Are all WIFI cards basically the same...???

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by BILLINE, Feb 14, 2009.

  1. BILLINE

    BILLINE Guest

    Get a laptop with the N wireless. You will not regret for doing so.

    <> wrote in message
    >I am thinking of getting a laptop and from what I understand most of
    > them today come with WIFI built in. Are all of the WIFI cards pretty
    > much the same?
    >
    > For instance... sometimes certain cell phones will have better
    > receiving sensitivity than others. Is this the same with WIFI? Is
    > there a chance that the guy sitting near me gets a signal and I don't
    > sometimes?
    >
    > Is there anything to look for to tell if you are getting a good
    > wireless (receiver) or a bad one?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > LEESA (I)
    >
    > PS: Sorry if I've used incorrect "lingo" in my questioning.

  3. BILLINE

    Mike Easter Guest

    wrote:
    > I am thinking of getting a laptop and from what I understand most of
    > them today come with WIFI built in. Are all of the WIFI cards pretty
    > much the same?

    No.

    > For instance... sometimes certain cell phones will have better
    > receiving sensitivity than others. Is this the same with WIFI? Is
    > there a chance that the guy sitting near me gets a signal and I don't
    > sometimes?

    Yes.

    > Is there anything to look for to tell if you are getting a good
    > wireless (receiver) or a bad one?

    I don't think you are going to make a decision about which laptop you buy
    based on your investigation of the potential for its wireless
    capabilities. I think it is more likely that you will buy a laptop based
    on other considerations.

    Then, if and when you are having trouble with some wifi related problem,
    you will have to figure out some way to upgrade your LT's wireless
    deficiency. It is unlikely that the LT will have the facility for adding
    an external antenna. It is unlikely that it will be easy to upgrade the
    LT's mobo with a different wifi card. It is more 'do-able' to upgrade a
    LT's wifi deficiency by adding a USB wifi with an external antenna if you
    need to go that far.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Feb 15, 2009
  4. BILLINE

    Guest

    Thanks guys for the replies. I have found them to be helpful.

    LEESA (I)
    , Feb 19, 2009