Archiving Email

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Scott Nelson, Jul 8, 2006.

  1. Scott Nelson

    Scott Nelson Guest

    I would like to archive my email up to a certain date and save it in
    another folder. I would then like to start fresh in Thunderbird with
    only new mail from that date on.

    I don't want to throw out the old email(going back to 2001), but since I
    don't need immediate access to it, I would like it archived somewhere.
    When I back up my profile now it takes a while because of all this old
    email.

    A friend using Outlook Express (I've tried converting him) simply
    highlights the email and drags it to another folder and it's taken care
    of. I've tried this with Thunderbird and it doesn't work.

    Any ideas?

    Scott
    --
    Stop by and visit me on the Web...

    http://www.treasuredude.net.tc
    or
    http://pie.midco.net/treasuredude

    "If you give a person a fish, they'll fish for a day. But if you train a
    person to fish, they'll fish for a lifetime."
    - Dan Quayle
    Scott Nelson, Jul 8, 2006

  2. Scott Nelson

    gwtc Guest

    Scott Nelson wrote:

    > I would like to archive my email up to a certain date and save it in
    > another folder. I would then like to start fresh in Thunderbird with
    > only new mail from that date on.
    >
    > I don't want to throw out the old email(going back to 2001), but since I
    > don't need immediate access to it, I would like it archived somewhere.
    > When I back up my profile now it takes a while because of all this old
    > email.
    >
    > A friend using Outlook Express (I've tried converting him) simply
    > highlights the email and drags it to another folder and it's taken care
    > of. I've tried this with Thunderbird and it doesn't work.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Scott

    unfortunately, TB doesn't have an archive thing like OE does.
    However, you can still archive the messages, but it does take a long
    way to do it. What I do is place all my 2004 messages into a folder
    called 2004. Then I click on File, Compact Folders. Then using my
    file manager, within the TB profile, I copy that 2004 file to some
    place else. Now, in TB, I delete the file. There, done.

    Now, if I should ever need those messages again, I close TB, copy the
    2004 file and move it back into TB. Then I restart TB, and all those
    messages should be there.

    --
    You Know You're Getting Even Older When . . . you wake up looking like
    your driver's license picture.
    gwtc, Jul 8, 2006

  3. Scott Nelson

    gwtc Guest

    gwtc, Jul 8, 2006
  4. Scott Nelson

    Scott Nelson Guest

    Thank you! I tried this on some 'test' messages and it worked
    beautifully. Much appreciated.

    Scott

    Scott Nelson, Jul 9, 2006
  5. Scott Nelson