    there is still one or two more effective?

    Cheers

    Ted

    maflu, Mar 2, 2004

  2. maflu

    Leythos Guest

    In article <40445fb4$0$28116$>,
    says...
    > Hello,
    >
    > It seems that now all the main antivirus programs are more or less
    > equally effective. Can I buy any for Windows XP pro or do you think
    > there is still one or two more effective?

    No, they are not, there are large differences in updates to new threats,
    ability to scan real-time for the scanning engines, and the ability to
    detect NEW threats that don't currently have definitions.

    (Remove 999 to reply to me)

    Leythos, Mar 2, 2004

  3. maflu

    maflu Guest

    Leythos wrote:
    > In article <40445fb4$0$28116$>,
    > says...
    >
    >>Hello,
    >>
    >>It seems that now all the main antivirus programs are more or less
    >>equally effective. Can I buy any for Windows XP pro or do you think
    >>there is still one or two more effective?

    > No, they are not, there are large differences in updates to new threats,
    > ability to scan real-time for the scanning engines, and the ability to
    > detect NEW threats that don't currently have definitions.

    What would you recommend?

    maflu, Mar 2, 2004
  4. maflu

    Leythos Guest

    In article <4044c7a6$0$28124$>,
    says...
    > Leythos wrote:
    > > In article <40445fb4$0$28116$>,
    > > says...
    > >
    > >>Hello,
    > >>
    > >>It seems that now all the main antivirus programs are more or less
    > >>equally effective. Can I buy any for Windows XP pro or do you think
    > >>there is still one or two more effective?

    > > No, they are not, there are large differences in updates to new threats,
    > > ability to scan real-time for the scanning engines, and the ability to
    > > detect NEW threats that don't currently have definitions.
    > >

    > What would you recommend?

    I had wanted to stay out of a recommendation since it always starts a
    product flame war, but I have used Symantec Corporate AV products and
    their personal ones for many moons and they have NEVER let me down.

    I can honestly say that in the 20+ years I've been using, designing, and
    programming computers and networks I've never been compromised nor have
    any systems that I've managed.

    A large part of that is installing quality AV software and knowing how
    to lock machines down from users and intruders.

    I've been using Symantec Small Business 8.x (at 8.1 now) edition on most
    of my company machines and find that it catches things that others don't
    and even things that it does not have an updated definition for.

    For home use, I run NAV 2003 and will upgrade to 2004 when my license
    expires on those machines.

    (Remove 999 to reply to me)

    Leythos, Mar 2, 2004
  5. maflu

    Maflu Guest

    Leythos wrote:
    > In article <4044c7a6$0$28124$>,
    > says...
    >
    >>Leythos wrote:
    >>
    >>>In article <40445fb4$0$28116$>,
    >>> says...

    >>>No, they are not, there are large differences in updates to new threats,
    >>>ability to scan real-time for the scanning engines, and the ability to
    >>>detect NEW threats that don't currently have definitions.
    >>>

    >>What would you recommend?

    > I had wanted to stay out of a recommendation since it always starts a
    > product flame war, but I have used Symantec Corporate AV products and
    > their personal ones for many moons and they have NEVER let me down.
    >
    > I can honestly say that in the 20+ years I've been using, designing, and
    > programming computers and networks I've never been compromised nor have
    > any systems that I've managed.
    >
    > A large part of that is installing quality AV software and knowing how
    > to lock machines down from users and intruders.
    >
    > I've been using Symantec Small Business 8.x (at 8.1 now) edition on most
    > of my company machines and find that it catches things that others don't
    > and even things that it does not have an updated definition for.
    >
    > For home use, I run NAV 2003 and will upgrade to 2004 when my license
    > expires on those machines.

    Thank you for your help.
    Cheers

    Maflu, Mar 2, 2004
  6. maflu

    *Vanguard* Guest

    "maflu" said in news:4044c7a6$0$28124$:
    > Leythos wrote:
    >> In article <40445fb4$0$28116$>,
    >> says...
    >>
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> It seems that now all the main antivirus programs are more or less
    >>> equally effective. Can I buy any for Windows XP pro or do you think
    >>> there is still one or two more effective?

    >> No, they are not, there are large differences in updates to new
    >> threats, ability to scan real-time for the scanning engines, and the
    >> ability to detect NEW threats that don't currently have definitions.
    >>

    > What would you recommend?

    I have used Norton Anti-Virus for several years. At work, we used to
    use the corporate version of McAfee but gave up on it and went to
    Norton's corporate version. You also need to decide the value of all
    the other "stuff" that gets incorporated into a package. Do you want
    just an anti-virus program, or do you want to value (or hassle) of other
    products rolled into a suite. AVG from grisoft.com is a freebie program
    but I don't know the extent of their coverage or to keep updated, and of
    course their intent is to get you to buy their supported version.

    Even should you decide on which one to use, you might want to save links
    to the freebie online checkers from the other vendors. It is possible
    that one vendor knows about a virus before the others. However, if
    you're only polling for updates every day or so then they'll probably
    all get up to speed just a quick. Some viruses and trojans are
    particularly pernicious and take awhile to figure out how to safely or
    best remove them.

    *** Post replies to newsgroup. E-mail is not accepted. ***

    *Vanguard*, Mar 2, 2004