emerald is
    just a name. He also ought to understand that all sensors
    in a sensor array do not need to be prime colors. Moreover,
    the emerald thingie might be cyan, which is a complementary
    prime color.

    Roland

    Roland Karlsson, Jul 21, 2003
  9. Unclaimed Mysteries <> writes:

    > With film I used to get such rich,
    > vibrant squants using Fuji Velvita.

    The problem with digital cameras is that they put the squants between
    upbeat songs and dead dogs. The squant properly belongs between the letter
    U and the numeral 2. You just can't have squants next to Snuffles. And
    digital imagery farces that on you.

    You still can get rich, vibrant sqants with Velvita. You probably are
    setting the film speed to 40, instead of 50. That little kick of
    underexposure locks you right into to squants.

    Hope this is of some help.

    Phil Stripling, Jul 21, 2003
  10. Unclaimed Mysteries

    Mxsmanic Guest

    Phil Stripling writes:

    > You still can get rich, vibrant sqants with Velvita.

    Less filling and tastes great, too!

    Mxsmanic, Jul 21, 2003
  11. Unclaimed Mysteries

    Browntimdc Guest

    Roland Karlsson <> wrote in

    > Andrew Hardisty <> wrote in
    > news:3F1BE625.9090007 @durham.ac.uk:
    >
    >> Sony are doing something similar with their CCDs
    >> http://www.steves-digicams.com/diginews.html#sony4color
    >>

    > Yepp - it ws Sony - not Nikon. Nikon's sensor was this
    > CMOS lookalike (LBCAST) thingie.
    >
    > http://www.dpreview.com/news/0307/03071802nikonsensor.asp
    >
    > BTW - the Maniac ought to understand that Emerald is
    > just a name. He also ought to understand that all sensors
    > in a sensor array do not need to be prime colors. Moreover,
    > the emerald thingie might be cyan, which is a complementary
    > prime color.
    >

    > Roland

    Sounds similar to Fuji Reala film fourth layer.

    Browntimdc, Jul 21, 2003
  12. Unclaimed Mysteries

    Mxsmanic Guest

    Browntimdc writes:

    > Doesn't the Fuji New New Reala film have a
    > fifth layer for squant?

    Reala 1000G has a fifth dimension.

    Mxsmanic, Jul 21, 2003
  13. Unclaimed Mysteries

    Mark B. Guest

    > Looking for a mid-range squant-capable digicam. I understand Nikon's new
    > chip is capable of detecting squant, but it is not used in their
    > system. Such a shame, throwing away an entire primary color just for the
    > sake of backward co-compatibility. With film I used to get such rich,
    > vibrant squants using Fuji Velvita.

    cheesy film?

    Mark B., Jul 22, 2003
  14. Unclaimed Mysteries

    daytripper Guest

    On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 20:35:11 -0400, "Mark B." <>
    wrote:

    >"Unclaimed Mysteries" <> wrote in message
    >> Looking for a mid-range squant-capable digicam. I understand Nikon's new
    >> chip is capable of detecting squant, but it is not used in their
    >> system. Such a shame, throwing away an entire primary color just for the
    >> sake of backward co-compatibility. With film I used to get such rich,
    >> vibrant squants using Fuji Velvita.

    >cheesy film?

    lmao!

    daytripper, Jul 22, 2003
  15. Unclaimed Mysteries

    Frank ess Guest

    "daytripper" <> wrote in message
    | On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 20:35:11 -0400, "Mark B."
    <>
    | wrote:
    |

    | >"Unclaimed Mysteries" <> wrote in message
    | >> Looking for a mid-range squant-capable digicam. I understand
    Nikon's new
    | >> chip is capable of detecting squant, but it is not used in their
    | >> system. Such a shame, throwing away an entire primary color just
    for the
    | >> sake of backward co-compatibility. With film I used to get such
    rich,
    | >> vibrant squants using Fuji Velvita.
    | >
    | >cheesy film?
    |
    | lmao!

    Ekshly, a film-like, celluloid-like photography product.

    Frank ess, Jul 22, 2003
  16. Unclaimed Mysteries

    John Navas Guest

    In <> on Mon, 21 Jul 2003 13:32:40
    +0200, Mxsmanic <> wrote:

    >Roland Karlsson writes:
    >
    >> But the new Nikon chip detects R, G, B and
    >> emerald. The emerald being in between green
    >> and blue. It might be cyan, but it might also be
    >> something narrower.

    >There's no such primary as "emerald." You're falling prey to marketing
    >hype.

    Better than falling prey to troll. ;-)

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas

    John Navas, Jul 22, 2003
  17. Unclaimed Mysteries

    Prime Guest

    Mxsmanic <> wrote in

    > Unclaimed Mysteries writes:
    >
    >> Looking for a mid-range squant-capable digicam.
    >> I understand Nikon's new chip is capable of
    >> detecting squant, but it is not used in their
    >> system.

    > Kodak's new DCS 14n is rumored capable of recording it; that's why it
    > has a bit more trouble with the other three primaries. However, you
    > would need SEEUDDs (Squant-Enabled End-User Display Devices) to see the
    > difference, and most such devices are classified.
    >
    >> Such a shame, throwing away an entire primary
    >> color just for the sake of backward co-compatibility.
    >> With film I used to get such rich, vibrant squants
    >> using Fuji Velvita.

    > Squant was the first color successfully captured by film, in fact.

    Even
    > Tri-X records squant, although it requires special development to show
    > this on the final negative.
    >
    > There is a lot of interest in squant-sensitive capture in the military,
    > and rumor has it that squant-enabled imaging systems are already
    > deployed on secret military satellites. One of their key advantages is
    > that they allow imaging of weapons of mass destruction, most of which
    > are almost monochromatically squant in color, reflecting no other

    light.
    > Normal imaging systems thus do not see them. Both the USA and the UK
    > are said to have deployed such systems, but the technology is still so
    > highly classified that it hasn't been shared with their allies.
    >
    > Because of the sensitivity of squant-sensitive imaging from a security
    > standpoint, I would not hold my breath about seeing it become widely
    > available in consumer and ordinary pro gear any time soon. The DCS 14n
    > documentation doesn't even mention it, and I think any sensitivity it
    > shows was just something that slipped through the cracks, not an
    > intention design feature (or perhaps it is partially developed from
    > military technology).

    After doing some infrared, I became interested in squant photography with
    the standard prosumer cameras. I found a classified source (a friend who
    works with the DOD) who provided me with some celluloid squant filter
    material. I fashioned an adaptor to my Oly C-3000, and did a test by
    using the remote control for my television. It's true! Not only does the
    remote give out squant in significant amounts, my Oly has some
    sensitivity to squant. I then did some photography using a tripod and
    some long exposures - I needed about 6 EV more exposure than normal with
    the filter attached. The resulting squant photos are quite interesting.
    One of the challenges in allowing this to be released to the public is
    that most normal textiles are transparent to squant. My trip to the beach
    proved that!

    I suspect that clothing manufacturers will have to work on squant-opaque
    coatings for most normal fabrics. In the meantime... well, let's just say
    that I'm going to be vacationing in the tropics over the next few
    weeks...

    Prime

    Prime, Jul 22, 2003