    when a router either is not reachable, or fails during the show-command ...

    Tnx, -gg

    , Nov 7, 2003

  2. In article <boga1s$6rj$>, <> wrote:
    :For the sake of keeping backups of current router configs, I'd like to
    :set up some script that automatically stores configs (and, via RCS, keep
    :history information on the changes). Currently, I'm using a
    :netcat-script to get the current config, which works. I've just seen a
    :tool by Solarwinds that allows reading and updating the config, through
    :use of a TFTP server ... it says something about "copying through
    :COPYMIB" or so - couldn't get any info though on how it works by
    :enabling the SNMP debug on the router ... Any idea?

    http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/477/SNMP/copy_configs_snmp.shtml
    --
    Disobey all self-referential sentences!

    Walter Roberson, Nov 7, 2003

  3. On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 15:26:04 +0100, wrote:

    >For the sake of keeping backups of current router configs, I'd like to
    >set up some script that automatically stores configs (and, via RCS, keep
    >history information on the changes).

    I'd use RANCID for this before using SNMP.
    http://www.shrubbery.net/rancid/

    -Terry

    Terry Baranski, Nov 8, 2003
  4. Targa Guest

    Kiwi Cat Tools does a good job of this.

    http://www.kiwisyslog.com/products.htm#cattools

    Targa, Nov 10, 2003
  5. Targa Guest

    Targa, Nov 10, 2003
  6. Guest

    One key word... free! <G> But CaTTools 2.0x is a great product.

    http://www.netlatency.com/utilities.html

    WrNet
    Use this utility to save your router's running-config to a TFTP
    server. If you automate this with the Windows NT/2000 scheduler, you
    can get regular backups of your router configuration.

    WrTFTP
    Use this utility to save your Cisco Catalyst (Kalpana) switch's
    configuration to a TFTP server. If you automate this with the Windows
    NT/2000 scheduler, you can get regular backups of your switch
    configuration

    wrote in message news:<boga1s$6rj$>...
    > For the sake of keeping backups of current router configs, I'd like to
    > set up some script that automatically stores configs (and, via RCS, keep
    > history information on the changes). Currently, I'm using a
    > netcat-script to get the current config, which works. I've just seen a
    > tool by Solarwinds that allows reading and updating the config, through
    > use of a TFTP server ... it says something about "copying through
    > COPYMIB" or so - couldn't get any info though on how it works by
    > enabling the SNMP debug on the router ... Any idea? The netcat-approach,
    > while working, isn't really that satisfying, as it sometimes gets stuck
    > when a router either is not reachable, or fails during the show-command ...
    >
    > Tnx, -gg

    , Nov 11, 2003
  7. pi1220 Guest

    wrote in message news:<>...
    > One key word... free! <G> But CaTTools 2.0x is a great product.
    >
    > http://www.netlatency.com/utilities.html
    >
    > WrNet
    > Use this utility to save your router's running-config to a TFTP
    > server. If you automate this with the Windows NT/2000 scheduler, you
    > can get regular backups of your router configuration.
    >
    > WrTFTP
    > Use this utility to save your Cisco Catalyst (Kalpana) switch's
    > configuration to a TFTP server. If you automate this with the Windows
    > NT/2000 scheduler, you can get regular backups of your switch
    > configuration

    Actually a great utility except for one thing I'm having alot of
    trouble getting my 3550s and 3548s to back up using WRTFTP. I went
    through there read me files and add the SNMP info but still nothing.
    I've tried both WRtftp and WRnet but I get ERROR community string or
    SNMP error.. My routers and 6509 and 4000 were a piece of cake but
    these are killing me..

    pi1220, Nov 12, 2003
  8. In article <>,
    pi1220 <> wrote:
    :Actually a great utility except for one thing I'm having alot of
    :trouble getting my 3550s and 3548s to back up using WRTFTP. I went
    :through there read me files and add the SNMP info but still nothing.
    :I've tried both WRtftp and WRnet but I get ERROR community string or
    :SNMP error.. My routers and 6509 and 4000 were a piece of cake but
    :these are killing me..

