    Silver 5, also well rated. Any experience, anyone?

    Probably can't go wrong with the Ceramique. About to install an
    XP2400+ with Zalman AL-CU 7000 heatsink.

    GraB, Nov 16, 2004

  2. In article <>, GraB <> wrote:
    >Anyone used this? Seems well rated and half the price of Arctic
    >Silver 5, also well rated. Any experience, anyone?

    *SNIP*
    I'm using it on an A64-3400, and it seems to be doing just fine. When
    it finally stabilises, which can take a couple of weeks, the CPU
    temperature is generally very constant.
    I'm using a TT all-copper heat sink, and to the best of my knowledge the
    CPU has never gone above 42 degrees. That's even doing a full
    buildworld under FreeBSD. I wouldn't imagine you'll have too many
    problems with an XP3200.

    --
    Matthew Poole Auckland, New Zealand
    "Veni, vidi, velcro...

    My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet

    Matthew Poole, Nov 16, 2004

  3. GraB

    S Roby Guest

    In article <>, GraB <> wrote:
    >Anyone used this? Seems well rated and half the price of Arctic
    >Silver 5, also well rated. Any experience, anyone?
    >
    >Probably can't go wrong with the Ceramique. About to install an
    >XP2400+ with Zalman AL-CU 7000 heatsink.

    http://www.dansdata.com/goop.htm

    "if you think any particular grease is going to cause your CPU to run more
    than a few degrees Celsius cooler than any other grease, though, then assuming
    the grease is properly applied, you're dreaming."

    "Just be aware that it's not magic, and don't expect the most expensive stuff
    to work very much better than generic grease."

    He compared a few types of compond & vegemite & toothpaste

    S Roby, Nov 17, 2004
  4. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 07:35:42 GMT, le (S Roby) wrote:

    >In article <>, GraB <> wrote:
    >>Anyone used this? Seems well rated and half the price of Arctic
    >>Silver 5, also well rated. Any experience, anyone?
    >>
    >>Probably can't go wrong with the Ceramique. About to install an
    >>XP2400+ with Zalman AL-CU 7000 heatsink.

    >http://www.dansdata.com/goop.htm
    >
    >"if you think any particular grease is going to cause your CPU to run more
    >than a few degrees Celsius cooler than any other grease, though, then assuming
    >the grease is properly applied, you're dreaming."
    >
    >"Just be aware that it's not magic, and don't expect the most expensive stuff
    >to work very much better than generic grease."
    >
    >He compared a few types of compond & vegemite & toothpaste

    According to this review:
    http://www.thetechzone.com/reviews/roundup/thermal_compound/index.shtml]
    There is a significant difference between the different options.

    100% load temps range from 30.4 to 38.4.

    GraB, Nov 17, 2004
  5. In article <IiCmd.3136$> in nz.comp on Wed, 17
    Nov 2004 07:35:42 GMT, S Roby <> says...
    > In article <>, GraB <> wrote:
    > >Anyone used this? Seems well rated and half the price of Arctic
    > >Silver 5, also well rated. Any experience, anyone?
    > >
    > >Probably can't go wrong with the Ceramique. About to install an
    > >XP2400+ with Zalman AL-CU 7000 heatsink.

    > http://www.dansdata.com/goop.htm
    >
    > "if you think any particular grease is going to cause your CPU to run more
    > than a few degrees Celsius cooler than any other grease, though, then assuming
    > the grease is properly applied, you're dreaming."
    >
    > "Just be aware that it's not magic, and don't expect the most expensive stuff
    > to work very much better than generic grease."
    >
    > He compared a few types of compond & vegemite & toothpaste

    Grease is thermal conductivity, however the actual removal of heat is
    done by the heatsink/fan. You can get away without grease, but not
    without a heatsink.

    Patrick Dunford, Nov 17, 2004
  6. GraB

    T-Boy Guest

    In article <>,
    lid says...
    > In article <IiCmd.3136$> in nz.comp on Wed, 17
    > Nov 2004 07:35:42 GMT, S Roby <> says...
    > > In article <>, GraB <> wrote:
    > > >Anyone used this? Seems well rated and half the price of Arctic
    > > >Silver 5, also well rated. Any experience, anyone?
    > > >
    > > >Probably can't go wrong with the Ceramique. About to install an
    > > >XP2400+ with Zalman AL-CU 7000 heatsink.

    > > http://www.dansdata.com/goop.htm
    > >
    > > "if you think any particular grease is going to cause your CPU to run more
    > > than a few degrees Celsius cooler than any other grease, though, then assuming
    > > the grease is properly applied, you're dreaming."
    > >
    > > "Just be aware that it's not magic, and don't expect the most expensive stuff
    > > to work very much better than generic grease."
    > >
    > > He compared a few types of compond & vegemite & toothpaste

    > Grease is thermal conductivity, however the actual removal of heat is
    > done by the heatsink/fan. You can get away without grease, but not
    > without a heatsink.

    You run your car without oil? Water?

    To exagerate the point, try putting a piece of paper between CPU and
    heatsink. It'll shutdown in a matter of seconds.

    Thermal grease makes a *big* difference to heat conductivity - and is
    essential on todays processors.

    --
    Duncan

    T-Boy, Nov 19, 2004