    What I don't understand is why the media never reports on this.
    We just continue shelling out the bucks like suckers taking it
    all for granted.
    Vallant, Sep 7, 2004

  2. Vallant

    Ionizer Guest

    "Vallant" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > After all,
    > 1.They know all about viruses.
    > 2.Chances of exposure and apprehension are slim.
    > 3.They have the obvious motive of lucrative financial gain.
    >
    > Of course,you'd think someone would come out and blow the whistle
    > at one of the software companies.....
    > Then again,they could be doing that now but authorities can't
    > build a case against one person.
    >
    > What I don't understand is why the media never reports on this.
    > We just continue shelling out the bucks like suckers taking it
    > all for granted.

    Here's a media report for you, but it doesn't take the conspiracy theory
    angle you're proposing:

    http://www.theregister.com/2003/09/05/the_trouble_with_antivirus/

    "Who cares about improving product - when the share price is soaring?
    So there's a problem - but one that the mainstream AV industry has no
    financial incentive to solve. Quite the opposite, in fact. The worse
    things become the rosier the financial future looks for AV vendors, at
    least in the short term."

    --
    Ian.
    Ionizer, Sep 7, 2004

  3. Vallant

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    My mate a few years back claimed there was a virus in one of the Norton
    updates but I think that's a load of bollocks.

    LJ
    Lloyd Jones, Sep 7, 2004
  4. Vallant

    Thor Guest

    "Vallant" <> wrote in message
    > After all,
    > 1.They know all about viruses.
    > 2.Chances of exposure and apprehension are slim.
    > 3.They have the obvious motive of lucrative financial gain.
    >
    > Of course,you'd think someone would come out and blow the whistle
    > at one of the software companies.....
    > Then again,they could be doing that now but authorities can't
    > build a case against one person.
    >
    > What I don't understand is why the media never reports on this.
    > We just continue shelling out the bucks like suckers taking it
    > all for granted.

    I hear this theory postulated by the occasional conspiracy-minded customer.
    But people with these suspicions must realize that there are more than
    enough people around the world with the malicious or thrill-seeking intent,
    combined with the programming skills necessary to create and distribute
    viruses. There are sizable virus writer/hacker subcultures out there that
    thrive on the publicity and notoriety of fast spreading and prolific
    viruses, and hacking of websites and company systems. I've been around such
    people before, and it is disturbing the level of disconnection these people
    have with the rest of the society. Typically young, teens to early 20s,
    somewhat gifted in computer knowledge, but with a destructive or anarchist
    streak running through them, and a complete lack of concern about the damage
    and problems their viruses can inflict. The AV companies, while they are
    indeed making money hand-over-fist from the phenomenon, have nothing to do
    with the creation of viruses and worms. It defies common sense that they
    would be involved in such an act. Destructive-minded individuals of society
    are ever-present, and are all-too-willing to do the job. The AV companies
    need not lift a finger. And besides, if the AV companies were doing this, it
    would not remain a secret for long, and there would be a massive criminal
    penalities and class-action lawsuits if they were ever caught doing it. Such
    an act would be so far over the top and outwardly criminal that they would
    be insane to ever attempt it given the likelihood that the truth would leak
    eventually, completely destroying their companies in the process, and
    sending most of the management to jail.
    Thor, Sep 7, 2004
  5. It's possible.

    I've heard the maker of certain very popular freeware spyware removal tools is
    on the actual team that creates the spyware itself.

    Idea being, he's the first to release the fixes even before Ad Aware and
    Spybot. So eventually a large company will come along and buy him out for big
    bucks.

    Create problem. Create solution. Sell solution.
    Matthew Superstar Swass, Sep 7, 2004
  6. Vallant

    Thor Guest

    "Matthew Superstar Swass" <> wrote in message
    > It's possible.
    >
    > I've heard the maker of certain very popular freeware spyware removal

    tools is
    > on the actual team that creates the spyware itself.

