    Does anyone here know an online site that carries a large supply of
    DVD-RW disks? TIA...

    Barbara

    chicagofan, Sep 28, 2007

  2. chicagofan

    Irulan Guest

    "chicagofan" <> wrote in message
    news:2TbLi.46$...
    > For some reason I can't find any of the 4 major brands my DVD recorder
    > specifies as best to use with it. [Mitsubishi, Maxell, JVC, Verbatim]
    >
    > Does anyone here know an online site that carries a large supply of DVD-RW
    > disks? TIA...
    >
    > Barbara

    The brands are still available. Try meritline.com. However, the
    4x are becoming scarce. Most of the time I'll find 8x as the lowest
    speed available. Some of my earlier dvrs won't take anything
    faster than 8x, which makes it difficult. So stock up on the 8x
    discs if you have these dvrs.

    --
    Irulan
    from the stars we come

    Irulan, Sep 29, 2007

  3. chicagofan

    chicagofan Guest

    Irulan wrote:
    > "chicagofan" <>
    >> For some reason I can't find any of the 4 major brands my DVD recorder
    >> specifies as best to use with it. [Mitsubishi, Maxell, JVC, Verbatim]
    >>
    >> Does anyone here know an online site that carries a large supply of DVD-RW
    >> disks? TIA...
    >>
    >> Barbara

    > The brands are still available. Try meritline.com. However, the
    > 4x are becoming scarce. Most of the time I'll find 8x as the lowest
    > speed available. Some of my earlier dvrs won't take anything
    > faster than 8x, which makes it difficult. So stock up on the 8x
    > discs if you have these dvrs.

    Thanks for the web site, although they didn't have any either. I have
    looked exhaustively again today for DVD-RW,4x and have found NONE.

    If my DVD recorder specifies 4x, I can't use anything higher... right?
    bj

    chicagofan, Sep 30, 2007
  4. chicagofan

    Tarkus Guest

    chicagofan wrote:
    > If my DVD recorder specifies 4x, I can't use anything higher... right?

    It should still be able to use the higher discs and burn them at 4x.
    IOW, they're backwards compatible. 8x refers to the maximum speed, not
    the only speed.

    Tarkus, Sep 30, 2007
  5. chicagofan

    chicagofan Guest

    Tarkus wrote:
    > chicagofan wrote:
    >> If my DVD recorder specifies 4x, I can't use anything higher... right?

    > It should still be able to use the higher discs and burn them at 4x.
    > IOW, they're backwards compatible. 8x refers to the maximum speed, not
    > the only speed.

    Thanks so much! Well, surely I can find something now. I was wondering
    why JVC would be able to sell a recorder that you couldn't find media to
    use in it.

    BTW, I tried to find a web site to reduce my *ignorance* about this, but
    couldn't, so I really appreciate your response. :)
    bj

    chicagofan, Sep 30, 2007
  6. chicagofan

    Tarkus Guest

    chicagofan wrote:
    > Tarkus wrote:
    >> chicagofan wrote:
    >>> If my DVD recorder specifies 4x, I can't use anything higher... right?

    >> It should still be able to use the higher discs and burn them at 4x.
    >> IOW, they're backwards compatible. 8x refers to the maximum speed,
    >> not the only speed.

    > Thanks so much! Well, surely I can find something now. I was wondering
    > why JVC would be able to sell a recorder that you couldn't find media to
    > use in it.
    >
    > BTW, I tried to find a web site to reduce my *ignorance* about this, but
    > couldn't, so I really appreciate your response. :)

    No problem. Glad to help.

    Just to add to what I said about being backwards compatible, many people
    CHOOSE to burn at slower speeds, because it arguably creates a more
    robust and dependable recording. Most programs allow you to choose the
    speed (up to what your recorder will support), along with a "Max Speed"
    setting, that will burn as fast as your recorder allows.

    Personally, I almost always burn at max speed, but if I was recording
    something especially important, I might burn at a slower speed, just to
    be on the safe side.

    Again personally, when buying media, I generally go with name brands on
    sale, and don't even pay attention to speed. I don't burn enough to
    worry about saving a little time on each disc.

    --
    Now Playing: Masters of Reality - The Ballad of Jody Frosty

    Tarkus, Sep 30, 2007
  7. chicagofan

    Isis Guest

    :
    :Does anyone here know an online site that carries a large supply of
    :DVD-RW disks? TIA...
    :
    :Barbara

    I'm guessing you mean DVD-R, since no one would need a huge supply of
    the R/W's.

