Archos Gmini 400

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by nrsjunkmail@yahoo.com, Jan 24, 2005.

  1. Guest

    I just wanted to post to let people know that the Gmini 400 is an
    excellent digital photo wallet. I waited a while to get one of these
    and the Archos Gmini400 or Gmini 400 does many things OK but a few
    things really well.

    1) Photo Wallet:
    This function is where this product excels. I can take a 500MB
    Flash Card (CF) and download it at superfast USB 2.0 Speeds. I was
    really impressed. You can pre-name a bunch of folders on the Gmini or
    rename on the fly. Battery life is awesome. This is as I see it the
    primary function of this little device. On vacation this device is
    perfect. You have 20GB of picture room, more than enough unless you are
    shooting RAW for a whole day with no downloading.

    2) Movie Function
    The Gmini 400 is OK for this. It CANNOT, I repeat cannot handle 720
    x whatever full DVD resolution without stuttering. The device has to
    keep hitting the hard drive as its buffer seems to get exhausted and as
    a result you get a brief but annoying stutter in the video. I am still
    working to work the video size down to 320x or 352x whatever and this
    works very well as expected but I get a somewhat wierd side effect of
    pixelation in the middle of a clip. For example: if a clip is 25
    minutes long. At about minute 12-15 the video goes from awesome to a
    pixelated mess that looks horrible. Advance the clip to minute 20 and
    voila we are back to awesome quality. This happens over and over again
    and I am still trying to figure it out. If anyone has a clue on this
    let me know.

    3) Music
    Works very well, but it ain't an iPod.
    4) Output to TV, Works very well, the picture quality is excellent.

    , Jan 24, 2005

  2. B. Peg Guest

    Try searching for "PocketDivxEncoder." It may help with your sizing
    problems and I use it with an Archos AV420. So far, I haven't experienced
    the problems you have, although it has taken me forever to figure out how to
    rip DVD's correctly (i.e. DVDShrink, DVD Decrypter, AnyDVD, VirtualDub,
    PocketDivxEncoder, Magic DVD Ripper, DivX 5.2.1, and Super DVD Ripper.)

    I find that if the thing won't play well in one of the computer's player
    like Nero's player, trying to load it into the Archos is pointless. Another
    scheme is if you can load directly onto the player from the source (from the
    DVD player to the recorder's input if your has that feature). Takes less
    time and quality isn't bad.

    B~

    B. Peg, Jan 24, 2005

  3. wrote:
    [trimmed]
    > 1) Photo Wallet:
    > This function is where this product excels. I can take a 500MB
    > Flash Card (CF) and download it at superfast USB 2.0 Speeds.

    What does USB have to do with the CF -> Gmini transfer? This is
    a direct xfer from the CF socket to the disk, and does not use
    USB.

    Naturally, a fast implementation of USB2.0 is great for transferring
    from the Gmini to my computer. How long does it take to xfer, say,
    200 images of 2.5MB each (total of 500MB) to your computer? But more
    importantly - how long to originally xfer the same data from your CF
    (exactly which one?) to the Gmini?

    The above may look picky but without objective data it is hard for
    me to get excited about it. I have looked at tests of a few units
    and found them incredibly slow where it matters (CF->Disk in the
    field) where my 2GB CF would take 30-60m to download (in other
    words impractical).

    A modern CF should deliver 5MB/s (faster ones easily more than
    double this) meaning a full 2GB CF should xfer in under 10m.
    500MB should take less than 2m.

    --
    Eyal Lebedinsky () <http://samba.org/eyal/>
    attach .zip as .dat

    Eyal Lebedinsky, Jan 24, 2005
  4. Guest

    I don't have an exact time for you but suffice it to say that a 500MB
    CF Lexar 40x Card took about 2-3 minutes to transfer. Not bad don't you
    think?

    I will try and time it and get you a number.

    , Jan 24, 2005