    Perhaps your 3550's and 3548's use the new style of SNMP. Please see

    http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/477/SNMP/copy_configs_snmp.shtml
    --
    So you found your solution
    What will be your last contribution?

    Walter Roberson, Nov 13, 2003
  9. Guest

    Make sure your SNMP lines don't have any "@" in the strings. I have
    found that having an "at" sign "@" in SNMP community strings screws up
    snmp gets for many things. If you don't have an "@" in your string,
    might be worth an email to the

    Wait, you said WRTFTP, not WRNET?

    The 3550/48's use IOS not CATALYST IOS. The WRTFTP is for _catalyst
    based IOS on the 4000,5000,6000,6500. You know the REAL switch ios. :)

    Try doing a Set vlan 41 2/1-47 on the 3550 with that crappy switch
    IOS.

    You can't, it takes visiting each interface and putting the old
    switchport access vlan x comand 50 times... unless something new has
    developed. :)

    You need to run WRNET on those boxes. WRNET is for routers, but since
    the CAT 2900/3500 use a "switch" version of the IOS that is very
    "router like" it should work. I have wrnet copying configs for
    2900/3500's with no problems

    > Actually a great utility except for one thing I'm having alot of
    > trouble getting my 3550s and 3548s to back up using WRTFTP. I went
    > through there read me files and add the SNMP info but still nothing.
    > I've tried both WRtftp and WRnet but I get ERROR community string or
    > SNMP error.. My routers and 6509 and 4000 were a piece of cake but
    > these are killing me..

    , Nov 13, 2003
  10. In article <>,
    <> wrote:
    :The 3550/48's use IOS not CATALYST IOS. The WRTFTP is for _catalyst
    :based IOS on the 4000,5000,6000,6500. You know the REAL switch ios. :)

    :Try doing a Set vlan 41 2/1-47 on the 3550 with that crappy switch
    :IOS.

    :You can't, it takes visiting each interface and putting the old
    :switchport access vlan x comand 50 times... unless something new has
    :developed. :)

    You mean something new like the "interface range" selector ?
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products...de_chapter09186a008007e712.html#xtocid1630812

    According to the Command Reference, this has existed since 12.1(4)EA1
    which was the very first release that supported the 3550 at all.

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products...eference_chapter09186a00800d758b.html#1861863
    --
    Admit it -- you peeked ahead to find out how this message ends!

    Walter Roberson, Nov 13, 2003
  11. Guest

    Interesting command, but it looks to be more of a macro you have to
    define then execute. But, it is better than nothing. Still the CATos
    imho is the best CLI for the switches.

    Did the wrnet work on your switch?

    > :You can't, it takes visiting each interface and putting the old
    > :switchport access vlan x comand 50 times... unless something new has
    > :developed. :)
    >
    > You mean something new like the "interface range" selector ?
    > http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products...de_chapter09186a008007e712.html#xtocid1630812
    >
    > According to the Command Reference, this has existed since 12.1(4)EA1
    > which was the very first release that supported the 3550 at all.
    >
    > http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products...eference_chapter09186a00800d758b.html#1861863

    , Nov 14, 2003
  12. In article <>,
    <> top-posted:

    :> You mean something new like the "interface range" selector ?

    :> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products...eference_chapter09186a00800d758b.html#1861863

    :Interesting command, but it looks to be more of a macro you have to
    :define then execute. But, it is better than nothing.

    'define interface-range' can be used to build a macro grouping a number
    of ports, but 'interface range' itself is a command in which
    you can either list the port ranges manually or you can refer to
    a previously-defined macro.

    I would agree, though, that the 'interface range' command executes -like-
    a macro, in that it applies the configuration steps you give to
    all the designated ports, but is not itself registered as a
    command to be saved as part of the configuration.

    :Did the wrnet work on your switch?

    Never tried it. I was interjecting on an existing conversation.
    --
    Tenser, said the Tensor.
    Tenser, said the Tensor.

    Walter Roberson, Nov 14, 2003