    The difference is that spyware itself is in kind of a legal gray area
    because the term covers many different bits of undesirable software, and
    different methods by which it gets installed. Viruses are clearly illegal to
    distribute. It is possible for someone to create a (currently) legal bit of
    adware/spyware, and then turn around and sell the solution to get rid of it.
    But for a company to write and distribute viruses is a completely different
    sort of legal risk. A much more severe one, and highly unlikely given the
    consequences of getting caught.
    Thor, Sep 7, 2004
  7. Vallant

    wodger Guest

    Vallant <> wrote:

    > After all,
    > 1.They know all about viruses.
    > 2.Chances of exposure and apprehension are slim.
    > 3.They have the obvious motive of lucrative financial gain.
    >
    > Of course,you'd think someone would come out and blow the whistle
    > at one of the software companies.....
    > Then again,they could be doing that now but authorities can't
    > build a case against one person.
    >
    > What I don't understand is why the media never reports on this.
    > We just continue shelling out the bucks like suckers taking it
    > all for granted.

    it is a idea i've heard for a number of years, to be honest i don't
    credit it much credibilty but would agree with the idea voiced in the
    register artical that the security firms have no isencitvity to fix the
    situaction, as at the moment they are sitting pritty no dought rakinging
    a tidy profit.

    roger
    wodger, Sep 7, 2004
  8. Vallant

    Chet Guest

    Under the general heading of "I may be paranoid but people really are out
    to get me"
    Chet, Sep 7, 2004
  9. Vallant

    Bill Unruh Guest

    (wodger) writes:

    ]Vallant <> wrote:

    ]> After all,
    ]> 1.They know all about viruses.
    ]> 2.Chances of exposure and apprehension are slim.
    ]> 3.They have the obvious motive of lucrative financial gain.
    ]>
    ]> Of course,you'd think someone would come out and blow the whistle
    ]> at one of the software companies.....
    ]> Then again,they could be doing that now but authorities can't
    ]> build a case against one person.
    ]>
    ]> What I don't understand is why the media never reports on this.
    ]> We just continue shelling out the bucks like suckers taking it
    ]> all for granted.

    There are many things the media do not report on-- the fact that all of the
    members of the Senate are actually aliens, the fact that cars really run on
    the water vapour in the gasoline and there is no energy crisis, the fact
    that Hitler is alive and well and living in Kansas, etc.
    Bill Unruh, Sep 7, 2004
  10. "Bill Unruh" <> wrote in message
    > (wodger) writes:
    >
    > ]Vallant <> wrote:
    >
    > ]> After all,
    > ]> 1.They know all about viruses.
    > ]> 2.Chances of exposure and apprehension are slim.
    > ]> 3.They have the obvious motive of lucrative financial gain.
    > ]>
    > ]> Of course,you'd think someone would come out and blow the whistle
    > ]> at one of the software companies.....
    > ]> Then again,they could be doing that now but authorities can't
    > ]> build a case against one person.
    > ]>
    > ]> What I don't understand is why the media never reports on this.
    > ]> We just continue shelling out the bucks like suckers taking it
    > ]> all for granted.
    >
    > There are many things the media do not report on-- the fact that all of

    the
    > members of the Senate are actually aliens, the fact that cars really run

    on
    > the water vapour in the gasoline and there is no energy crisis, the fact
    > that Hitler is alive and well and living in Kansas, etc.

    I thought that was Elvis? ;o)

    Anyway.. certain of the companies don't help their reputation by counting
    "not seen in the wild" viruses - i.e. simple modifications of "standard" or
    "what-if" code.

    Not that I'm suggesting that these things are /released/.. still, it's
    enough to make the more (cough) "wobbly" netizens take note ;o)

    --

    Hairy One Kenobi

    in the first place. So there!
    Hairy One Kenobi, Sep 8, 2004
  11. Vallant

    mcp6453 Guest

    Thor wrote:

    > "Vallant" <> wrote in message
    > > After all,
    > > 1.They know all about viruses.
    > > 2.Chances of exposure and apprehension are slim.
    > > 3.They have the obvious motive of lucrative financial gain.
    > >
    > > Of course,you'd think someone would come out and blow the whistle
    > > at one of the software companies.....
    > > Then again,they could be doing that now but authorities can't
    > > build a case against one person.
    > >
    > > What I don't understand is why the media never reports on this.
    > > We just continue shelling out the bucks like suckers taking it
    > > all for granted.