    I have a Sony 8X burner that I use to burn everything at 4X.

    I get my 16X DVD+R's at WalMart, whatever is cheapest that day. Usually,
    they run about 40 cents apiece.

    Isis

    Isis, Oct 2, 2007
  8. On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 10:22:57 -0700, Tarkus <>
    wrote:

    >Just to add to what I said about being backwards compatible, many people
    >CHOOSE to burn at slower speeds, because it arguably creates a more
    >robust and dependable recording.

    Back in the bad old days of single power recording drives "contrast
    ratio" was a terrible issue. The speed the disc surface passed under the
    head had a directly proportional relationship to the contrast ratio of
    the ablatement given to the recording layer.

    It is not supposed to be the case any longer with multi-power level
    laser heads in the recorders of today. One should be able to achieve the
    same contrast ratio on a 16X recording as one would find on a 4x
    recording.

    SHOULD being the key word here. As far as I have been able to tell,
    that IS the case, and we are not supposed to have the same worries that
    plagued the optical disc storage realm in days past.

    IF the power level is indeed set at different levels for different
    speeds, then this is entirely a non-issue. The contrast ratio of a
    recording is 100% based on the level of impingement the laser provides
    onto the disc recording layer as it passes under the head. There are no
    other parameters.

    IF the variable power level output drives are a bunch of hype, and do
    not actually perform as claimed, then you assertion is valid. Otherwise,
    it is old school, and no longer applicable to the real world.

    UltimatePatriot, Oct 2, 2007
  9. chicagofan

    Tarkus Guest

    UltimatePatriot wrote:
    > On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 10:22:57 -0700, Tarkus <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Just to add to what I said about being backwards compatible, many people
    >> CHOOSE to burn at slower speeds, because it arguably creates a more
    >> robust and dependable recording.

    > Back in the bad old days of single power recording drives "contrast
    > ratio" was a terrible issue. The speed the disc surface passed under the
    > head had a directly proportional relationship to the contrast ratio of
    > the ablatement given to the recording layer.
    >
    > It is not supposed to be the case any longer with multi-power level
    > laser heads in the recorders of today. One should be able to achieve the
    > same contrast ratio on a 16X recording as one would find on a 4x
    > recording.
    >
    > SHOULD being the key word here. As far as I have been able to tell,
    > that IS the case, and we are not supposed to have the same worries that
    > plagued the optical disc storage realm in days past.
    >
    > IF the power level is indeed set at different levels for different
    > speeds, then this is entirely a non-issue. The contrast ratio of a
    > recording is 100% based on the level of impingement the laser provides
    > onto the disc recording layer as it passes under the head. There are no
    > other parameters.
    >
    > IF the variable power level output drives are a bunch of hype, and do
    > not actually perform as claimed, then you assertion is valid. Otherwise,
    > it is old school, and no longer applicable to the real world.

    Thanks, I hadn't heard that before, and is good to know.

    Tarkus, Oct 2, 2007
  10. chicagofan

    Guest

    Tarkus wrote:

    > UltimatePatriot wrote:
    > > On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 10:22:57 -0700, Tarkus <>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > >> Just to add to what I said about being backwards compatible, many people
    > >> CHOOSE to burn at slower speeds, because it arguably creates a more
    > >> robust and dependable recording.

    > > Back in the bad old days of single power recording drives "contrast
    > > ratio" was a terrible issue. The speed the disc surface passed under the
    > > head had a directly proportional relationship to the contrast ratio of
    > > the ablatement given to the recording layer.
    > >

    > Thanks, I hadn't heard that before, and is good to know.

    This may or may not be a valid assumption, but I burn at the same speed
    that the disc will verify at. In other words, if I burn a disc at 12x
    and it slows down to 8x-10x for verification, then I am assuming that
    12x is too fast for that batch of discs.

    , Oct 3, 2007
  11. chicagofan

    Tarkus Guest

    wrote:
    > This may or may not be a valid assumption, but I burn at the same speed
    > that the disc will verify at. In other words, if I burn a disc at 12x
    > and it slows down to 8x-10x for verification, then I am assuming that
    > 12x is too fast for that batch of discs.

    I personally don't worry about speeds. I just set the software at "Max
    Speed" and let it do its thing. More often than not it burns less than
    the true maximum speed, but the result is positive, so I'm assuming it's
    burning as fast as it safely can.

