Are Blu-Ray discs going to use a caddy?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Dennis Q. Wilson, Oct 21, 2005.

  1. Or will they be "standalone" like CDs and DVDs?
    Dennis Q. Wilson, Oct 21, 2005

  2. Dennis Q. Wilson

    Tarkus Guest

    On 10/21/2005 10:21:48 AM, Dennis Q. Wilson wrote:

    > Or will they be "standalone" like CDs and DVDs?

    ^ This. ^
    --
    "That movie has warped my fragile little mind."

    Now playing: "Howard Stern - 10-21-2005 Show part 01 "
    Tarkus, Oct 21, 2005

  3. Dennis Q. Wilson

    Goro Guest

    Dennis Q. Wilson wrote:
    > Or will they be "standalone" like CDs and DVDs?

    I'd guess that they'd be standalone and as fragile as possible so that
    when you bork your BluRay disc you'll have to buy another (since they
    are resisting Managed Copying or anything like that).

    Seriously, I thought there was some "announcement" about a YEAR ago
    that they were going to be in caddies (b/c the Rental industry wanted
    it), but then I never really heard much else in the current time frame
    about it.

    -goro-
    Goro, Oct 21, 2005
  4. Dennis Q. Wilson

    Guest

    Goro wrote:
    > Dennis Q. Wilson wrote:
    > > Or will they be "standalone" like CDs and DVDs?

    > I'd guess that they'd be standalone and as fragile as possible so that
    > when you bork your BluRay disc you'll have to buy another (since they
    > are resisting Managed Copying or anything like that).
    >
    > Seriously, I thought there was some "announcement" about a YEAR ago
    > that they were going to be in caddies (b/c the Rental industry wanted
    > it), but then I never really heard much else in the current time frame
    > about it.
    >
    > -goro-

    This reply is going to go seriously OT after the first sentence so feel
    free to skip if you want.

    Man I haven't seen a CD in a caddy since 1993 when my high school
    library had one of those IBM PS/2 model 25 PC's with an external 1x or
    2x caddy cd-rom drive. I can't remember what multimedia purpose we
    used the ps/2 for but I'm almost positive the IBM XT we had parked next
    to it with the puke-green screen was novell netwared into the computer
    that cataloged all the books in the library and what was checked in and
    out. I can't remember what the XT did before 1994. Then of course you
    had across the library the lone Apple IIe and it's AppleWorks floppy's
    sitting in between four microfeech readers and the epson 9-pin dot
    matrix printer. Tracking down and printing your work on one of the
    very few 24-pin epsons hooked to one of the Only-God-Knows-How-Many or
    more Apple IIe's around the building was like christmas day.

    Getting back to the thread, basically caddy's suck because you end up
    touching the disc more to get it in and out of the caddy that you do
    with a traditional pop-out tray. That's kind of why caddies went
    bye-bye in the transition between 486 and pentium-based clones.
    , Oct 22, 2005
  5. Dennis Q. Wilson

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Goro" <> wrote in message
    > Seriously, I thought there was some "announcement" about a YEAR ago
    > that they were going to be in caddies (b/c the Rental industry wanted
    > it), but then I never really heard much else in the current time frame
    > about it.

    The Blu-Ray recordable format that's been available in Japan for a few
    years now uses a caddy. The upcoming Blu-Ray playback format will not
    use a caddy.

    The two formats, despite having the same name, will not be compatible.
    Joshua Zyber, Oct 22, 2005
  6. Dennis Q. Wilson

    AZ Nomad Guest

    On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 00:33:49 GMT, Joshua Zyber <> wrote:

    >"Goro" <> wrote in message
    >> Seriously, I thought there was some "announcement" about a YEAR ago
    >> that they were going to be in caddies (b/c the Rental industry wanted
    >> it), but then I never really heard much else in the current time frame
    >> about it.

    >The Blu-Ray recordable format that's been available in Japan for a few
    >years now uses a caddy. The upcoming Blu-Ray playback format will not
    >use a caddy.

    Of course not. A caddy would protect the disks and reduce the profits from
    selling replacement media at full price.
    AZ Nomad, Oct 22, 2005
  7. Dennis Q. Wilson

    Goro Guest

    wrote:
    *snip*
    > Getting back to the thread, basically caddy's suck because you end up
    > touching the disc more to get it in and out of the caddy that you do
    > with a traditional pop-out tray. That's kind of why caddies went
    > bye-bye in the transition between 486 and pentium-based clones.

    Well, the idea was that the entire "disc" was actually a caddy with the
    BluRay disc inside. That is to say, the disc inside is NON-removable
    (kinda like the magnetic media within a 3.5" floppy disc).

    -goro-
    Goro, Oct 22, 2005
  8. Dennis Q. Wilson

    Alpha Guest

    "Joshua Zyber" <> wrote in message
    > "Goro" <> wrote in message
    >> Seriously, I thought there was some "announcement" about a YEAR ago
    >> that they were going to be in caddies (b/c the Rental industry wanted
    >> it), but then I never really heard much else in the current time frame
    >> about it.

    > The Blu-Ray recordable format that's been available in Japan for a few
    > years now uses a caddy. The upcoming Blu-Ray playback format will not use
    > a caddy.
    >
    > The two formats, despite having the same name, will not be compatible.

    This is correct information.
    Alpha, Oct 22, 2005
  9. Dennis Q. Wilson

    Tarkus Guest

    On 10/21/2005 9:32:26 PM, Alpha wrote:

    > "Joshua Zyber" <> wrote in message
    >> "Goro" <> wrote in message
    >>> Seriously, I thought there was some "announcement" about a YEAR ago
    >>> that they were going to be in caddies (b/c the Rental industry
    >>> wanted it), but then I never really heard much else in the current
    >>> time frame about it.

    >> The Blu-Ray recordable format that's been available in Japan for a few
    >> years now uses a caddy. The upcoming Blu-Ray playback format will not
    >> use a caddy.
    >>
    >> The two formats, despite having the same name, will not be compatible.

    > This is correct information.

    Finally, the definitive word!
    --
    "There is no such thing as a soul. It's just something parents made up
    to scare children, like the boogeyman or Michael Jackson."

    Now playing: "REO Speedwagon - Golden Country"
    Tarkus, Oct 22, 2005
  10. Dennis Q. Wilson

    Black Locust Guest

    In article <>,
    "Goro" <> wrote:

    > Seriously, I thought there was some "announcement" about a YEAR ago
    > that they were going to be in caddies (b/c the Rental industry wanted
    > it), but then I never really heard much else in the current time frame
    > about it

    It had nothing to do with the rental industry(though i'm sure
    blockbuster would love it). They were going to be inside caddies because
    the data density is so much higher than a DVD(or CD) that the players
    error-correction wouldn't be sufficient enough to handle even minor,
    surface scratches. But they've since then, Sony has changed the design
    over to a special 'protective coating' that TDK has developed.
    Apparently this coating will protect the discs from 90% of the scratches
    that could possibly be inflicted and will also protect the discs from
    fingerprint smudges.

    And I'm pretty sure Netflix wanted no part of the caddy design(think
    about it...). :)
    Black Locust, Oct 22, 2005
  11. Dennis Q. Wilson

    Alpha Guest