    > I hear this theory postulated by the occasional conspiracy-minded customer.
    > But people with these suspicions must realize that there are more than
    > enough people around the world with the malicious or thrill-seeking intent,
    > combined with the programming skills necessary to create and distribute
    > viruses. There are sizable virus writer/hacker subcultures out there that
    > thrive on the publicity and notoriety of fast spreading and prolific
    > viruses, and hacking of websites and company systems. I've been around such
    > people before, and it is disturbing the level of disconnection these people
    > have with the rest of the society. Typically young, teens to early 20s,
    > somewhat gifted in computer knowledge, but with a destructive or anarchist
    > streak running through them, and a complete lack of concern about the damage
    > and problems their viruses can inflict. The AV companies, while they are
    > indeed making money hand-over-fist from the phenomenon, have nothing to do
    > with the creation of viruses and worms. It defies common sense that they
    > would be involved in such an act. Destructive-minded individuals of society
    > are ever-present, and are all-too-willing to do the job. The AV companies
    > need not lift a finger. And besides, if the AV companies were doing this, it
    > would not remain a secret for long, and there would be a massive criminal
    > penalities and class-action lawsuits if they were ever caught doing it. Such
    > an act would be so far over the top and outwardly criminal that they would
    > be insane to ever attempt it given the likelihood that the truth would leak
    > eventually, completely destroying their companies in the process, and
    > sending most of the management to jail.

    Thor! Don't tell me you've given up on paragraphs!!
    mcp6453, Sep 8, 2004
  12. Vallant

    Thor Guest

    > Thor! Don't tell me you've given up on paragraphs!!

    Got no use for 'em. A waste of good text space. heh, heh. ;-)
    Thor, Sep 8, 2004
  13. Vallant

    Al Smith Guest

    > After all,
    > 1.They know all about viruses.
    > 2.Chances of exposure and apprehension are slim.
    > 3.They have the obvious motive of lucrative financial gain.

    You left out the part about them all being members of the
    Illuminati Brotherhood with a plan to take over the world in 2011.
    Al Smith, Sep 8, 2004
  14. "Al Smith" <> wrote in message
    > > After all,
    > > 1.They know all about viruses.
    > > 2.Chances of exposure and apprehension are slim.
    > > 3.They have the obvious motive of lucrative financial gain.

    > You left out the part about them all being members of the
    > Illuminati Brotherhood with a plan to take over the world in 2011.

    I thought that was 2037.. ;o)

    --

    Hairy One Kenobi

    in the first place. So there!
    Hairy One Kenobi, Sep 9, 2004
  15. Vallant

    IAN GARDNER Guest

    > It's possible.
    >
    > I've heard the maker of certain very popular freeware spyware removal
    > tools is
    > on the actual team that creates the spyware itself.
    >
    > Idea being, he's the first to release the fixes even before Ad Aware and
    > Spybot. So eventually a large company will come along and buy him out for
    > big
    > bucks.
    >
    > Create problem. Create solution. Sell solution.

    I could not tell this public group my computer security but people I know
    who virus checkers and firewalls seem to get all the viruses. I`ve been
    clear for years and never had one! When i`ve sent emails everywhere I`ve had
    no comeback saying my email had a virus! Lucky or what.You all decide!

    --
    IAN. P. GARDNER
    ISLE OF WIGHT
    IAN GARDNER, Sep 14, 2004
  16. Vallant

    Anonymous Guest

    (Vallant) wrote in news:ffa9484e.0409062241.6960f248
    @posting.google.com:

    > After all,
    > 1.They know all about viruses.
    > 2.Chances of exposure and apprehension are slim.
    > 3.They have the obvious motive of lucrative financial gain.
    >
    > Of course,you'd think someone would come out and blow the whistle
    > at one of the software companies.....
    > Then again,they could be doing that now but authorities can't
    > build a case against one person.
    >
    > What I don't understand is why the media never reports on this.
    > We just continue shelling out the bucks like suckers taking it
    > all for granted.

    Most good antivirus vendors have a very strict policy regarding employing
    known virus writers: they do not employ them.
    Check out these articles by Sophos Plc:
    http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/articles/mydoomuvw.html
    http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/articles/calgary.html
    http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/articles/calgaryletter.html

    A quote from http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/articles/calgary.html states
    'Sophos points out that none of the researchers working in its labs write
    malicious code, as there is no need to do this to achieve a better
    understanding of how to defeat viruses.'
    I'm sure most other good AV companies adopt the same policies.
    Anonymous, Sep 16, 2004