    BDB Guest

    Are cellphone alerts only available from an internet mail service such as
    yahoo, gmail or msn hotmail rather than outlook express? Bill
    BDB, May 17, 2006

  2. BDB

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 17 May 2006 07:47:13 -0400, "BDB" <>
    wrote:

    >Are cellphone alerts only available from an internet mail service such as
    >yahoo, gmail or msn hotmail rather than outlook express? Bill

    You could create a rule in OutHouse to send an e-mail I believe, and
    have it send an e-mail to your cell phone.
    Evan Platt, May 17, 2006

  3. BDB

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-05-17, BDB <> wrote:
    > Are cellphone alerts only available from an internet mail service such as
    > yahoo, gmail or msn hotmail rather than outlook express? Bill

    'Outlook Express' is a program running on your own computer; unless you
    know how to find or create a program that can send an 'alert' from your
    computer to a mobile phone, you can't do that. (It is technically
    possible, but if you need to ask ...)

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, May 17, 2006
  4. BDB

    Trax Guest

    Trax, May 17, 2006
  5. BDB

    Vanguard Guest

    "BDB" <> wrote in message
    > Are cellphone alerts only available from an internet mail service such
    > as yahoo, gmail or msn hotmail rather than outlook express? Bill

    Outlook Express is not an e-mail service. Outlook Express is a
    client-side mail program.

    If your current e-mail provider doesn't provide mobile alerts (or you
    don't want to use it) and for some reason you want to continue using
    that e-mail address rather than use another that does have the service
    you want, you could define a rule in OE to forward all your mails to
    another e-mail service that does provide the mobile alerts that you
    want. However, obviously you would need to leave your computer on all
    the time running Windows with OE left loaded and doing automated polls
    for new mails. Can be done but using any e-mail client with rules as a
    substitute mail server makes for a very flaky setup. Check if your
    current e-mail service provides for server-side rules or forwarding so
    the mails are forwarded from your mailbox as soon as they arrive and it
    is handled by the mail server.

    Post replies to the newsgroup. Share with others.
    Vanguard, May 17, 2006
  6. BDB wrote:
    > Are cellphone alerts only available from an internet mail service
    > such as yahoo, gmail or msn hotmail rather than outlook express? Bill

    You gotten some good replies, so I only want to add this:

    1. You should be able to set up email alerts through your cellphone
    service provider. I use T-Mobile, and that's how I did it because it
    gave me plenty of control over which messages I received.

    2. There's a program called TeleMessage which will give you alerts from
    Outlook and a whole lot more...if you can get it to work, which I could
    not. (Actually, I was trying to use the fax service, and when I couldn't
    get it to send a fax for me, I removed the whole thing. So I don't know
    how the other services work.) I found this program following links from
    the Microsoft website, and the company is considered a "partner," if
    that means anything:

    http://www.telemessage.com/

    IIRC, most of the service is free.

    rl
    --
    Rhonda Lea Kirk

    www.jlaforums.com, among other sites, steals usenet newsgroup posts,
    and tries to mislead the public into thinking the posts come from them.
    They do not. If you see this sig, or this nic, in *any* post, the post
    originated in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, and jlaforums or one of the other
    thieving sites has deliberately stolen and reposted it in their site
    forums.
    Rhonda Lea Kirk, May 17, 2006