    Again, I don't burn enough to worry about speeds anyway. If I burn
    three discs in a day, it was a pretty big day for burning discs. One or
    two here and there is more the norm.

    --
    Now Playing: Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush - Broken Heart Blues

    Tarkus, Oct 3, 2007
  12. chicagofan

    chicagofan Guest

    Isis wrote:
    > On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 14:38:52 -0400, chicagofan <> wrote:
    >
    > :For some reason I can't find any of the 4 major brands my DVD recorder
    > :specifies as best to use with it. [Mitsubishi, Maxell, JVC, Verbatim]
    > :
    > :Does anyone here know an online site that carries a large supply of
    > :DVD-RW disks? TIA...
    >

    > I'm guessing you mean DVD-R, since no one would need a huge supply of
    > the R/W's.
    >
    > I have a Sony 8X burner that I use to burn everything at 4X.
    >
    > Isis

    Sorry, no... I really meant -RW. What I should have said was, I needed
    places who stocked big inventories, that would be likely to have a few
    4x DVD-RWs in stock. Not finding any... seemed really strange. :)

    My recorder specified 4 brand name "4x" DVD-RW disks, which I couldn't find.
    bj

    chicagofan, Oct 3, 2007
  13. On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 15:39:17 -0400, chicagofan <> wrote:

    >Isis wrote:
    >> On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 14:38:52 -0400, chicagofan <> wrote:
    >>
    >> :For some reason I can't find any of the 4 major brands my DVD recorder
    >> :specifies as best to use with it. [Mitsubishi, Maxell, JVC, Verbatim]
    >> :
    >> :Does anyone here know an online site that carries a large supply of
    >> :DVD-RW disks? TIA...
    >>

    >> I'm guessing you mean DVD-R, since no one would need a huge supply of
    >> the R/W's.
    >>
    >> I have a Sony 8X burner that I use to burn everything at 4X.
    >>
    >> Isis

    >Sorry, no... I really meant -RW. What I should have said was, I needed
    >places who stocked big inventories, that would be likely to have a few
    >4x DVD-RWs in stock. Not finding any... seemed really strange. :)
    >
    >My recorder specified 4 brand name "4x" DVD-RW disks, which I couldn't find.
    >bj

    What is so big about RW? After a shorter period of time than any other
    format, the discs lose data.

    ChairmanOfTheBored, Oct 4, 2007
  14. chicagofan

    Paul MR Guest

    chicagofan wrote:
    > For some reason I can't find any of the 4 major brands my DVD recorder
    > specifies as best to use with it. [Mitsubishi, Maxell, JVC, Verbatim]
    >
    > Does anyone here know an online site that carries a large supply of
    > DVD-RW disks? TIA...
    >
    > Barbara

    The brick and mortar stores I browse all seem to have a good supply of
    various of the brands you name. They all have websites: Office Depot,
    Office Max, Target, Circuit City, Comp USA. I just bought some Maxells
    at Office Depot this past Monday.
    Paul

    Paul MR, Oct 4, 2007
  15. chicagofan

    chicagofan Guest

    Paul MR wrote:
    > chicagofan wrote:
    >> For some reason I can't find any of the 4 major brands my DVD recorder
    >> specifies as best to use with it. [Mitsubishi, Maxell, JVC, Verbatim]
    >>
    >> Does anyone here know an online site that carries a large supply of
    >> DVD-RW disks? TIA...
    >>
    >> Barbara

    > The brick and mortar stores I browse all seem to have a good supply of
    > various of the brands you name. They all have websites: Office Depot,
    > Office Max, Target, Circuit City, Comp USA. I just bought some Maxells
    > at Office Depot this past Monday.
    > Paul

    I have shopped all those online sites and been to the Office Depot near
    me 3 times... without success... looking specifically for the 4x DVD-RW.
    bj

    chicagofan, Oct 4, 2007
  16. chicagofan

    chicagofan Guest

    ChairmanOfTheBored wrote:
    > On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 15:39:17 -0400, chicagofan <> wrote:
    >
    >> Isis wrote:
    >>> I'm guessing you mean DVD-R, since no one would need a huge supply of
    >>> the R/W's. I have a Sony 8X burner that I use to burn everything at 4X.

