Are all Wifi cards essentially the same....???

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by LEESA, Sep 24, 2009.

  1. LEESA

    LEESA Guest

    I'm not very technically informed but assuming that the Wifi part of
    the computer is a "receiver"... something like a radio receiver does
    that mean that there are factors that control how good your signal is
    other than how close to the signal source you are?

    Are these Wifi cards in fact, radio "receivers"? The reason I ask is
    that when dealing with radios, ie... ham radio, shortwave etc...
    there are lots of factors that ultimately determine your success.
    Things such as a receivers "sensitivity" etc... Often, a radio can
    actually be "tweaked" to enhance its perfomance to a large degree.

    So... in closing, do the same laws apply to Wifi as they do to radio
    receivers? Can you get better cards, tweak settings etc... To
    enhance your range and overall Wifi experience?

    Thanks in advance guys... : - )

    LEESA (I)
    LEESA, Sep 24, 2009

  2. On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 08:34:43 -0700, LEESA wrote:

    > I'm not very technically informed but assuming that the Wifi part of
    > the computer is a "receiver"... something like a radio receiver does
    > that mean that there are factors that control how good your signal is
    > other than how close to the signal source you are?
    >
    > Are these Wifi cards in fact, radio "receivers"? The reason I ask is
    > that when dealing with radios, ie... ham radio, shortwave etc...
    > there are lots of factors that ultimately determine your success.
    > Things such as a receivers "sensitivity" etc... Often, a radio can
    > actually be "tweaked" to enhance its perfomance to a large degree.
    >
    > So... in closing, do the same laws apply to Wifi as they do to radio
    > receivers? Can you get better cards, tweak settings etc... To
    > enhance your range and overall Wifi experience?
    >
    > Thanks in advance guys... : - )
    >
    > LEESA (I)

    Get a fractal antenna!!111!!!!
    I think you could research the topic yourself with the
    google and searching on "WiFi hacks".

    ^_^
    §ñühw¤£f, Sep 24, 2009

  3. LEESA

    Rôgêr Guest

    LEESA wrote:
    > I'm not very technically informed but assuming that the Wifi part of
    > the computer is a "receiver"... something like a radio receiver does
    > that mean that there are factors that control how good your signal is
    > other than how close to the signal source you are?
    >
    > Are these Wifi cards in fact, radio "receivers"? The reason I ask is
    > that when dealing with radios, ie... ham radio, shortwave etc...
    > there are lots of factors that ultimately determine your success.
    > Things such as a receivers "sensitivity" etc... Often, a radio can
    > actually be "tweaked" to enhance its perfomance to a large degree.
    >
    > So... in closing, do the same laws apply to Wifi as they do to radio
    > receivers? Can you get better cards, tweak settings etc... To
    > enhance your range and overall Wifi experience?

    RF is RF, the laws don't change because you're hooking up computers.

    And they are not receivers, such as an FM radio is, they are
    transceivers. They send and receive. And yes, there are differences in
    sensitivities, power output, antenna, processing signals and software
    support. Tweaking is pretty "iffy". Using the latest drivers usually
    helps, using third-party firmware tweaks may or may not help.

    If there is any way to hook up external antennas to your equipment, that
    would open up a whole new way to extend your range and signal strength.

    Perhaps if you framed your question around a specific piece of equipment
    you could get more specific answers. But I'd recommend trying
    alt.internet.wireless and hope that Jeff Liebermann chooses to respond
    to your question.
    Rôgêr, Sep 24, 2009
  4. LEESA

    squirltop Guest

    LEESA wrote:
    > I'm not very technically informed but assuming that the Wifi part of
    > the computer is a "receiver"... something like a radio receiver does
    > that mean that there are factors that control how good your signal is
    > other than how close to the signal source you are?
    >
    > Are these Wifi cards in fact, radio "receivers"? The reason I ask is
    > that when dealing with radios, ie... ham radio, shortwave etc...
    > there are lots of factors that ultimately determine your success.
    > Things such as a receivers "sensitivity" etc... Often, a radio can
    > actually be "tweaked" to enhance its perfomance to a large degree.
    >
    > So... in closing, do the same laws apply to Wifi as they do to radio
    > receivers? Can you get better cards, tweak settings etc... To
    > enhance your range and overall Wifi experience?
    >
    > Thanks in advance guys... : - )
    >
    > LEESA (I)

    I just have trendnet cards and trendnet router. The router offers
    higher signal settings. The router was I believe 5 or 10 dollars new,
    and the cards 5 bucks each new. Have all worked very well.

    Even moving the router a few inches can turn a lets say 80% signal
    into 33% something like that.

    Anyway the router after updating the firmware had a noticable boost in
    performance, and just days ago updated the cards software and that
    made a veryy significant difference in noted
    signal level availability. Worked just fine before, works even better
    now.

    Yea I don't know if an $80 dollar card is better but I get all the
    performance and useful software I seek from a card that costed 5
    bucks. It was obviously on sale, so I got a couple just for fun.

    One a card and other usb.
    squirltop, Sep 26, 2009