    >> Sorry, no... I really meant -RW. What I should have said was, I needed
    >> places who stocked big inventories, that would be likely to have a few
    >> 4x DVD-RWs in stock. Not finding any... seemed really strange. :)
    >>
    >> My recorder specified 4 brand name "4x" DVD-RW disks, which I couldn't find.
    >> bj

    > What is so big about RW? After a shorter period of time than any other
    > format, the discs lose data.

    I simply want disks that can be rewritten; to copy TV shows, watch,
    erase. [Reducing the disk changing.]
    bj

    chicagofan, Oct 4, 2007
  17. chicagofan

    Tarkus Guest

    ChairmanOfTheBored wrote:
    > What is so big about RW? After a shorter period of time than any other
    > format, the discs lose data.

    That just makes them a poor choice for longterm storage. For short term
    storage what's "big" about them is they can be reused.

    Tarkus, Oct 4, 2007
  18. chicagofan

    Paul MR Guest

    chicagofan wrote:
    > Paul MR wrote:
    >> chicagofan wrote:
    >>> For some reason I can't find any of the 4 major brands my DVD
    >>> recorder specifies as best to use with it. [Mitsubishi, Maxell, JVC,
    >>> Verbatim]
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone here know an online site that carries a large supply of
    >>> DVD-RW disks? TIA...
    >>>
    >>> Barbara

    >> The brick and mortar stores I browse all seem to have a good supply of
    >> various of the brands you name. They all have websites: Office Depot,
    >> Office Max, Target, Circuit City, Comp USA. I just bought some
    >> Maxells at Office Depot this past Monday.
    >> Paul

    > I have shopped all those online sites and been to the Office Depot near
    > me 3 times... without success... looking specifically for the 4x DVD-RW.
    > bj

    Somehow you must have missed or overlooked Office Depot's item number
    274656, which is a 15 pack of Maxell DVD-RW for only $8.99 after $17.00
    of "instant savings." I have no financial or other interest in this
    store or this brand, I'm just saying that what you seek is out there.
    Paul

    Paul MR, Oct 4, 2007
  19. chicagofan

    Paul MR Guest

    chicagofan wrote:
    > For some reason I can't find any of the 4 major brands my DVD recorder
    > specifies as best to use with it. [Mitsubishi, Maxell, JVC, Verbatim]
    >
    > Does anyone here know an online site that carries a large supply of
    > DVD-RW disks? TIA...
    >
    > Barbara

    I have learned to be very suspicious of these kinds of particular brand
    recommendations. It can amount to an anti-trust violation called
    "tying." I am old enough to remember when RCA radios specified that you
    must replace worn out vacuum tubes with RCA brand tubes OR ELSE! Then
    there was "only" Xerox brand paper for Xerox photocopiers. "Only" IBM
    brand punch cards for early IBM computers. "Only" Toyota spark plugs
    for your Toyota. The list was almost endless. My favorite was when
    General Motors got caught specifying "only" genuine Cadillac parts for
    its Cadillacs; it turned out that they were the exact same parts GM sold
    for its Chevrolets -- except in a different package at more than double
    the price! Phooey!

    Barbara, since you are doing rewrites and not archiving anything
    important, try testing various other brands by borrowing disks from
    friends. Being RW, they will be reusable. For your purposes they may
    work out just as well as the four specified brands. I can't imagine how
    they would harm your hardware in any way whatever.
    Paul

    Paul MR, Oct 4, 2007
  20. chicagofan

    chicagofan Guest

    Paul MR wrote:
    > chicagofan wrote:
    >> Paul MR wrote:

    >>> The brick and mortar stores I browse all seem to have a good supply
    >>> of various of the brands you name. They all have websites: Office
    >>> Depot, Office Max, Target, Circuit City, Comp USA. I just bought
    >>> some Maxells at Office Depot this past Monday.
    >>> Paul

    >> I have shopped all those online sites and been to the Office Depot
    >> near me 3 times... without success... looking specifically for the 4x
    >> DVD-RW.
    >> bj

    > Somehow you must have missed or overlooked Office Depot's item number
    > 274656, which is a 15 pack of Maxell DVD-RW for only $8.99 after $17.00
    > of "instant savings." I have no financial or other interest in this
    > store or this brand, I'm just saying that what you seek is out there.
    > Paul

    The mfr. no. said it's 2X, and that's why I skipped it, besides not
    needing 15. I'll check again, and make sure they haven't gotten some
    new stock in. Thanks...
    bj

    chicagofan, Oct 4, 2007